Voice Recognition Training

:
Mazda CX5 GTR 2019
Starting to play with new toy and its toys. When I tried to train for voice recognition, it said to find the list of phrases in the owner's manual. It then asked for "Phrase 1," "Phrase 2," etc. There is no list by number that I can find in the manual; there is a long list of phrases on page 41, but they aren't numbered -- leaving a real chance of missing a number (plus some seem repetitive).

Does anyone know where the "list of phrases" is so that I can try to "train" the system (leaving aside whether it will work once trained)?

FiveG

just_phil said:
Pages 6-117 and 6-118

Thank you, muchly.

Ooops -- got home and checked manual. At least in mine, those pages refer to Storage Compartments. Any idea what the topic of the pages you reference is? Maybe I can find it that way.

FiveG

Last edited:
FiveG said:
Thank you, muchly.

Ooops -- got home and checked manual. At least in mine, those pages refer to Storage Compartments. Any idea what the topic of the pages you reference is? Maybe I can find it that way.

FiveG

Well, both of you are correct! Phil has a (usa) version, you have a (canada). Don't know why, but several sections are shorter/missing from the Canadian version. Please find the missing section attached for your convenience.

View attachment Bluetooth_Section_2007_CX9_OM_US.pdf

OMF: Thanks a lot. That is really odd, given that I purchased my vehicle from a Connecticut dealer.

My manual didn't have the whole address book thing (except to the extent in the NAV book) either.

FiveG

Just went out and used the missing pages for phone book and VR training -- thanks, worked perfectly.

FiveG

just_phil said:
I was wondering where you got page 41 from...

It was page 41 from the Navigation Manual. Silly me, I thought that maybe the voice training recognition stuff would be in the manual for the fancy pretty colored screen thing that includes features that work through voice recognition.

It looks like maybe what I've got is an older version of the manual. Mine refers to Ver. 2, but the copy that is on the Mazda website (which includes the pages at issue) is Ver. 3.

Me: "Post Office"

Car: Automotive Store

Me: "Postal Office"

Car: Automotive Parts Store

ME: "UNITED STATES POST OFFICE!"

Car: Hospitals and Emergency Care

ME: "GO F YOURSELF!"

Car: Unknown command, please try again.

ME: Get out of car, get on teh Internets and look it up.

The next question that I would have is whether the voice training for the bluetooth functionality has any impact on the voice recognition with the voice activated navigation. I have had similar experiences with my navigation as Infymus has had. It's actually rather commical, and unfortunately, unusable.

The version of the manual that came with my CX-9 did not have the Bluetooth voice training commands in it. Thanks for posting the newer version. I have contacted my dealer to ask him if I can get the latest version.

I haven't gone through the voice recognition training yet, but I plan on it. Has anyone else done it and had success with the voice recognition for the navigation system as a result?

Thanks,
Patrick

I did the training. So far, Zoom In and Zoom Out work great on the NAVI voice recognition.

On the Bluetooth, actually it works pretty well. I have been able to do a lot of dialing from the address book once it's been given the people and phone numbers. I've also had pretty good success just speaking the phone number and having it dial. It does screw up sometimes, but the good news is it asks you whether the number it's about to dial is correct -- so you don't inadvertantly call "911" when trying to call Auntie Em.

I performed the voice training phrases tonight, unfortunately, I played with the navigation voice recognition afterwards and it still makes the same mistakes it was making before.

My salesperson still claims that the voice recognition will get better over time as it learns your voice. Thing I don't understand is how it will learn my voice if it keeps making the wrong interpretations.

I'll post if I learn anything new about this.

it will learn over time? too funny - methinks that is salesperson speak... haven't got our CX9 yet, but will be anxious to try it out - we also drove an MDX just for kicks (almost $10K more - yikes!) - but the voice recognition worked great, the salesman demo'd it & I tried it, with 100% success... but $10K???

With the blutooth:
(phone button)
(Listening...)
ME: setup
car: waits for a bit.... "OK. Dialing 9-1-1"

I am not making this up. Happened last week at the bottom of the parking garage at work. Luckily I had no signal.

I alos wish the system had a general voice reconition system instead of a dictionary limited one. I cannot see a way to voice search for a specific restaraunt.

IE: my wife and I are sterotypical Starbucks/Tullys yuppie scum junkies. In a strange town I really MUST HAVE the ability to go "find me an f'in Starbucks, damn you!" and have it work. Rather than pulling over and poking at the on-screen keyboard.

IE: my wife and I are sterotypical Starbucks/Tullys yuppie scum junkies. In a strange town I really MUST HAVE the ability to go "find me an f'in Starbucks, damn you!" and have it work. Rather than pulling over and poking at the on-screen keyboard.

Same here, previous Nav systems that I've had (Toyota) had a POI category for Coffee Houses. Really wish this had it, I miss that.

We can hope for a SW upgrade, after all our SW is from 2006.

My 08 GT CX-9 w/GT assist pkg is being shipped from California to Hawaii. With good sailing the car should be here by the second week of Feb 08. From what Infymus stated in his bout with the Navi it was giving him points of interest such as car parts stores and hospitals. And if FiveG was able to get good results from voice training, then maybe he can test it to see if he gets good results on points of interest for those concerned? How about it FiveG...willing to test if the Navi will give you starbucks or post office? Thanks in advance for testing that.

By the way FiveG, what year CX-9 do you have 07, Pre-08, or 08? I believe the Pre-08s came out before October (no option for blind spot sensor module). Since all software versions are the same, perhaps there is a slight difference in the voice recognition hardware between years that would cause success or failure?

Also, does anyone know if the Navi DVD has maps for Hawaii? Would anyone like to take a stab at ploting a course to Honolulu, Hawaii and see if it actually plots it or fails? Thanks in advance.

Old thread; but just an FYI...

I'm pretty sure that the original map disk that came with my pre-08 (GP9A 66 DZ0 C) did not have Alaska or Hawaii. I just upgraded to GP9A 66 DZ0 E and it does include both. I don't know if they were added in the "D" revision or "E" since I never had D. (A bunch of newer neighborhoods in my area were updated too which was nice as having incorrect local info is pretty annoying).

-Jeff

Back