HELP - Bent Stock 18" 5 Y Spokes - Recommend Replacements

goodguy

Being in the wonderful "Winter Wonderland" state of Michigan - we have a local attraction called the pothole. After putting only 6000 miles on my 06' Grand Sport MZ6 Wagon - I managed to visit two slight potholes on two different occasions. Unfortunately this resulted in two bent rims on the passenger side and a bulbous sidewall on the driver side. I just love the roads here! In frustration I am considerig changing out the stock alloys and would like some advice. Currently I have the 18" x 7 - 5 Spoke Y Alloys from Mazda fitted with the 215/45R18 Pirelli P Zero Nero's.

While I am going through the hassle of replacing the stock rims, should I get someting more durable. Don't know where to start.

I guess the idea was to get something that (while still looking good) could standup to the Michigan roads a bit better. Maybe a 17" rim with a taller sidewall? Or a more durable 18" rim? Perhaps stick with the same stock rims but get a tire that can take a bit more beating and not ride so harshly as the low profile PZeros - higher sidewalls and folded fenders? I know this goes against the grain of the majority of this thread (which is to get more grippy, lower profile "speed" tires) but I do not want to have to replace rims and tires every six months - any suggestions. Also, anyone have any MS6 or RX8 or other rims the are looking to sell, let me know.

P.S. - I am into a stock (but not necessarily stock rim) look - if you know what I mean - nothing blacked out or too funky or too aftermarket racy looking.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I think your best best is to go with 16"s or 17"s. Stock rims are about as durable as they come. Aftermarket rims are usually lighter and more fragile.

However, if you are due for new tires you could consider getting a wider tire like a 225/45R18. Your speedo will be off by about 1.4% (less than 1mph @ 60 mph) but it will give you a little more rubber to protect your rims when you hit those potholes. Going to a taller sidewall such as a 215/50R18 will offset your speedo by 3.3% (2mph @ 60 mph).

Do you think there would be any clearance issues with the 225/45R18's or with the 215/50R18's (everything, including rims and suspension are still stock)?

Thanks again for the help.

Not at all. If you are running the stock wheels/suspension you can fit whatever you want on there.

Back