Saw a Veracruz at dealer today

sbmrinaldi

:
07 CX9 Grand Touring FWD
I know there has been talk between the Veracruz, CX-9 and Acadia/Outlook. The Veracruz I saw today at the dealer was a GLS which I think is a base model. It stickered at just over $29k, but as a base included rear park sensors, moonroof and heated seats (seats were fabric?).

Anyway, I just wanted to post my opinion. I cannot see how the Veracruz is comparible to the Mazda or Acadia/Outlook. It seems much smaller. With the 3rd row up and usuable there is zero room behind. The rear seat appears to almost rest on the rear window.

I know Hyundai has made leaps and bounds in quality, etc but the fact still remains they have very poor resale value. The look and quality of the base model didn't appear to me to be a nice as Acadia/Outlook and CX-9. I was happy to get a look at one, but if shopping again for a CUV that would be on the bottom of my list.

sbmrinaldi said:
I was happy to get a look at one, but if shopping again for a CUV that would be on the bottom of my list.

It wouldn't even be on my list.

Looked at the Cruz and the only cool thing was the back seat entertainment stuff (2thumbs) - otherwise no comp for CX 9 in my opinion...(yawn)

hyundai_veracruz.jpg

That is a nice setup. I wish I could have seen a loaded one, but then again I would hate to see the price. I still am not fond of any of the styling designs of the Hyundia's.

I'm in the process of writing a review of the Veracruz. Yesterday I drove an SE, then a CX-9 immediately afterwards. The Hyundai has some advantages, especially a lower price, but anyone who enjoys driving will much prefer the Mazda.

I can't see the Veracruz costing much less and if you factor the heavy depreciation, it will cost more. I would like to know the MSRP of a similar equipped CX-9 to the VC.

sbmrinaldi said:
I can't see the Veracruz costing much less and if you factor the heavy depreciation, it will cost more. I would like to know the MSRP of a similar equipped CX-9 to the VC.

Look them up then..........

A friend just bought an SE AWD and Hyundai have perfected the interior. Nice details and tons of compartments which I really liked. Passengers on the 2nd row seats are gonna be spoiled. They have controls for climate and if equipped with the DVD Entertainment Sysytem, they have controls too.

Interior lights are blue and it is nice. The center console is even equipped with a cooling system which means you can keep a can of Mountain Dew or a can of Bud Light (if you so dare) and it will be kept chilled. The cup holders are even accentuated with the blue LED that matches the interior lights. Nice touch.

Drive is quiet and smooth. The V6 is responsive enough but I think torque power needs more ooomphh. Accelerating from a dead stop is average. Braking is not that stellar. I almost missed my turn and have to use the breaks and it wasn't good enough for me. My CX7's braking power is years ahead.

PROS:

-deserves a 2nd look. It will rival the Lexus 350
-nicely appointed interiors
-compartments galore
-smooth, quiet ride
-Trip Computer is a plus

CONS:
-front grille fascia is bland
-No navigation option
-No HID/Xenon option
-braking and accelerating is average

Veracruz vs CX-9

Wife and I have looked at both. Both have pluses and minuses.

We believe the ride is much better in the 2nd row of seats in the Veracruz (don't feel the bumps as bad). Also we feel that the 2nd row seat rails that extend clear out into the area where your feet go are annoying (constantly catching the heel of my shoe on them) in the CX-9. Don't remember any rails sticking out on the Veracruz.

Resale value is only slightly worse for the Hyundai over the CX-9 (at least the sources I checked any way).

CX-9 is better looking. Veracruz is harder to find (at least Limited model). Veracruz has no iPod or MP3 option and no Nav system.

Really boils down to personal prefference.

I've seen and drove the Veracruz since a friend has one...but I will still prefer the CX9 with its good looks, features and performance. The CX9 is more expensive though so you need to factor the price.

