Sport Shift?

KRT-1

Has anyone else experienced a hesitation between 1st and 2nd gear in the Sport shift mode? If I wind 1st to about 6500 RPM and switch to 2nd, it bogs down a bit for a second or so before it takes off. It is almost like it is not matching the RPMs. It does not do this if I have it in automatic mode. Has this happened to anyone else?

This is happening on a GT AWD with the towing package.

in my mazda 6, theres absolutely no torque past 6000 rpms in first, so pretty much as soon as it hits that the needle jst drops to redline, which hits fuel cut, but since my foots on the gas the needle bounces up and down.

you have to remember your still driving an automatic car, theres no clutch, and your not taking your foot off the gas to shift, so its as if your shifting in a manual car, but your not taking your foot off the gas to shift

shift earlier, before your off the torque power band.

if im wrong, im wrong, hopefully someone can correct me, but i know this is how it is in my car.

Well, I had an Acura Type S with the Sport Shift, and it did not do this. It also had the fuel cutoff if you got past redline.

I am talking about shifting 500 RPM before redline on the CX-9, and it has a noticeable power dropoff before going into 2nd gear. It seem strange that it only does it on Sport Shift. It sounds like a programming problem that could be corrected with a reflash.

hmmm, my car does the same thing, im assuming its the combination of the power dropoff, and the your foot on the pedal.
this is the first car ive driven with sportshift, so you sound more experienced in this

KRT-1 said:
Has anyone else experienced a hesitation between 1st and 2nd gear in the Sport shift mode? If I wind 1st to about 6500 RPM and switch to 2nd, it bogs down a bit for a second or so before it takes off. It is almost like it is not matching the RPMs. It does not do this if I have it in automatic mode. Has this happened to anyone else?

This is happening on a GT AWD with the towing package.

Mine doesnt I LOVE manual mode. In fact, a couple of times I forgot I was in it and redloned the engine, which then cut itself off until I shifted. It revved just fine all the way up.

Mine also has a long hesitation on the 1-2, and 2-3 shifts. You have to flick the lever about 5800 to make a clean shift...

This is not really a sports shifter. It is more of a way to hold a lower grear to do engine braking...

One odd note is that I have noticed that it will downshift quicker than upshift...

sranger said:
Mine also has a long hesitation on the 1-2, and 2-3 shifts. You have to flick the lever about 5800 to make a clean shift...

This is not really a sports shifter. It is more of a way to hold a lower grear to do engine braking...

One odd note is that I have noticed that it will downshift quicker than upshift...
Its also A way of controlling the gears, Shifting when you want... or gear holding for better response, where the "sport" part comes in, So you can go from a rolling start, and not have to wait for the gears to drop down. Or if you want a more controlled launch, you can start in second gear. Also I think redlining causes hesitation because of the fuel cut off.

exactly. I forgot a couple of times and reved all the way up and the engine cut off. Also being a heavier vehicle, the manual mode is GREAT for traffic, hills, and windy roads. I LOVE this car on mountain roads.

I was having lots of fun with this monster yesterday driving through the twistes in VA. I was constantly at 80mph or more and switching between 4-5-6 gears. Trust me, you really need to downshift when the CX9 is doing that kind of speed.

On a side note, I feel that the CX9 has the most power after 70mph. With a little heavy right foot, the speedo already reads 90!!

Ford really blew it by not including the Manual Mode on their versions of the '9, like the Edge.

What a benefit. And this car handles amazing. Tracks perfect, and corners like its on rails. Not for a large SUV, for ANY car.

I would have to agree with the CX-9 feeling like its on rails, I love the way this thing corners, it feels better than the CX-7, but the CX-9 has more body roll. I just love the way it feels.

Back