Upgrade a Speed3 to Heated Mirrors

Rotus8

:
07 MS3
Unfortunately I have to park my MS3 outside. The result is most mornings my mirrors have a coating of dew on them and I need to see when I get onto the highway. On rare occaisions there is ice too, but this is California. My previous car had heated mirrors and they would clear by the time I get down my road to the hiway. So, I wanted to upgrade. The MS3 has the wiring in the doors already, so all you need is the mirrors assembles themselves. They are wired so they go on and off with the rear defroster. I purchased a kit for about $200 from OnlineMazda.
4lz86dj.jpg

Here's how to install them.

First you need to remove the inner sail panel that has the tweeters in them. They come off pretty easily, just pry with a plastic tool or a screwdriver covered in tape. It is actually better to start nearer the top than is shown in this picture.
4pdlzq0.jpg

Disconnect the two connectors.
6bucf8g.jpg

Remove the three screws; hold on to the mirror as it will fall off. Remove the mirror assembly.
4qolaie.jpg

Put the new mirror in place and replace the screws. It is a good idea to install the screws a bit loose until all three are in, then snug them down. Reconnect the mirror connector and tweeter connector and snap the tweeter panel in place. Clean up the mirrors and you are done.

Now, it turns out the kit I got had black mirror shells and my car is Cosmic Blue. I considered leaving the mirrors black.
6foy52v.jpg

But I decided to change them out. First you need to remove the mirror glass. Adjust the mirror so the outside edge is as far out as possible.
4y6x120.jpg

Put your fingers in the crack, grab the end of the mirror and pull. It will disengage three ball joint connectors.
6exs9ch.jpg

At the top of the inside of the mirror housing there are two clips holding the shell on. Carefully use a flat blade screwdriver to release the tabs, then pull the shell off. This is the part where it is possible to screw up, like breaking off a tab - take your time and you will be fine. You might have to use a tool to carefully separate the shell at the top - be careful not to scratch the paint. It will come off from the top first, roll it back and the bottom hooks will disengage.
6folf8i.jpg

5zmolxy.jpg

Reinstall the shell by engaging the tabs at the bottom and the pushing the top into place. Put the mirror glass back in place by aligning the balls in the housing to the sockets on the back of the glass and pushing. Do the middle first, then the outside, then the bottom.

Last edited:
Replacing the mirrors on the Speed3 is identical to the mirrors on the RX-8. I added puddle lamps to my RX-8 and went through the extact steps to remove the mirror and trim cover. Pretty cool!

As usual, nice write-up Rotus!! Glad you decided to go mono-chrome and keep the original covers too. I think that looks better... imho. :lol:
Two questions though:
1. As Antoine asks on the other thread, how are the mirror heaters controlled/turned on-off?
2. The clips to release the mirror covers: You state that you can screw up @ this point and they can be broken off. Based on that I am led to assume the these are part of the mirror housing and not the mirror cover. Is this correct?

bbrich57 said:

As usual, nice write-up Rotus!! Glad you decided to go mono-chrome and keep the original covers too. I think that looks better... imho. :lol:
Two questions though:
1. As Antoine asks on the other thread, how are the mirror heaters controlled/turned on-off?
2. The clips to release the mirror covers: You state that you can screw up @ this point and they can be broken off. Based on that I am led to assume the these are part of the mirror housing and not the mirror cover. Is this correct?
1. The heated mirrors are controlled by the rear window defroster switch. Mirrors and rear heat together. I edited the intro of the HowTo with this info.
2. The clips are part of the cover and look pretty fragile. You need to pry gently from the top of the clip and then push it out the hole.

Last edited:
Great write-up Rotus8. I definetly appreciate it. I love the heated mirrors on my MS6 and I'm certain that my wife would love them in the winter on her MS3. I think that I will do this for her during the summer when I have some more time.

R

Geez, the wiring already installed for headed mirrors? Why not put heated mirrors from the factory for a few extra bucks. I live in the middle of the snow belt east of Cleveland and am a truck driver and have learned to love
heated mirrors on the trucks.

I am VERY psyched about this. I'll be putting these in and seat heaters in the fall. Nice write up!

See Rotus? I told you a lot of ppl would appreciate this write-up. Nothing but positive responses.

