how do I get my Freakin winter tires off!!!

OK, I bought hub centric steelies and Pirellies for the winter. They've been great and now it's getting warm enough to switch back to my summer tires. Problem is I can't get the rims off the car now!!!!! Yes I've removed the nuts!!!! but therims just won't budge!! Any Ideas short of a sledge!

yeah, smack the back of them with a rubber mallot. The rears always seized up on my Protege, and thats how I got them off.

was98strat said:
OK, I bought hub centric steelies and Pirellies for the winter. They've been great and now it's getting warm enough to switch back to my summer tires. Problem is I can't get the rims off the car now!!!!! Yes I've removed the nuts!!!! but therims just won't budge!! Any Ideas short of a sledge!

I had the problem myself after a long Ontario winter.
I recommend putting the car on the ground then hammering the centre of the wheel with a rubber mallet to loosen it up.....If that fails you'll have to hammer it with the wheel off the ground.....Best bet is to take it to the dealer and have them replace the wheels....It only costs $25 and could potentially save you lots of stress.
Anthony

I carry a rubber mallet in my trunk.. it fits nicely in the hole where the scissor jack is. :)

I usually give the tire a kick, but if it is still on, you can put the lugnuts on partway, and lower the car back down onto the frozen wheel. The weight of the car, and the slack you have given it from the loossened lugnuts is usually enough. If this is still not enough, a mallet! (argh)

Keep Zooming!

Rim seize suggestion

What I have done in the past is use the anti-seize copper compound and wipe it on the hub..works like a charm.

Medicman said:
What I have done in the past is use the anti-seize copper compound and wipe it on the hub..works like a charm.

I was going to reccommend the anti-seize as well. Steel likes to electrically weld itself to aluminum.

I found this out the hard way when I neglected to put anti-seize on spark plugs in an aluminum head.

Back in the older days my buddies and I will loosen nuts slightly (double nutted) and drive arund the blocks until there's a slight vibration.

07MZ5SA said:
Back in the older days my buddies and I will loosen nuts slightly (double nutted) and drive arund the blocks until there's a slight vibration.

Yup, I used to do the same, Till I stripped a lug nut bolt.

Never had a problem. Just make sure the nuts are backed up one turn from contact and back-to-back.

This method does not work with short bolts.

The steel winter wheels came right off our 5, thank goodness. On a previous car I had stuck wheels from time to time. The above tips are correct. In an extreme case I have had to drive around with slightly loose lug nuts and that worked when all the pounding in the world didn't. Don't need to loosen the lug nuts much at all and definitely don't have to drive at high speed. It's hard cornering that pops it loose.

Just when I thought it was safe to put the Toyos back on we're getting three inches more snow. At least we'll find out if the Toyos are as bad in the snow as I suspect.

Jon

The Toyos are not horrible in the snow and ice, just not what I would have wanted to ride on all winter long. We had snow and ice this week also. My tailor has a 5 and he left the Toyos on all winter without complaint.

In extreme situations, you can use a sledge. However, don't hit the tire or rim directly with the sledge. Lean a 2x4 (or other piece of wood) up against the bottom of the tire/rim and hit that. I had to do this one time (not on the P5) when every other option failed me. One swing with that 10lb. sledge and the wheel was off.

Back