biggest size?

Koenig

:
Black Cherry Mica MS6, Born 01/06
I'm looking at new wheels and i've been thinking about a few things

(correct me if I'm wrong) but as far as I know the stock speed6 wheels are

18x7.5 - 5x114.3 bolt pattern - +55 - +60 mm offset.

All that being said, how big of a tire can I fit on the car without rubbing or problems?

I don't want to go larger than 19 inches, and I was looking at a wheel set from an online wheel shop, and a wheel I liked they offer it in

19x7.5 with a tire package of 225/35/19

I want to know how WIDE of a tire will fit on the car? I've seen some people doing +43 offset without any rubbing.... I don't really want to go super wide and deep dish rims, because I know this car can't do that...

but I was thinking... can I run 19x8.0, 19x8.5 or dare I say 19x9.0 ?? I wouldn't want to go any bigger than 19x9.0 mostly due to weight of tire and rotational mass..... but I was thinking

would I be able to put some 19x8.5 go 1 inch wider from stock? or would I result in tire rubbing, or probably not even enough clearance from the brake caliper...

if someone could point me in the right direction to figure out just exactly WHAT will fit on the car, I would appreciate it.

i found this webpage......... http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp

If i enter my stock tire info and then the upgraded tire info it will basically tell me what will fit or not.... but is the speed6 EXACTLY +55 offset?

now when I put in the stock tire settings in the first one and the put the "upgraded" settings in the second.....for example I used 225/35/19 19x8.0 +45 offset

if you scroll to the bottom to compare you will see the part about "CLEARANCE"

(go ahead and do the set up like I did if you need to see it first hand)

on the clearance issues it says this

Suspension: "100% clear (leaves even more room than OEM) "
Fenders: "Package will stick out 15 mm (0.6'') farther. Acceptable for most cars. "
Wheelwells: "Will fill out the wheelwell by extra 6 mm. Acceptable for most cars."

How can I tell how it'll look sticking out 15 mm further...only 1/2 an inch... is it saying 15 mm further from the FENDER, or 15 mm further from where the stock wheel sits now?

the wheelwell I can tell it fills it out an extra 6 mm, which lets me know how much clearance I can have to lower the car.... and get some springs like the eibach pro-line offered on mazda6online

unless you guys know of any better suspension out there worth my money

Sorry for the long ass post I just wanna get the right answers so I can find out if the rims I'm getting information on, will even fit or I'm just wasting my time....

Actually 19+ would be incorrect I want 19.......nothing larger in terms of rim size..... I've seen a few pictures of speed6's sporting 19s, I happen to like the size and they fill out the wheel well pretty good. I only want to go for a 1" MAYBE 1.5" drop with my car......so there will still be some noticeable gap with an 18 inch rim.....

Plus I've found some 19 inch rims that weigh 18.2 lbs...... and that's still a lot lighter than the stockers which are supposed to weigh 24.3 lbs (or was it 23.4 lbs?)

Last edited:
oh snap, they're only 7 inches wide? so then i should be able to run 19x7.5 right?

Thanks a lot for the info Jdub.....appreciate it.

too bad more people haven't posted pics of their ride with tires, like that 2nd link :(

apparently I should be able to run 18x7.5 with a +48mm offset....

it appears someone has a 20x8 but the tires look as if they stick out a bit, I guess i'll stick with 19x7 if i can even find that.... (2thumbs)

Koenig said:
I only want to go for a 1" MAYBE 1.5" drop with my car......so there will still be some noticeable gap with an 18 inch rim.....
has nothing to do with rim size. See tire bias.

oh well i thought it had to do with rim size i mean if I put a 19x7 in a 215/40/19 tire the sidewall is going to be slightly larger than a 19x7 in a 215/35/19... which I guess is what you said but I'm just thinking of it wrong...

smaller tire to compensate for larger wheel, right?

I also read, according to the thread that the speed6 has a +60mm offset, I thought it was a +55 ?? so i'm dealing with an extra 5 mm? crapola!

One thing to look out for, since the 225/35/19 is not a recommended size for the 6 is the load rating on those tires. You need 91 or greater load rating. I'm guessing you'll be hard pressed to find 225/35 with sufficient load rating. I would try 225/40 instead.

I understand about the speed.... you can also have that reworked to accomdate your larger wheels/tires...... my friend did for his rx-7 (god i love that car, but damn rotaries).

I just figured a LITTLE wider in the tires, to give me more of a "contact patch" between the rubber and the road..... so is it true the mazdaspeed6 has a +60mm offset? I always thought it was +55........ i think offset should be taken into account though...... I can't exactly use a wheel with a +42 offset can I?

cool thing....... using the tire calc you linked me........ stock 215 - 40 - 18 and a new tire size 225 - 35 - 19 show that my speedo will be 1.7% slower..... so i'll be doing 61mph when it says 60...... that's not bad, eh?

All the info you need about offsets and tire sizes are in the link I posted. END OF DISCUSSION. They were derrived from a long list of Mazda6 owners who reported whether their car rubbed or not. Follow the guidelines in that post and you will be safe. Go outside the guidelines and expect to roll and/or pull your fenders. Nuff SAID.

Thank you sir (bowdown) ........although I'm still confused about some points....... the rims I am looking at will fit my car...... now I just need to confirm the tire load rating...

Back