install a subwoofer

SilverWidow said:
I have and will elaborate and post pictures for you tomorrow.
Once you do that..if pictures are included i will put it into the "How To" Forum. (bowdown)

It's not a special install or anything. Just the stuff I took out of my old car. I have the X7 (amp) mounted on the back of the rear driver side seat, speaker cables are ran under the barrier behind the woofer box so you don't see them. The hardest part was the line drive adapter that I tapped into the inputs of the bose amp underneath the passenger seat. Not the greatest pictures but it's pretty cramped under there. Really easy to install (once you get to it) I had to remove the seat of the passenger seat then the plate that covers the factory bose amp. I used a David Navone NE-7V, it comes with easy to install directions. You only have to tap into the front speaker inputs + and - on the bose amp. I left mine easily exesable so I can just unplug and replug into my aftermarket deck once there is a dash kit we can use. I had a really nice picture of a wiring diagram for the bose amp but can't seem to find in at the moment. I will post when I have time to dig for it. Hope some of this is helpful for you.

Attachments

• Solo X2.JPG
    Solo X2.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,032
  • X7 Back of driverside back seat.JPG
    X7 Back of driverside back seat.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,084
  • NE-7V Under Passenger Seat.JPG
    NE-7V Under Passenger Seat.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,050
  • NE-7V Under Passenger Seat 2.JPG
    NE-7V Under Passenger Seat 2.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 949
  • NE-7V Under Passenger Seat 3.JPG
    NE-7V Under Passenger Seat 3.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 953
SilverWidow, I'd like to inform you that the Bose stereo on your Mazdaspeed6 puts out 2v line-level outputs. That means you don't need a Line-Out-Converter. All you have to do is place RCA ends on the outputs from the factory head unit. There is info about this on the "Mazda 6 Club . com" website (can't link directly because of stupid cross-linking rules).

Also, if you are only powering a subwoofer (mono) then you can probably get by with just using the input signal wires to the factory bose subwoofer amp (the sub is powered by a separate amp located on the back of the sub).

Finally, since the Bose head unit puts out line-level quality outputs, there is really no need for an aftermarket deck unless you want a flashy display or exotic features like bluetooth or DVD playback. MP3 playback is a breeze with one of the aux-input adapters or ipod-adapters available. You can also get the phatbox too.

Well, I used the line out-converter becuase it supplied me with a 9v signal.

I cannot use the factory sub amp cause I took it out to have a nice big air hole leading into the cabin.

The aftermarket deck I already have is a touch screen dvd player and I would really enjoy more control over my system with its built-in EQ cause I think the EQ adjustments on the stock deck are crap.

The increased voltage only comes at the price of increased distortion and noise that the LOC introduces. Its not audible with a subwoofer but you would notice it if you were powering mids and tweeters. Amps have gains that allow adjustment for a as low as 0.5v so there is no need to boost the signal beforehand.

You didn't need the factory sub amp in place...you could have just tapped into the wires going to the amp. No biggie though. You still would have had to wire the power cable.

I can't help you with the DVD playback but if and EQ is what you are after, take a look at the Rockford Fosgate 360.2.

Latest posts

Back