Rotus8 said:
I purchased a kit for about $200 from OnlineMazda.
It always feels like I'm pulling teeth when using that site, and I never seem to find exactly what I'm looking for...
Got some part #s for them?

This mod tops the list of things to get done before next winter (along with the dedicated winter wheels.)

EDIT: I just noticed that the mirror assemblies are completely different for the Speed. Mirrors on the standard 3 are hinged to fold in...

Last edited:
major error said:
It always feels like I'm pulling teeth when using that site, and I never seem to find exactly what I'm looking for...
Got some part #s for them?

This mod tops the list of things to get done before next winter (along with the dedicated winter wheels.)

EDIT: I just noticed that the mirror assemblies are completely different for the Speed. Mirrors on the standard 3 are hinged to fold in...
Start here, it's the third item down:
http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...catalogid=4010&siteid=214264&categoryID=78787
I am 99% sure the regular 3 and the speed 3 are the same, but send an inquiry to Jason and he will confirm.

Rotus8: Can you conform that the heating element is in the glass itself? If so, where does it plug in?

major error: The speed mirrors fold in also.

Rotus I didn't see any wiring on the glass for the heater elements what gives? Were the mirrors painted balck or plain old black?

Rotus8: Can you conform that the heating element is in the glass itself? If so, where does it plug in?

major error: The speed mirrors fold in also.

The heating element on the replacement mirrors on on the back of the glass. The wiring is already in the doors, you just plug it in.

Craighjr said:
Rotus I didn't see any wiring on the glass for the heater elements what gives? Were the mirrors painted balck or plain old black?

Wiring is already connected up inside. The mirror shells were painted a nice black with sparkly stuff in it. I considered using them, but decided to switch for my CB ones.

Heated mirror swap

Xcellent 'how-to' Rotus8 !
Already have heated mirrors - now know how it all fits together.
One less trip to the dealer if they crap out ! (thumb)

pulled the trigger on my own part order today...

Got some motivation to get them in quickly since we just had our first frost this morning >.<

The heating element on the replacement mirrors on on the back of the glass. The wiring is already in the doors, you just plug it in.

Wiring is already connected up inside. The mirror shells were painted a nice black with sparkly stuff in it. I considered using them, but decided to switch for my CB ones.

If I understand correctly, if I just buy the glass, I need to run my own wires to the door. I dont suppose you got pics of the wiring harness and the back of the glass so I know what part of the harness wires up to what part of the glass.

If I understand correctly, if I just buy the glass, I need to run my own wires to the door. I dont suppose you got pics of the wiring harness and the back of the glass so I know what part of the harness wires up to what part of the glass.
I tried that. I bought just the glass, but the problem is the connectors. The connector is a weirdo and I was unable to find the pins, plus it's a bi**h to get the wires threaded through the folding joint. It is theoretically possible, but not worth it I think. If you want to think harder about it, pull off one of your mirrors and check out the insides - there are already wires for the little motors and you can evaluate how hard it will be to add wires.

I tried that. I bought just the glass, but the problem is the connectors. The connector is a weirdo and I was unable to find the pins, plus it's a bi**h to get the wires threaded through the folding joint. It is theoretically possible, but not worth it I think. If you want to think harder about it, pull off one of your mirrors and check out the insides - there are already wires for the little motors and you can evaluate how hard it will be to add wires.

Well, I got a body shop mechanic that is pretty good with that kind of stuff. I just thought too, the wiring harness could be tested with a simple current tester to see where to hook up to the harness.

Do you still have the glass and want to sell it?

Well, I got a body shop mechanic that is pretty good with that kind of stuff. I just thought too, the wiring harness could be tested with a simple current tester to see where to hook up to the harness.

Do you still have the glass and want to sell it?
Nope. I sent the glass back when I purchased the full kit. The problem is not finding out where to hook it up, but the actual stringing the wires through the hinge in the mirror, and then finding the pins to put in the connector. If you are paying mechanic's rates, you will probably be better off buying the full mirrors 'cause it will either take significant time, or end up cobbled together. My $.02.

they just come raw plastic or it could be primed most mirrors come like that then a body shop paints them to match car

Back