Mazdaspeed 3 parts on Mazda 5???

spitpilot

Anyone using Mazdaspeed suspension upgrades on the Mazda 5? If they are build on same platform the shocks/struts and swaybar upgrades should be plug and play..but how 'bout the lowering springs...the extra weight of the 5 overload 'em?...I'd like a bit more responsiveness since I'm thinking about jumping ship from a Nuespeed modified VW...but I need the space of the 5 over the 3 hatchback..plus the sliding doors make loading into the back ez!(yupnope)

I'd be carefull too. There's around a 500lbs difference between the 3 sport and the 5. Bottoming out will be a real reality - especially with passengers.

H&R makes springs for it http://www.hrsprings.com/site/index.html

And there's a bunch more out there...I'm planning on lowering mine soon.

joeboy said:
I'd be carefull too. There's around a 500lbs difference between the 3 sport and the 5. Bottoming out will be a real reality - especially with passengers.

H&R makes springs for it http://www.hrsprings.com/site/index.html

And there's a bunch more out there...I'm planning on lowering mine soon.
Yeah..that's what I'd guess too..all though Mazdaparts online is offering the Mazdaspeed springs for the 3 for use on the 5 I don't see how they could handle the weight...unless you always wanted to drive solo..then what's the point of havin a 5?...How 'bout the swaybars (stabilizers) and shocks? Anyone tried the Mazdaspeed ones for a 3 on a 5?...Did they work? I'd just wonder about how stiff the bars are..do the 5 and 3 use the same stock bar or does the 5 already have thicker bars so the bigger Mazdaspeed 3 bars wouldn't be any different than stock ones on the 5?...Need a parts guy to check part #'s for stock 3 and 5 bars and shocks and see if they are the same..if so then Mazdaspeed setup should bolt right on and improve the 5's steering response plenty!...add the H&R lowering springs and the rear camber adjusters from Mazdaspeed and you'd really be on the "right track"...just need to confirm all this B4 plunkin down the big bucks for parts!(yupnope)

Leverage might be the answer...

Where is the lower spring mount in relation to the wheel? It may be closer to the wheel on the 5 which would give the spring more effective lift on the chassis.

rodslinger said:
Leverage might be the answer...

Where is the lower spring mount in relation to the wheel? It may be closer to the wheel on the 5 which would give the spring more effective lift on the chassis.
Both cars use a concentric strut suspension. There is no mechaical advantage to be had there...a spring that works with 3000 lbs Mazda 3 is gonna be overstressed with 3400 # Mazda 5 sitting on it. The drop between the large and small engined 3's is different and that tells me the rear end of the 5 is gonna be draggin with the 3 springs in there!..If they fit in the first place...according to Mazda HQ response I got.."Mazdaspeed parts for the 3 will NOT work on the 5"...of course that could be lawyer speak..but the only true knowledge would be to compare part numbers from 3 and 5 for suspension parts..sway bar, strut, spring and if they were identical..then Mazdaspeed parts for 3 would drop right into the 5. I don't think that's the case...(thought)

Sway bars, struts, springs, are not the same numbers for 5 and 3. Links and front control arms are. Due to the weight I'm sure the 5 has a larger stock bar than the 3. Kinda like the PT Cruiser vs. Neon thing. We all used to put PT Cruiser convertible bars on our 2nd gen Neons because they were 26mm vs Mopar Performance's 22mm Neon bar.
Dimensionally they LOOK the same, but I haven't gone as far as to measure or anything. Suppose I could some day, I have a set of Mazdaspeed sway bars in stock for a 3....

The 3 and 5 use the same suspension parts(aftermarket). If Mazdaspeed Japan uses the same parts, I am sure everything will be alright. I am currently on Progress springs from a 3, everything looks good so far.

RODSCALIP5 said:
The 3 and 5 use the same suspension parts(aftermarket). If Mazdaspeed Japan uses the same parts, I am sure everything will be alright. I am currently on Progress springs from a 3, everything looks good so far.
So are you saying there is info out there from Japan saying that upgrade parts for the 3 are acceptable for use on the 5? I sent an inquiry to tech support here in US and was told "no way"!:(

well, yes and no. some companies produce stuff exclusively for the 5 - such as H&R. sort of like companies who say the v6 mazda6 suspension works for the mazdaspeed6. is it better to go with something engineered for the car vs something that is just said to work? i can't say, but i did go with H&R springs on my 5 and it turned out great.

in the future i will putting the front brakes from a Mazdaspeed3 on my 5 as i find the existing brakes to be insufficient for my, uh, driving habits.

well, yes and no. some companies produce stuff exclusively for the 5 - such as H&R. sort of like companies who say the v6 mazda6 suspension works for the mazdaspeed6. is it better to go with something engineered for the car vs something that is just said to work? i can't say, but i did go with H&R springs on my 5 and it turned out great.

in the future i will putting the front brakes from a Mazdaspeed3 on my 5 as i find the existing brakes to be insufficient for my, uh, driving habits.

Did you have to make a camber adjustment after putting on the H&R springs?

Yup you do.
I have the H&R springs installed on my Mazda5 and the rear camber was waaay out afterwards. I used the MazdaSpeed camber adjustment plates in the back to pull those suckers back in line. These plates cost me a pretty penny to acquire and install.
Without the plates the back wheels were showing significant negative camber....like those Datsum 510's of old.
Anthony

Back