June '07 Motor Trend: MDX vs. CX-9 vs. Acadia

P5w3kids

:
2003 P5
3rd: Acadia -- roomiest and smoothest ride, but ungainly handling and numb steering compared to the others

2nd: MDX -- most fun to drive, but third row tight and hard to access; controls also too complicated

1st: CX-9 -- nearly as fun as the Acura, but with a roomier, much easier to access third row and much lower price

P5w3kids said:
3rd: Acadia -- roomiest and smoothest ride, but ungainly handling and numb steering compared to the others

2nd: MDX -- most fun to drive, but third row tight and hard to access; controls also too complicated

1st: CX-9 -- nearly as fun as the Acura, but with a roomier, much easier to access third row and much lower price

And when the CX-9 gets the 300HP 3.7L for 2008 it will also be more fun to drive. :)

I'm not so sure of that. It would also need to shrink a bit and have an AWD system with the Acura's, which provides a bit of rear-drive feel.

P5w3kids said:
I'm not so sure of that. It would also need to shrink a bit and have an AWD system with the Acura's, which provides a bit of rear-drive feel.

If you want to drive shrinked Mazda cuv try CX7 ?!? (yippy)

I would think that an intake will be available soon for the CX-9 which could add 10-12 hp and maybe an option for a chip. With the added two the current model could approach 300hp.

Drove a Buick Enclave yesterday. Extremely quiet with a smooth ride, but like the Acadia feels much larger than the CX-9.

I like the Acadia/Outlook/Enclave. But when you see them in person, they're freakin' huge.

Infymus said:
And the 300 HP means 12 MPG right?

Not another CX7 low MPG car please...

um, when ur in the market for this kind of suv, i dont think the main concern of the buyer is MPG. its accepted and usually a not that big of an issue. there are bigger needs other than an engine that sips gas when u purchase vehicles such as these; Torque, towing (boat etc), hauling a bigger family, etc. and when the manufacturer kicks up the power which makes the vehicle also fun to drive rather tha driving a minivan, ya just cant complain;)

300 HP means 300 HP.

the fact that mazda achieved a very close and comparable challenging the Acura without the price tag and gadgetry of the SHAWD is an achievement. cheers to Mazda, the 9 is an awesome vehicle. I read my motor trend last night and the last thing i expected was to flip the page to this and see Mazda with the #1 badge.

bradicus18 said:
I like the Acadia/Outlook/Enclave. But when you see them in person, they're freakin' huge.

Last time I drove an Outlook it was right after driving a CX-9. I actually drove the Outlook to the Mazda dealer and parked it next to a CX-9. As you say, it looks much larger, especially in height.

The size difference looks even larger than it is, because curves shrink perceived size and the Mazda is much curvier.

The Enclave looks smaller than the Acadia/Outlook as a result.

Back