Consensus on best way to connect my Ipod

gjconker

Hi,

Just got our Mazda 5. Love it. Zippy with the standard shift!

Questions:

Is it correct that Mazda's Ipod integration module doesn't display music/now playing/plays list info on the Mazda's LCD display? That's silly. Do you at least see the songs lists on the Ipod? In the accessories brochure the Ipod photo shows the Mazda Logo on the Ipod's display. So I'm under the impression that there's no way to see what's playing, sound right?

Is there anything out there that allows me to connect my Ipod (30Gig, 5th generation) directly (not FM) to my 2007 Mazda 5's factory radio and display songs on the Ipod or the Mazda's LCD display or both, and charge the Ipod without the cig lighter adaptor. Access to the steering wheel controls would be nice but not required.

Is the AudioLink the way to go?

Thanks for your help.

Greg

starlightmica said:
This setup on eBay supposedly will show iPod text on the Mazda screen, but the seller doesn't have any pictures of this in action. Interfaces the same way the Auxmod does, via the cassette/MD port. Steering wheel controls are supposed to work. $190 with shipping.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

That's sketchy. Go to their linked website to read what Level 4 is all about and on there it states Level 4 only works in Toyota/Lexus/GM models?!

Check out the 'anyone checked out the ipod connector' thread. Inside is a company beta testing their ipod connection with mazda5 and is offering a refund if you post your findings/feedback.

gjconker said:
Hi,

Just got our Mazda 5. Love it. Zippy with the standard shift!

Questions:

Is it correct that Mazda's Ipod integration module doesn't display music/now playing/plays list info on the Mazda's LCD display? That's silly. Do you at least see the songs lists on the Ipod? In the accessories brochure the Ipod photo shows the Mazda Logo on the Ipod's display. So I'm under the impression that there's no way to see what's playing, sound right?

Is there anything out there that allows me to connect my Ipod (30Gig, 5th generation) directly (not FM) to my 2007 Mazda 5's factory radio and display songs on the Ipod or the Mazda's LCD display or both, and charge the Ipod without the cig lighter adaptor. Access to the steering wheel controls would be nice but not required.

Is the AudioLink the way to go?

Thanks for your help.

Greg

I got my AudioLink from the following place:

http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=103&products_id=142

The first cable they sent me came DOA, but I called them and sent a replacement right away.

1) It does NOT display song names on Radio Dashboard
2) You can control from steering wheel, such as volume and changing songs within the same album
3) You have to select the Album (that is how I listen to my iPod) directly from the iPod screen
4) Sometimes the ipod sound is only on the right side of the vehicle and it corrects itself after a few minutes or a few replugs. Cant totally figure it out, yet it happens rarely.

I installed my ipod using the cupholders. I even have a cupholder for ipods that I got from griffintechnology.com.
The cupholders come out quite easily by pulling them upwards. Then you can squeeze the cable underneath the car mat.

dont have pics, but there are ones out there in forums like this one.

I have the factory interface, and I don't recommend it, and furthermore Mazda doesn't give a flying F that its a POS! If I were to do it again, I'd get the cassette deck option and use a tape player adapter.... works great in my Tundra this way.

raspykart said:
I have the factory interface, and I don't recommend it, and furthermore Mazda doesn't give a flying F that its a POS! If I were to do it again, I'd get the cassette deck option and use a tape player adapter.... works great in my Tundra this way.

Works like that in my 5 also. Funny thing is the sales guy when I bought it was; "euh? why you'd want to spend 200$ on that option?". But heh, it works well with a cheap cassette adapter. Now i'm looking for the Bekkin Tunedeck, but I'm not sure it will work...

starlightmica said:
This setup on eBay supposedly will show iPod text on the Mazda screen, but the seller doesn't have any pictures of this in action. Interfaces the same way the Auxmod does, via the cassette/MD port. Steering wheel controls are supposed to work. $190 with shipping.

I just installed the unit above in my Mazda 5. It works fine but does not display text. I've been working with Integration Solutions and they are working with the manufacturer to get it working. It appears I'm the first Mazda 5 install. When I get it working I'll let you all know. These guys have been great to work with so far and if this works from what I've seen so far it is the best option.

bbartholow said:
I just installed the unit above in my Mazda 5. It works fine but does not display text. I've been working with Integration Solutions and they are working with the manufacturer to get it working. It appears I'm the first Mazda 5 install.
Thanks for chiming in - let us know how it goes, and pictures, too!

I wanna hear my Ipod in my Mazda 5!

Thanks for the responses! Funny, I just Googled "Mazda + Ipod" and my question to this message board came up number 5. I'm guessing there's a lot of people who want to do this. I mean, how much would it have cost Mazda to include a port as a value added feature. I fuming at Mazda for not including a simple $1.00 analog jack or building into the price a USB or other, more sophisticated connection. Nooooooooooo, they would rather gouge me for their exclusive Ipod Integration Module (model #C236-79-CFZ), which, according to what I've read thus far, displays useless information on the Mazda's LCD panel and DISABLE"S the CONTROLS ON IPOD! That's just plain dumb.

So, I'm thinking about the Audio Link setup. I'm still trying to read through what's online about the Audio Link, but I reckon some direct questions might get me the answers I need, so here goes.

XXXZombieXXX has tried it out and mentions a speaker cutting out. Anyone else have experience with the Audio Link, good or bad?

I'm handy but not a car person. Where can I get instructions on getting to the back of my radio and installing? Do I ruin the radio warranty? The car warranty?

Am I correct that the AudioLink allows full control of the Ipod from the IPod as well as limited control from the Steering wheel? Can I only play plays lists, even from the Ipod?

Finally, will this Audiolink thingy plug into the Factory Radio my car came with? It's the 4 speaker, no cassette but is Sirius and 6 disc changer compatible. Does it go into one of those ports?

That's it for now. Thanks again for the help.

Greg

Success! Just installed the AudioLink

Easy to install in in my vanlet.

Followed very useful instructions posted here: http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?p=112985#11298

Sounds great. Yes I'll use the steering wheel controls to bump up and down tracks and change the volume. Being able to use the Ipod controls from the Ipod is I think, a major advantage (unlike the Mazda version which disables the Ipod but shows nothing useful on the Mazda's display). I believe we'll be waiting a long time however before an automaker develops an interface (GUI) as elegant as the one on the ipod.

Next, a nifty bracket.

Best,

Greg

Just an FYI, I've heard that Apple designed the iPod so that information is displayed on the iPod itself or an external source. There's no way to do both. If you want track info and control via your head unit, you'll lose it on the iPod. That's one reason I don't like those options. I'm using the Auxmod for now.

Well Pioneer was able to figure out to make an interface for their headunits to display most of the text and retain all the normal functionalities the IPOD has. My biggest gripe is how the Random Feature works... hit any button except volume and the thing goes outta random mode... Mazda so half-assed this accessory its not even funny and I'm gonna b**** about it to them everytime I think of it and every survey I fill out.... ya'll should do the same.

Back