267.3 KB · Views: 271
  • DSCN0984.JPG
    DSCN0984.JPG
    380.9 KB · Views: 263
  • DSCN0988.JPG
    DSCN0988.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 309
Yep

Yep. I've had the K&N on 3 previous vehicles... a Saab 9-5 and two 4Runners. All have had better acceleration (though muted here at altitude), better gas mileage and less emissions. There is more engine noise under acceleration, but it is quiet at cruising speed. I should post pics of what I took out! I think I cut back a few pounds, too.

Last edited:
CAI general opinion

I would echo the cold air intake review, although my experience with a CAI is with a K&N FIPK on our PT Cruiser. I would expect similar results with the 5.

Positives:
1. More max power (upper RPM, like 4000 & up)
2. Better gas mileage (honest 1.5 - 2.5 mpg improvement all around with PT Cruiser 5spd)
3. Looks great under the hood.
4. Extraordinarily cool intake sound when you're "on it".

Negatives:
1. Noticeably less power in the 2000-3500 RPM range.
2. Extraordinarily loud intake sound when your doing anything much more than loafing.

OK, so the intake sound is both a plus and a minus, but I spend alot less time entertaining myself than I do simply commuting, and every ride home from work for me starts with a long and fairly steep uphill section. The intake noise gets tiring under these circumstances. That same commuting also leaves me using the week part of the powerband almost all the time. It's alot if I see over 4000RPM once a day.

Bottom line? I'm getting to be an old fart and I took it off so I could have some peace and quiet and a little more useable torque for my boring old fart commute. I won't be putting one on our 5!

Ive never been in a car with an intake. Ive heard before about the cool intake noise. How do you explain it is it the sucking/whirring noise of a turbo?

My wifes 04 Solara doesnt have an intake, but in the summer with the windows down, accelerating between about 10-30 mph theres almost an electronic whirring noise that the car emits almost what youd expect to hear out of a hybrid in electric mode. I assume this is the intake noise on her car. I know that sounds pretty sweet!

"is it the sucking/whirring noise of a turbo?"
not at all, although at first throttle you get a little blip of sucking air noise that's kinda cool. otherwise it's just flat out harsh noise. maybe I wouldve liked it when I was 17, but not anymore(sssh)

I'll never be an old fart... That would be my Dad!

$chocker said:
I would echo the cold air intake review, although my experience with a CAI is with a K&N FIPK on our PT Cruiser. I would expect similar results with the 5...

I won't be putting one on our 5!
(cabpatch) I either have noisy kids with me, or the stereo pumping. I'd rather hear the engine over the kids. (smash) My stereo pretty much drowns out any engine noise.

I don't suffer a lack of power in any RPM range... not in any car with the mod. (confused)

Intake Noise

jandree22 said:
Ive never been in a car with an intake. Ive heard before about the cool intake noise. How do you explain it is it the sucking/whirring noise of a turbo?

My wifes 04 Solara doesnt have an intake, but in the summer with the windows down, accelerating between about 10-30 mph theres almost an electronic whirring noise that the car emits almost what youd expect to hear out of a hybrid in electric mode. I assume this is the intake noise on her car. I know that sounds pretty sweet!

Car manufacturers have determined that most drivers want a quiet car. So, they engineer the intake to silence the engine noise. I took out 3 huge plastic intake pieces and replaced them with the K&N CAI. It's just a pipe with a filter on the end. There is no place for the sucked in air to go, but through the pipe.

(thumb)

It's Music...

NYMZ5 said:
"is it the sucking/whirring noise of a turbo?"
not at all, although at first throttle you get a little blip of sucking air noise that's kinda cool. otherwise it's just flat out harsh noise. maybe I wouldve liked it when I was 17, but not anymore(sssh)

You will hear the turbo spool up in a Saab 9-5... it's just louder and quicker with a K&N CAI. I don't find the noise "harsh" at all. (sleep) It's music to me. I love to drive.

hey wait a minute! I love to drive too! LOL. And I love the sound of a turbo whine (I've had 3 saabs). I just find the CAI very boomy or something, maybe "harsh" wasn't the right word. Basically I like any engine noise that sounds like it belongs on the soundtrack of Star Wars(cool)

That's the NET for you...

NYMZ5 said:
hey wait a minute! I love to drive too! LOL. And I love the sound of a turbo whine (I've had 3 saabs). I just find the CAI very boomy or something, maybe "harsh" wasn't the right word. Basically I like any engine noise that sounds like it belongs on the soundtrack of Star Wars(cool)

It's so hard to discern meaning when there are only words. I guess it's true about "non verbals" being the greatest part of communication. (cheers2)

Those wheels are smokin' - looks great. I'm your neighbor over in Parker, so if I see you around I'll be sure to wave rather than just point and stare at other 5's like I normally do.

I'll be in the non-modded, dirty, carbon grey touring ;).

I think we've already seen you...

ladygrey said:
Those wheels are smokin' - looks great. I'm your neighbor over in Parker, so if I see you around I'll be sure to wave rather than just point and stare at other 5's like I normally do.

I'll be in the non-modded, dirty, carbon grey touring ;).

We go to Tonti's in Parker about twice a week. I think we saw you going west on Lincoln, near Sonic, a bit ago.

I see you had the ol' ABS module go out on you. I bet it's a Bosch (German) part. If water gets up under the hood (bonnet), it can really mess with that. I had to DIY it on a Saab 9-5, because that job costs $3000 (That's three zeros) on a Saab. It's one reason NEVER to spray your engine off.(cheers2)

AIMWO4 said:
We go to Tonti's in Parker about twice a week. I think we saw you going west on Lincoln, near Sonic, a bit ago.

I see you had the ol' ABS module go out on you. I bet it's a Bosch (German) part. If water gets up under the hood (bonnet), it can really mess with that. I had to DIY it on a Saab 9-5, because that job costs $3000 (That's three zeros) on a Saab. It's one reason NEVER to spray your engine off.(cheers2)

Yeah the ABS module was a pain. We went through two because the second one had a crack and was leaking brake fluid. Thank goodness for warranty.

I'm sure that was us (I have long light brown hair, my husband is a big guy with a dark goatee, and two elementary age blondish girls, lately we've had two dogs in the car with us everywhere we go too - selling our house), I am constantly on Lincoln near Sonic; we live right off of Lincoln so I can't really go anywhere without going by there. But, there is another 5 just like ours that I've seen at the Parker Lowes.

I have a vague recollection of seeing a green one over there. We saw a green one in the Kings parking lot right there a few weeks ago.

I've been in Parker 8 years and I still don't really get the appeal of Tonti's - we only eat Anthony's pizza ;).

It could be...

ladygrey said:
Yeah the ABS module was a pain....
I've seen one that looks black from a distance. There is another greensilver one, but not with my wheels... and not as noisy. (attn)

I like Tonti's because my uncle had a pizza place (seen as a hot dog/hamburger stand in an old Wonder Years episode) that made the same type of East coast style pizza, and had the same sort of atmosphere, without the dining in option. Besides, if we all liked the same type of pizza, there would be no sense in having more than one place. (boom08) It would be aweful boring. We Mazda5 owners know that!(sssh)

I also enjoy the St. Louis ravioli and cheesecake. I don't go near the place when it's busy, though. Delivery is not an option, as I am over by C-470 and Broadway.

Back