CX9 Auto head light problem

I just got my CX9 GT AWD with Nav. I am having a problem with the auto head lights. When it is set to auto, they come on when it gets dark. When I turn the car off (I have the advance key) the lights stay on. If I open the door it makes a buzzing sound. If I do nothing, then after about 30 sec the lights go out on its own. The manual says the lights should turn off when the ignition is turned off. Does anyone else have this problem?

Maybe it does have something called "follow home" feature (thought)
and you have option to control the time when the headlight stay on
after the ignition off? (scratch)

On any car with auto headlights that I've driven (basically just my mom's 3 nissan altimas (03, 05, and 07) and my sister's maxima.. if the lights came on automatically, they'll stay on for 30 seconds after getting out of the car and locking the doors, as a convenience feature. The lights are still turning off when you turn off the ignition, just with a delay. It's likely something the dealership can reprogram (or maybe there's a way to reprogram it yourself, check the owner's manual) for you.

How do you like the CX-9 so far? I saw one on the road the other day and it looked great! it definitely doesn't look too similar to the CX-7 as I was afraid it might.

My CX-9 auto headlights behave the same way as Robert's. Kansei, what you describe makes sense and that's what the CX-9 does, which is all fine. But the trully annoying part to notice is that the car still BUZZES at you indicating the headlight are on, even though the car itself is in control of the headlights. Robert is correct, the manual does not describe this behaviour, it just says the headlights will turn off automatically in auto mode, nothing about delay and, more importantly, nothing about buzzing the warning tone in auto mode. That buzzing behaviour is trully stupid. Mazda3 with auto headlights doesn't do that, for example, no buzzing in auto lights mode, the way it should be.

I've asked the dealer and the dealer checked with Mazda Canada. They say it's normal. I've indicated that answer is unacceptable and am escalating it as high at Mazda Canada as I have to. Otherwise, this is trully going to drive me nuts to the rest of the ownership of this car. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
Yeah, that it buzzes at you is stupid. I haven't seen it like that on any other cars with auto headlights.

In the CX7, it turns OFF at once when you turn OFF the ignition.

Thanks everyone, I have had the same question on my wifes CX-9. I tried the auto and once I turned off the car it buzzed like I left the lights on. I glanced at the manual and didn't see the answer so I have yet to use the auto feature again. At least it will turn off then, I wasn't even sure of that. With the car buzzing once the engine is shut off lead me to believe it won't shut off automatically.

CX-9 "a real head banger"

My CX-9 does the same thing. The lights turn off about 30 seconds after the beep.

Just picked up my 07 GT. I am ony 5'7" and didn't realize I would have to duck down and squeeze in under the sloping front door. I drove this several times before I purchased and cannot believe I didn't notice. Adjusting the seats does not help. Other than a helmut, any suggestions?

Also, gas pedal and brake pedal have unsual spacing between them. Does anybody think that, too?

Lights going off...

I found that with my Grand Am, the lights will go off if you set the parking brake before you turn it off. Otherwise it's the same 30 second deal. Wonder if that works the same on the CX-9...

My 08 CX-9 GT has no problems with this. I keep the lights on Auto all the time, and there is no warning when shutting off and exiting in my garage.

I have a 08 CX-9 GT also and do not have this issue. If fact even if the headlights are on the "on" position it doesn't beep and they turn off automatically when the ignition is turned off.

Back