Stock head unit illumination?

vw mofo

:
2007 Mazda5 Touring
I don't often drive our 5 much at night, but I noticed the other day that none of the buttons light up on the head unit. I think it's a bit strange especially considering that the steering wheel controls do light up. Media, disc up down, memory numbers (1,2,3,etc), nothing. it's like a big giant black hole above the hvac controls. Is this right or did I mess something up when I put my auxmod in?

wow. 13 views and none of you can go outside to turn your headlights on for me to answer a simple question? Sweet! You guys rock!

Man just calm down, you won't get any replies with that kind of behavior towards members (no) ...

Of course the center console should be lit. Dude, what car doesn't have it's main controls lit?

Are you shure the dimmer near the RPM display isn't all the way off? If not (probably because the steering wheel lights are on), then you screw up something with your auxmod.

Last edited:
vw mofo said:
wow. 13 views and none of you can go outside to turn your headlights on for me to answer a simple question? Sweet! You guys rock!

Ah, the mofo part of your name is a given name, and not one you chose for yourself...(uhm)

bad form, mofo

you are an impatient and ungrateful little .... person, arent you? by the way, check the dimmer. its the left knob on your spedometer display turn it to the right...

traffikboy said:
you are an impatient and ungrateful little .... person, arent you? by the way, check the dimmer. its the left knob on your spedometer display turn it to the right...
I 2nd that! (lurk)

vw mofo said:

and i noticed you got up at 445 in the morning just to grill us for not responding to your post. (321fu)

So 4 more of you can come in here and bash me, yet none of you can go outside to check to see if the station memory buttons light up?

You guys obviously missed the part where I said the buttons on my steering wheel light up. So do you really think I'd be dumb enough not to check the dimmer?

Last edited:
You're dumb enough to fugg up your install, and then get mad at us for not responding in the way you wanted us to. Of course the center panel should be illuminated, how stupid are you? Never mind, that was a rhetorical question.(braindead

this guy's got nerve

you really don't deserve any help because of your attitude... maybe a moderator can give you warning or something.. (stfu)

perfecto said:
OK OK the question is answered ...

No, it really has not been answered. My center stack DOES light up, just not the radio itself. I am talking about the buttons for the radio itself. 1-6, Media, RND, etc etc.

Sheesh you guys get offended easily. I appologize. Its just extremely frustrating when you ask a simple question that would take someone a grand total of 10 seconds to verify and 13 people can look but not try to help out in fourteen hours and then insult my intelligence by asking my if I checked the dimmer.

I looked and looked last night and it just flat out does not appear that the station memory and source selection buttons light up on my car. Any other button that has light up numbers and text you can feel an indent in the plastic where the text is. Not so on the HU.

To clarify, my HVAC controls DO light as does the radio display itself and everything else that should light up.

Last edited:
Apology accepted. I didn't even see your post until after you posted the "You guys rock". 14 hours isn't that long to wait for an answer.

Now it's bright daylight. I will look tonight to see if those particular controls light up. I would assume they should. Truth to tell, I've not noticed.

Everything should light up. Media, disc up/down, memory numbers. Even the little buttons around our cassette player (yes, we have one) light up.

Well, hey everyone gets off on the wrong foot sometimes. Once you guys get to know me, you'll realize that I'm a crotchety 75 year old man stuck in a 34 year old's body, now get off my lawn!!!! Anyways, sorry again I'll try to keep my temper in better check...

So lovely, it looks as if I've messed up the HU in a car with 2700 miles on it. If all that stuff is supposed to light up, any idea wtf I did? I mean seriously, this isn't a hard mod. Remove HU, unhook the harness, plug in auxmod, reconnect the harness, and re-install the hu. ARGHH!!!

Could be something as simple as the aux mod not being 100% compatible to a pin being bent or broken in the adapter. Sucks big time. Have you tried calling the distributor for their opinion?

I'm still using a FM transmitter with my iPod, and with all the woe and trouble I hear about the Mazda adapter or the Aux Mod, I'm kind of glad I did. The only issue I have with it is that I have to crank up the volume to 15 or 16 to get decent noise out of it.

As far as I knew that was the old version of the aux mod with newer hu's. Well, looks like I'll be pulling the dash apart again this weekend. *sigh*

Back