ATF Question

07MZ5SA

:
2007 Mazda 5
While reading the owners manual I noticed:

1. There's no ATF change interval. Could factory filled ATF be synthetic?

2. ATF M-III is Dexron II equivalent. What is ATF M-V equivalent?

07MZ5SA said:
While reading the owners manual I noticed:

1. There's no ATF change interval. Could factory filled ATF be synthetic?

2. ATF M-III is Dexron II equivalent. What is ATF M-V equivalent?

Mercon V is quite specific and is not interchangeable with Mercon III and Dextron II. I just needed some with my Mustang and looked all over the place for Mercon V. I checked the local Walmart and Canadian Tire in my area (I am in Canada) and neither carried it.

I ended up doing a google search and read up on it. Lucky for me because when you read the labels on the ATF bottles, they are quite general and say they work for Ford, Mazda, etc., but it is also year specific. Google search provided good info.

Bottom line, they are not interchangeable. I ended up buying Mercon V from Lordco Auto Parts. It was about $4.00 Cdn per litre.

Are you saying M-V is Mercon V?

I deal with Mercon V on the daily basis. They are for 4R70W transmissions.

Heard of Dexron III but not Mercon III?

Maybe Mazda likes to leave it up to the dealer to recommend service?
We do ours here every 30k. But really you can go by color alone.
Mercon V is supposed to be 100k fluid (per Ford) but you can tell it starts to turn a little dark around the 30k mark. Not having a true replaceable filter means that a 'spill and fill' is easy and quite cheap on our cars, fortunately.

TNX Benfolio:

It looks like M-V is Mercon V.

I haven't come across any Mercon V ATF that last more than 30k.

07MZ5SA said:
TNX Benfolio:

If Benfolio and you are correct, Mazda's maintenance schedule is flawed and should be corrected.

TNX Benfolio:

M-V and Mercon V are NOT the same fluid. Don't confuse the two.

LOL @ me for bumping a thread from 2007.

mercon V is not Mazda M-V

the above is wrong - see http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123755867

reproduced from the link is the docmentation:

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/tribute/05-005-08-1928.pdf

by, the way, I just did a drain and fill with Mobil 1 ATF, will do another at next oil change - replaces about 1/2 the ATF fluid each time. Easier than changing the oil, just have 3 quarts on hand.

Regards

according to Mazda the ATF doesn't need to be replaced until there is a problem with the AT.

according to Mazda the ATF doesn't need to be replaced until there is a problem with the AT.

Been there, done that :-( Had our transmission replaced at ~20k miles (under warranty). I'd suggest replacing the fluid regularly to lower the probability of problems - doesn't hurt and is relatively cheap.

Volvo did not recommend ATF changes in the '01-'02s either, and when the tranny began failing just around 30,000 boy there were alot of unhappy posters on various forums! What other vehicles share the 4AT from 06-07 or the current 5AT? Mazda3...but does in include Tributes/Escapes? The Focus? Mazda6? What do those manuals recommend?

I'd like to know if anyone is still on their original ATF fluid past 30k. I've got 43k on my 08and haven't done it yet. I'm thinking about doing it soon, as I think "lifetime" fluid is a bit of bad joke.

I'm at 42k and just bought a wix filter kit to change it. Was going to use Mazda fluid (it is not the same as mercon V, see the TSB) but found that the local mazda dealer (which is lame) uses Mercon, they don't even stock OEM fluid. So now I'm looking to use a full synthetic, probably mobil 1 since it is easy to get and fairly cheap.

Went in for my 56,000 Kms minor service and did the automatic transmission flush. I didn't ask if it was dirty or not. I just figured 56,000 Kms was a decent time to do it since it has not been done for 3 years since I bought the car new.

$160 Cdn. before tax.
Breakdown :
$69 for labour
$52 for ATF-M5 fluid (FP #0000-23-ATF-M5) - Quantity 8 (Ltr/Qts ??)
$39 for FP # JB-500P - Pump ???

I'd like to know if anyone is still on their original ATF fluid past 30k. I've got 43k on my 08and haven't done it yet. I'm thinking about doing it soon, as I think "lifetime" fluid is a bit of bad joke.

I've gone 63k and since it wasn't on the maintenance schedule - completely forgot about it until the garage mentioned it! Now I'll have it done immediately.

Thanks,
Mark

Back