Power outlet in center console - always on?

Infymus

:
CX9, Mazda 3
I've noticed on my CX9 the power outlet in the center console (not next to the shift nob, but in the storage container) is always on. I was hoping to use it for my radar detector, but I don't want it draining the battery.

Also, my CX7 lights on "auto", when the car turns off, the lights turn off. With the CX9 on "auto", when it's dark, the lights turn on. But turn off the car, the lights stay on.

Might have to take it back to the dealership for that one.

Anyone else notice their center console power plug is always on? Fluke on my car?

Infymus said:
I've noticed on my CX9 the power outlet in the center console (not next to the shift nob, but in the storage container) is always on. I was hoping to use it for my radar detector, but I don't want it draining the battery.

Also, my CX7 lights on "auto", when the car turns off, the lights turn off. With the CX9 on "auto", when it's dark, the lights turn on. But turn off the car, the lights stay on.

Might have to take it back to the dealership for that one.

Anyone else notice their center console power plug is always on? Fluke on my car?

Lights issue was discussed earlier... (homework)

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123666391

So it's a 30 second delay. Ok, I'll tell the wife to leave it in auto mode and not worry about it.

That blows because my kids have DVD players that attach to the head rests of the front seats. Have to unplug the unit every time you turn the car off, unless you want to plug it into the front - which then makes extra wires going everywhere. Forget trying to use a radar detector - it will drain the battery dead.

I'll look around to find out if it can be disconnected so it turns off when the car is off.

Personally, I find this to be a bad feature.

Infymus said:
That blows because my kids have DVD players that attach to the head rests of the front seats. Have to unplug the unit every time you turn the car off, unless you want to plug it into the front - which then makes extra wires going everywhere. Forget trying to use a radar detector - it will drain the battery dead.

I'll look around to find out if it can be disconnected so it turns off when the car is off.

Personally, I find this to be a bad feature.

How about a trip to Radio shack to see if they have an in-line switch that looks decent, and can be easily stowed?

12v

what about the 12 v outlet next to the shifter? Does it turn off when the car is off? I would like to plug a Garmin Nuvi 650 GPS in there... do not want it draining the battery.

lateralg2 said:
How about a trip to Radio shack to see if they have an in-line switch that looks decent, and can be easily stowed?

I've also seen 12V power strips! Target tends to have them, usually made by Bell. One of those would give you 3 (I think) power outlets, so you could plug in the detector and the monitors, and may have a switch on it, just like household power strips. You'd still have to remember to turn it off, which is really not much different than remembering to unplug, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

center console (under armrest) is always on, the one on the dash turns off with the vehicle.

I agree with Infymus. What would be the reason to have an outlet always on? I would think that most people would use this to charge their AUX device when in use . My question is, is there a way to change the wiring to this outlet so that it's only on when the car is on?

I'd not think that a radar or ipod or anything plugged in is going to totally drain the battery unless you're not driving the car for days at a time... even then I don't think so... most cars have aux outlets that are both always on and off with the car... the plug in the way back ( I think ) turns off with the car ... that may be an option for the kid's dvd stuff...

center console (under armrest) is always on, the one on the dash turns off with the vehicle.

The Australian model CX9 turns the power off under the armrest the same as the one on the dash when the ignition is turned off.

This is stupidest thing ever seen in a vehicle. I don't know why someone would want this outlet to be ON ALL TIME.....what the F are those people smoking. I don't know why would ANY POWER OUTLET NEEDS TO BE ON after the car is shut off.....idiots....I would avoid charging any stupid gadgets than to risk having to jump start.

Any DIY to reroute the wiring?

The console outlet on all vehicles I've ever owned was powered 24/7. Usually intended for cell phone charging. Allows for phone charging when you're out of the vehicle for short periods. And it would take year of charging to drain the battery charging a cell phone. I actually think it's a great idea - my opinion! GMC Yukon dash outlets were powered24/7...dumb. Who needs the radar detector powered while parked?

You have a choice, and choices are good, aren't they?
If you want a switch 12V, go for the cig lighter. If you want a constant 12V, go for
the one inside the console. I think it is the way it should be.

This is stupidest thing ever seen in a vehicle. I don't know why someone would want this outlet to be ON ALL TIME.....what the F are those people smoking. I don't know why would ANY POWER OUTLET NEEDS TO BE ON after the car is shut off.....idiots....I would avoid charging any stupid gadgets than to risk having to jump start.

Any DIY to reroute the wiring?

Many vehicles do this. I have owned numerous vehicles that have powered and unpowered outlets. Some folks use portable refrigerators, want to charge cell phones, etc.

Cut back on the caffeine...

+1

We use this feature a lot since my sons constantly forget to charge their IPod touches and nintendo ds. So it's been a welcome feature. I wouldn't worry too much because Mazda probably uses circuit that senses too much drain. Many of these devices use trickle voltage to charge which consume very little in the way of current. So I think your fine. Our Mazdas also turn off the interior light after about 30 minutes in the event that someone leaves a door ajar or plays with the overhead light switch (which my kids always seem to do). This feature saved my wife many times with our Mz5.

Back