BOSE 6CD Changer Unit - MP3 ?

Guy

Hello,

I have a Mazda 6 Est TS2 with the BOSE sound system and the 6CD changer unit.

When I had the car I was under the impression that this unit would play MP3 tracks (the test driver car certainly did), however when I put a CD in it recognises that the CD is there, thinks there is one track which it appears to play and no sound comes out of the system.

I raised the question when the car went into service and they reported that it wasnt playing the MP3's as it wasnt a MP3 player.

How would I identify the model number of the player ? And should it or should it not play MP3s ? There is no MP3 label on the unit, but the one shown on the Mazda website doesnt seem to have that either.

Cheers

Guy

Guy said:
Hello,

I have a Mazda 6 Est TS2 with the BOSE sound system and the 6CD changer unit.

When I had the car I was under the impression that this unit would play MP3 tracks (the test driver car certainly did), however when I put a CD in it recognises that the CD is there, thinks there is one track which it appears to play and no sound comes out of the system.

I raised the question when the car went into service and they reported that it wasnt playing the MP3's as it wasnt a MP3 player.

How would I identify the model number of the player ? And should it or should it not play MP3s ? There is no MP3 label on the unit, but the one shown on the Mazda website doesnt seem to have that either.

Cheers

Guy

I don't think it will play MP3s. You'll have to convert them to WAV files and then burn the CD.

Rawyzf said:
I don't think it will play MP3s. You'll have to convert them to WAV files and then burn the CD.
I am having the same problem that Guy has. The owners manual does say the system will play MP3s. However, experience says otherwise. I'm on the road right now, but I plan on experimenting more...

the factory system will not play MP3s... you have to buy a dealer installed replacement (an accessory) that could

someone noted that it's $380 USD to purchase the 6 disc mp3 player,
anyhow, this is wat i did...i posted this in the Torontomazda6.com's forum

I had the Audio Link MP3 unit for more than a week now...
i've had the unit in my glove box, but have realized maybe it
will be cool to have it on the dash instead.
So i've read the How-to remove centre console over and over.......
took me a few attemps in order to get the whole thing out...
before goin' into details, i must say this is an awesome unit!
i used a OCZ 2gig Flash drive (matching LED colour)
to store all my MP3s..it is surely cheaper to get the AudioLink MP3 unit
than the OEM MP3 player.
it's easy, no need to be a rocket science....and very straight forward.
before anything, i must say thx to some guys that have helped
me out, w/o them i cannot complete this task

Mazda6tech forum's How-to remove centre console...for the videos+pics
Tazz200 in M6C forum...guidin' me how to remove cover plate+HU
Joe @ MoT - awesome discount on the Cover Plate
therpmstore.com - great product!

Anyhow, i've removed the centre console as shown in the "how-to"
- disconnect all cables from HU and HVAC
- detach face plate with HU and HVAC from car
- removed (4) pink hex head machine screw on the HU, (2) per side
- slide HU out, from front to rear
- remove cover plate by pressin' all (4) tabs, push plate from outside towards the rear
- line up your USB extension cable to the back of the cover plate
- mark a retangle hole w/ pencil
- drill 4 small clearance holes inside the pencil marked rectangle
- cut rectangle out w/ rotary saw or drill bit
- file out the rough/round edges until you get a semi-perfect triangle
- once rectangle is filed, used a black magic marker to touch-up all edges.
- clean surface of USB plug and the surface where you will adhere to w/ rubbing alcohol
(i chose to adhere the USB to one of the 'bottom snap-on tabs' using 3M VHB tape)
- shim the 3 remaining sides w/ foam tape (optional, i used some various sized norton tapes)
- Slide the HU back onto the face plate, fasten all pink machine screws
- store the Audio link unit in the open slot below the HU, no need to tape it it will not fall!
- reinstall everything and voila!
here are some pics of end product! Enjoy!
Overall view
1overalqe1.jpg

USB + Lights
2usbandlightsil9.jpg

USB + Lights Zoomed
3usbandlightszoomedgo1.jpg

USB @ Off
4usboffee2.jpg

USB Removed
5usbremoveduc8.jpg

USB Removed Zoomed
6usbremovedzoomedoc1.jpg

i assume no responsibility or liability for this information. use at your own risk! Nevertheless, i will gladly to help and answer as much question as i can.

There are numerous options that are better than the $380 Mazda 6-disc MP3 changer.

For example, you could purchase an Audio Link for $125 and an Apple iPod for $250 and still come out on top with 30 gigs of music that you can take with you when you leave the car!

Thanks ChicagoKid but we've already established that...and determined there are better, cheaper alternatives to being raped by Mazda for something that should have came stock.

Easiest and cheapest way to play your Mp3 music is to convert them to wav files and then burn the cd. That is what I do. Just do a (google) search for mp3 to wav converter, there are a lot of free ones out there.

Nero, which comes with most DVD drives will do it. Just select the MP3s you want and choose "Audio CD" when you burn it. However, it limits you to 70 minutes per CD.

Nero will do the job.....BUT i still prefer Quantity over quality,
1 CD gives u approx 20songs, 6 CDs = 120songs
2gig flash drive can handle +300 songs assuming 3mb/song

i used to burn mp3>wav onto highspeed CDRW, but it's too much trouble,
it waste too much time...not worth it.. IMO

Back