Day time running lights?

l-miwa

:
Mazda CX-9
The Canadian version is required to have day time running lights. I'm guessing this is just a configuration option, not an actual hardward difference. Anyone know how to enable them on the American version?

After some investigation, it looks like it's more likely that there would actually be extra hardware on the Canadian version. So is there a Canadian Mazda dealer out there that could tell me if there's a plug in module (high beam control module or something?) that I could swap out to get DRL's on my American CX-9?

l-miwa said:
After some investigation, it looks like it's more likely that there would actually be extra hardware on the Canadian version. So is there a Canadian Mazda dealer out there that could tell me if there's a plug in module (high beam control module or something?) that I could swap out to get DRL's on my American CX-9?

Just in case you can't get the DLS functionality by programming or finding the original part... Canadian Tire (canada) has a solution for you for CAD 24.99 only!

This is a solid state DRL module from Hamsar Diversco Inc, Burlington, Ontario (canada) . Contact them to figure out which of their models would do the best job on your CX-9.

http://www.hamsar.com/drlkits.htm#1

I looked at the Hamsar conversion. It isn't too bad, but I was hoping for a plug-and-play solution.

Is there a Canadian dealer that can post a pdf of just the relevant section of the wiring diagram? I'd like to compare it with the US wiring diagram to see if there's a chance of just swapping out a module or two.

Hi,
did you ever find a solution for this? I'm getting quotes between 200-300 ner me. my American dealer says he can't do the work!
Thanks
Dave Calgary

There are rather substantial differences. The best I can tell, the basic wiring is probably there, but there are at least two components that are different. Not sure if I could find them and not sure I could buy them in the US. However, attached is a pdf of the relavant circuits from the service manual.

Attachments

• CX-9 headlights.pdf
    615.9 KB · Views: 450
Actually, in my post in the "How to" area http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123676014 I specifically referred to the 2007 model, and the pdf file is also copied from the 07 service manual.

Maybe they have minimized the difference between DRL and non- DRLto for 08, but I doubt it.

If its so simple, why don't you give it a try and plug in a 15A fuse, and report back your finding?

Update for Dealership

I just spoke to 2 dealerships in the area, they are telling me to come in to see if the module is already in the car. They claim that some of the cx-9 are already equiped to handle the DRL and it is only a programming issue.

This directly contradicts the wiring diagram that was posted.

Anyone know how to identify the differences between the american and canadian modules?

Thanks

I just spoke to 2 dealerships in the area, they are telling me to come in to see if the module is already in the car. They claim that some of the cx-9 are already equiped to handle the DRL and it is only a programming issue.

This directly contradicts the wiring diagram that was posted.

Anyone know how to identify the differences between the american and canadian modules?

Thanks

Was your car purchased in Canada? Based on your name, I need to ask.

Just got my DRL installed at the dealer.

I'm pissed off, they put them on the fog lights 100% power, all the time. They claim that Mazda Canada told them that is the only solution.

I'm fighting with them mow to switch it to the high beams... I'm worried my fogs will burn out REALLY fast and frequent. And now, even in park witht he engine running, my fogs are on.

Mad
Dave

I'm pissed off, they put them on the fog lights 100% power, all the time. They claim that Mazda Canada told them that is the only solution.

I'm fighting with them mow to switch it to the high beams... I'm worried my fogs will burn out REALLY fast and frequent. And now, even in park witht he engine running, my fogs are on.

Mad
Dave

Just from a safety standpoint, that's unacceptable. The fog lights are intentionally aimed low and draw little attention from oncoming drivers. The whole point of DRL's is maximum visibility, thus the high beams that are aimed directly at the eyes of oncoming drivers, but a reduced power.

I'd certainly put up a fuss about that one! Please keep us posted on the resolution. If they come up with a workable solution, I'd be interested in duplicating it on ours.

Just from a safety standpoint, that's unacceptable. The fog lights are intentionally aimed low and draw little attention from oncoming drivers. The whole point of DRL's is maximum visibility, thus the high beams that are aimed directly at the eyes of oncoming drivers, but a reduced power.

I'd certainly put up a fuss about that one! Please keep us posted on the resolution. If they come up with a workable solution, I'd be interested in duplicating it on ours.

Will do,

I tried to call mazda Canada to ask them myself. They say that there tech department is only available to their dealers and not the general public. Go figure...

Anyone know of a dealer that has installed them properly?

Cheers,

I don't know if they are drl's, but I have seen a lot of the new Acura MDX's running around during the day with only the fog lights on.

Last edited:

Mad
Dave

I believe that the new MDXs have their fogs as DRLs too. Vettes have their turn signals low in the bumper. I am sure that you prefer DRLS in you high beams, but the fogs would not be bad either.

Partial Resolution

Hi All,

So I had a long discussion with the master tech. Here's the results

They explained to me that their dealership does not like installing aftermarket DRL modules on their cars. They used to, but had a high failure (burnout) rate on them. So they switched to OEM relays. The HID DRLS cannot be done without the module thus having them on my fogs. My install was done by a apprentice who wasn't familiar with the procedure, so the install was not done correctly.

So they will switch it to the following. (I am not electrically inclined, so I don't really have the terminology right!)

A relay installed on the grounded parking brake circuit.
Fog lights are wired to this relay. When the there are no lighting systems on, the fog lights are powered, once the parking brakes (or any other lights including Auto function) come on, fogs turn off.
Bonus, once the parking brakes are on (turning off DRL fogs) the Fog lights are functional using the stock switch. Therefore, I will be able to run my fogs and parking brakes with no headlights as well.

I'm going to have the tech explain this to me a little better whenI go in, I'll post what he says ;)

Cheers,

Last edited:
Hi All,

So I had a long discussion with the master tech. Here's the results

They explained to me that their dealership does not like installing aftermarket DRL modules on their cars. They used to, but had a high failure (burnout) rate on them. So they switched to OEM relays. The HID DRLS cannot be done without the module thus having them on my fogs. My install was done by a apprentice who wasn't familiar with the procedure, so the install was not done correctly.

So they will switch it to the following. (I am not electrically inclined, so I don't really have the terminology right!)

A relay installed on the grounded parking brake circuit.
Fog lights are wired to this relay. When the there are no lighting systems on, the fog lights are powered, once the parking brakes (or any other lights including Auto function) come on, fogs turn off.
Bonus, once the parking brakes are on (turning off DRL fogs) the Fog lights are functional using the stock switch. Therefore, I will be able to run my fogs and parking brakes with no headlights as well.

I'm going to have the tech explain this to me a little better whenI go in, I'll post what he says ;)

Cheers,

Thanks for the information, one point is unclear where does one buy the OEM relays for the job. Could you perhaps get the precise part number. Great job in explaining.

EB

Back