Hyundai hasn't had much luck selling the Veracruz so far, but maybe it's still early. It is considerably smaller than the CX-9 and especially the GM crossovers.

A white Veracruz parked right next to my white CX-9 this morning. Made for a very interesting contrast. The Veracruz looked all big and lumpy while actually being smaller than the CX-9. Every aspect of the Veracruz looked cheaper. If there was a 50% difference in price, that would be acceptable, but there isn't THAT big a difference in price. The CX-9 just looked WAY nicer. No personal bias of course...

Shaz said:
A friend just bought an SE AWD and Hyundai have perfected the interior. Nice details and tons of compartments which I really liked. Passengers on the 2nd row seats are gonna be spoiled. They have controls for climate and if equipped with the DVD Entertainment Sysytem, they have controls too.

Interior lights are blue and it is nice. The center console is even equipped with a cooling system which means you can keep a can of Mountain Dew or a can of Bud Light (if you so dare) and it will be kept chilled. The cup holders are even accentuated with the blue LED that matches the interior lights. Nice touch.

Drive is quiet and smooth. The V6 is responsive enough but I think torque power needs more ooomphh. Accelerating from a dead stop is average. Braking is not that stellar. I almost missed my turn and have to use the breaks and it wasn't good enough for me. My CX7's braking power is years ahead.

PROS:

-deserves a 2nd look. It will rival the Lexus 350
-nicely appointed interiors
-compartments galore
-smooth, quiet ride
-Trip Computer is a plus

CONS:
-front grille fascia is bland
-No navigation option
-No HID/Xenon option
-braking and accelerating is average

Here's another con to add to the list:

-No matter what you do to the Veracruz, no matter what package you purchase, how good of a deal you get on one, how good or bad it looks, etc....... It's still a Hyundai and that in itself is the biggest con of all.

I'd go CX-7 all the way

lokalmotive said:
Here's another con to add to the list:

It's still a Hyundai and that in itself is the biggest con of all.
Wow, talk out of your ass, much? Hyundai has come a loooong way, they make quality vehicles now, and have fantastic warranties. Writing it off just because it's a Hyundai is completely ignorant. I hope that works out for you.

Foolish said:
Wow, talk out of your ass, much? Hyundai has come a loooong way, they make quality vehicles now, and have fantastic warranties. Writing it off just because it's a Hyundai is completely ignorant. I hope that works out for you.

Hyundai has come along way, but I still won't buy one. Hyundai equals NO resale value. Mazda is close to the top in every category here in Canada. There product line has improved, but no where near enough to get any interest from me. All indications are that the Veracruz drives more like a GM Acadian than a CX-9 or MDX. I'm not into that comfortable non responsive riide. The interior quality in the Veracruz has been GREATLY exagerated by some auto journalists. It is still just a Hyundai. My opinion is also probably amplified because the local Hyundai dealer is someone I would never do business with.

Foolish said:
(ohsnap!)

Last time I checked we as individuals were entitled to our own opinions. Mine is that Hyundai sucks and I would never own one. But to reply to what you said, A. Hyundai has to have that warrany to sell their product because of the majority of opinions of buyers is the same as mine B. They might have come a long way but it's just like buying a Tiburon and trying to make it a competitive car. No matter what you do to it the tuning community will always look at it as a Hyundai. C. I sell cars for a living and have driven almost every vehicle from every major manufacturer and can personally vouch from experience that EVERY single Hyundai I drove felt very unstable and unsafe. I don't just write it off "just because it's a Hyundai". I write them off because I've driven them multiple times and each time they've been terrible vehicles. I have time behind the wheel of them to back up my opinions. Thanks for trying to shut me down on that tho. I always enjoy a challenge. :)

Eh, fair enough. I probably just shouldn't post when I'm in a crappy mood.
You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, your earlier post seemed like you were just buying into the hate, going with popular opinion, with nothing to back it up. You have past experience to back it up, clearly you're not talking out of your ass! My mistake.(dunno)

Back