Convince me: CX-9 vs. SRX

:
Mazda CX5 GTR 2019
I'm looking to replace a ten year old, large SUV. My search has come down between the Mazda CX-9 and a Caddy SRX V6 (which in its 2007 iteration, has greatly improved the interior). Having driven them both, I'm now on the fence.

Given that this is a CX-9 owners (lovers?) forum, I would welcome thoughts anyone has about why that would be the better choice. I know the cost difference is substantial, but taking that out of the equation, why go with the Mazda? If anyone went through a similar analysis, I would really welcome it.

Application is: family of four with large-style teenage girls; with fifth person often in seat. Have moderately large dog, and don't want to necessarily use third row for long trips (because of hit on luggage space).

(By the way, I'm posting a similar thread on an equivalent Caddy forum).

Thanks for input.

FiveG

CX-9 vs. Caddy SRX

In my opinion the reason to buy the CX-9 over the Caddy is the looks. No offense but the Caddy is just ugly. And this is comming from someone who's other car is a Honda Element. The Caddy just looks weird to me. FYI: I just got a CX-9 Touring AWD, Blue with black leather. I really like it. Drives great and I love the way it looks. It just seems to flow well from front to back. The Caddy looks choppy to me. I can't comment on the interior, since I've never seen the the inside of the Caddy. Drive both, which I assume you will, and then decide.

Gtown

I've had my CX-9 for a week now and I love it. I have had my wife and I, with 5 kids from 7 yrs to 5 months ( not all ours ) on a four hour road trip and everyone was comfortable. That is alot of car seats to be side by side and we still had a two seater stroller in the cargo area with some soft luggage. I love the Caddy and I think both vehicles are very easy on thr eyes. I feel it best to save money whenever possible and that is why I have owned Mazdas. I really don't think any other car company can compare to the value/bang for the buck that Mazda can provide. I would find out which options you would need and compare the two cars with the same options on a dollar vs. dollar basis.

A piece of advice: Look into the rearview mirror before and after your testdrive. If you see the JOY on your face, that baby is your choice. I have tested dozens of SUVs and CUVs, and I fall in love with the CX-9. I am still smiling :) EVERY TIME I drive her. It has been engineered to give you that zoom-zoom feeling...

Let us know your decision!

zoom-zoom

Well, in V8 trim, the SRX is a rocket. I have never driven a V6 version, but it still has substantial performance.

In a word, the SRX drives like a bigger vehicle while the CX-9 drives like a smaller car. They may be about the same size, but the CX-9 feels more like a car. The SRX was still a good handling vehicle, but had a more plush ride. So, if you want a sportier ride, the CX-9 is the ticket. If you want a more plush ride, the SRX is a good choice. My parents (in their 60's) just picked up an SRX for that very reason. It drove more like their DTS. We are getting the CX-9 to replace the mini-van we currently have. I really liked the taughter feel of the CX-9 versus the SRX.

Last edited:
I"m so confused!!! I drove the V8 SRX, and you are right: it is a rocket! Not sure re the plush ride, tho' -- I could definately feel control of the road. I will say, however, that the CX-9's interior amenities may win it out -- which sounds weird, but true. That, and the SRX has a middle of the floor hump, but the CX-9 doesn't.

I could never get past GM's cheap stick-on plastic body, overly soft ride, and lousy seats to ever buy one. Once you get by their gimmicks, the actual cars arent that great, and not as reliable. 10K more for a lesser vehicle? CX-9 is a no-brainer

You pretty much summed up American versus foreign cars. :)

The big difference is that Cadillac is a prestige name while Mazda is the little sports car company. But, after looking at the Lexus, Infiniti, Nissan and Acura, I ended up with a Mazda. Go figure. I picked the one that had the best value proposition and drove the most car like.

Last edited:
My, we have some anti-GM bigotry here. :) Cadillacs have turned into great cars, in my opinion. For your choice of CX-9 vs. SRX, I think the CX-9 has a bit more utility and niftiness for your needs. Just better overall packaging. Still nowhere near the useful packaging of a minivan, but that's another story. Bottom line, get what you want to drive. As far as styling, opinions are 100% subjective, except about the Aztek. ;-)

musicola said:
My, we have some anti-GM bigotry here. :) Cadillacs have turned into great cars, in my opinion. For your choice of CX-9 vs. SRX, I think the CX-9 has a bit more utility and niftiness for your needs. Just better overall packaging. Still nowhere near the useful packaging of a minivan, but that's another story. Bottom line, get what you want to drive. As far as styling, opinions are 100% subjective, except about the Aztek. ;-)

Nope. I will praise or criticize any car of any make as they deserve it. GM still is relying too much on gimmicks and not enough on genuine quality and functionality.
The CX-9 is a cross between a station wagon, SUV, and mini van, but does each better, with style. As you mentioned, the Aztek tried the same thing and FAILED at all of those. Too many gimmicks.

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, went with the CX-9. Love the V8 and styling of the Caddy, and it's a great driver's vehicle, but the Mazda still has a goodly amount of "fun" appeal, better technology, better layout for passengers, and pretty good for the driver too. If I was just buying for me, I might have gone the other way, but it's not just for me -- that's what a convertible should be for.

FiveG

Congrats on your new choice, does the Caddy come in an AWD option? I would have suggested the CX-9 as well, AWD can be a big help in poor weather, especially when in regards to safety and having to avoid the idiots on the road....... I also hope you compared safety features, as I believe the CX-9 has a higher safety rating than the SRX? Good choice, I recently got a mazdaspeed6 a week ago and haven't looked back since (headbang)

Caddy did have AWD, so that wasn't an issue. I'll be picking it up shortly, so we'll see!

SNike05 said:
The interior of the SRX sucks. The outside is very nice though.

As the OP noted, the interior has been totally redone for 2007, and is much better now.

The main advantage of the Cadillac would be performance, especially with the V8. It feels more like a regular car from the driver's seat, which can be a pro or a con depending on what you're looking for. To get it to handle well you need the adaptive shocks, which probably are on few if any of the SRX' on a dealer's lot. They make a big difference.

The Mazda is less expensive, and has a far more useful third row.

In general, you can't go far wrong buying a large crossover these days. Lots of excellent choices.

Back