CPE EMS Tunes

So I took my car to Mike at Altered Atmosphere Motorsports in Gaithersburg, MD today for the base tune. I asked for the boost to be raised to 16 psi. Again, this is my daily driver so it is on the conservative side. The max horsepower is only increased by 5 hp or so. The max torque increase was 31 ft/lb! (mj) The horsepower number is a bit disappointing until you look at the graph. I basically make between 5 and 20 hp gain across the board but the biggest gains are between 3000 and 5000 RPM and 5500 to redline, essentially flattening out that curve. This because the car is pretty maxed out in the stock form at 5500. Not really sure why that is but Mike actually was hearing a slight knock at around 5300 (eek2) (dunno) (nervous) with the stock Mazda tune (bypass plug in). This might explain the powerloss issue that plagued this car early on and why they had to engineer it in to the ecu... This is likely why they made it run so rich to prevent or minimize detonation. The reason for the power after 5500 comes from the Standback's PID boost controller holding boost more consistently. Overall the peak hp number isn't that great but the looking at the chart you get a good deal more power in the usable driving range. Torque on the other hand, rocks! :D
I'm very pleased with the way this car drives now and feel much more reassured that it's running safely after tuning. Next up, CAI and FMIC and a call to Mike...(cheers)
Here's the dyno run
Mazdaspeed6 base tune hp-tq.JPG
Here are screen shots of the tuning software for my run.

pic_of_boost_page.jpg

pic_of_final_AFR_map_safe.jpg

pic_of_final_timing_map_safe.jpg

wow. great to see. It is a little shocking to me that you only saw about 5 hp difference. what was the pre AFR and boost vs post AFR and boost. Why 16 psi? isn't the stock map "suppose" to hold around 15.6. Seems "very" conservative in my opinion. great to see you got it tuned. hope mike will be ready for me in a week or two!!!!

Grats Dada, glad you got it tuned.
Gaithersburg is 10 hours or 650 odd miles from Nashville. hmmmmmm
Anyone know of a great tuning shop nearer to Tennessee. recommendations please?

so you ran 235hp stock? Where is the dyno map with the RPM? (vs MPH shown here)? Was the boost holding consistently til redline? Will you turn your boost up with the FMIC install? What was your stock AFR and what was it tuned to?

those tables, and mapping look very very user friendly. I've dealt with a few systems, and my Protege had an AEM standalone EMS< and it was a b**** to build and tune maps on it.

Jeph said:
those tables, and mapping look very very user friendly. I've dealt with a few systems, and my Protege had an AEM standalone EMS< and it was a b**** to build and tune maps on it.

My bad on the dyno guys. The program defaults to speed and I forgot to change it. I am also including one with the AFR. I chose 16 just for the gains. Stock is 15.6 so I didn't think I would hurt the turbo. I'll probably go to 17 or 18 with the FMIC. I'm really conservative with this car as it's my DD and I LOVE it. My mod path will be very conservative and leaning toward safety and longevity with performance.
Mazdaspeed6 base tune hp-tq.JPG
Mazdaspeed6 base tune hp-afr.JPG

Man I don't understand those dynos'. Can someone chime in an explain a little? When was the throttle released? Because it seems like the car is still falling on its face post 5500 rpms. It looks like there is good gain from 3k-6.5k, but can the throttle plate be the cause of that serious decline post 5500? I think it would still be beneficial to short shift the car.

Secondly, whats the story with the AFR on the graph? It doesn't look to be under better control vs the stock graph. It seems to lean out as RPM's increase. Maybe I don't understand very well?

So your car was stock 235 whp?

dadasracecar said:
My bad on the dyno guys. The program defaults to speed and I forgot to change it. I am also including one with the AFR. I chose 16 just for the gains. Stock is 15.6 so I didn't think I would hurt the turbo. I'll probably go to 17 or 18 with the FMIC. I'm really conservative with this car as it's my DD and I LOVE it. My mod path will be very conservative and leaning toward safety and longevity with performance.
View attachment 107516
View attachment 107517

MUSOM said:
Man I don't understand those dynos'. Can someone chime in an explain a little? When was the throttle released? Because it seems like the car is still falling on its face post 5500 rpms. It looks like there is good gain from 3k-6.5k, but can the throttle plate be the cause of that serious decline post 5500? I think it would still be beneficial to short shift the car.

Secondly, whats the story with the AFR on the graph? It doesn't look to be under better control vs the stock graph. It seems to lean out as RPM's increase. Maybe I don't understand very well?

So your car was stock 235 whp?

Because there is so much going on with a turbocharged engine, combined with a chaotic throttle plate, these graphs are subject to a lot of speculation. The best I can do if offer what *I* believe is going on, and you can accept or reject my interpretation of the graphs :D

136933.jpg

According to our data logs in the past, the throttle doesn't start to limit boost until about 6000rpm, so any drop-off in power before that can probably be attributed to Jason's stock exhaust system (with 1" outlets and all!). As a "for instance" Dave, your car (with the turboback) will probably hold power much closer to redline because of the increased exhaust breathing at higher rpms. Consider that as air ingested by the engine increases, so does the exhaust volume being expelled. And considering that exhaust flow is what drives the turbo, this may explain why his power falls off early in Jason's case. This also likely why people say that power doesn't fall off as quickly after the installation of a less restrictive exhaust component.

In regards to the air/fuel ratio, you could actually smooth that portion out if you took the time to log and graph your air/fuel ratio. Since our air/fuel tables are 30x30, you have the resolution to clean up those little oscillations. But we had to pay by the hour on the dyno, and this tune is mean to be a "safe" starting point for stock SPEED6's. So consider this to be a conservative, quick and dirty 20hp and 30lbft tune for stockers. Also, look at how the air/fuel starts leaning out after 5700rpm with the stock engine management. That can't be good for EGT's!! (eek2)

David, when we dyno your car you can ask Mike at Altered to really smooth out your air/fuel, but you have to ask yourself if its worth the money. It just takes time, and dare I say that you might have some fun tuning it yourself after Mike gets you in the ballpark.

Jordan

That makes a whole lot more sense. I guess I kinda forgot about his exhaust still being stock. I'm hoping my slope will stay positive until 6k or so. We'll see how it works out soon enough!

Back