PDA

View Full Version : Mazda considering CX-5, a Hakaze-inspired crossover

Antoine
03-26-2007, 01:55 AM
Mazda considering CX-5, a Hakaze-inspired crossover

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_431/car_photo_215850_5.jpg

Mazda made it clear at the beginning of this auto show season that each of the three concepts it debuted would be more production ready than the last. First there was the Nagare concept that debuted at the LA Auto Show, and then came the Ryuga concept that was shown at the Detroit Auto Show. The final concept, called the Hakaze, debuted this month in Geneva, and according to a report from Auto Express is destined to inspire the design of a production CUV called the CX-5.

The naming convention used here is apt, as the new ute will combine the utility of the CX-7 with the fun-to-drive nature of the MX-5. What's more, it appears the CX-5 will be the second vehicle in Mazda's lineup after the RX-8 to sport a pair of rear-hinged "suicide" doors that provide easier access to vehicle's second row of seats.

The rendering shown on Auto Express reveals the CX-5 will share a basic shape with the Hakaze concept, but many cues will be toned down on the production version. Considering that Mazda used an interesting ripple effect on the exterior sheetmetal of all three concepts, we were surpised to see the CX-5's sheetmetal is as smooth as a baby's butt. Regardless, the CX-5 could reach showrooms as early as 2010.

-AutoBlog

Antoine
03-26-2007, 01:57 AM
Thanks to Mikey's thread for the pic! :D

bradicus18
03-26-2007, 08:40 PM
2010?? Are we jumping the gun a little bit on a new forum?? (boom07)

Interesting concept and it looks pretty good.

Antoine
03-26-2007, 10:07 PM
2010?? Are we jumping the gun a little bit on a new forum?? (boom07)

Interesting concept and it looks pretty good.

Nope...2010 is just an estimation...as for the new forum...you can never start too early. ;)

GMalatrasi
03-26-2007, 10:24 PM
What power plant will it have?

Antoine
03-26-2007, 10:35 PM
Good question...It has the RX-8 door setup...Does that mean there is a possibility of the CX-5 going rotary? I don't think it's too far-fetched...A rotary crossover...That would be cool! :D

GMalatrasi
03-26-2007, 11:55 PM
Do you think the renesis has enough torque to move a heavier car?

Blackrose
03-27-2007, 12:14 AM
Do you think the renesis has enough torque to move a heavier car?

It would if it had a 20b renisis........ think about that. That would be awsome.

GMalatrasi
03-27-2007, 12:16 AM
It would if it had a 20b renisis........ think about that. That would be awsome.
Sorry I'm not familiar with that engine...
what is it?
is it just bigger?
does it have more rotors?

Blackrose
03-27-2007, 12:19 AM
Sorry I'm not familiar with that engine...
what is it?
is it just bigger?
does it have more rotors?

Well im not sure there even is a 20B renesis. But the 20B wenkol was a 3 rotor motor. 2.0 litter 3 rotor.

Im sure the regualar renesis would be able to move that thing around. That CX-5 doesnt look all that big. And im sure it cant weight too much. I doubt they would put the rotary in an SUV though.

Antoine
03-27-2007, 12:51 AM
In a recent press release about Mazda's future intentions...They are putting a lot of R&D into producing lighter vehicles in addition to a new generation rotary (with enhanced power and fuel efficiency)...So there is a possibility...Guess we'll have to wait and see :D

Blackrose
03-27-2007, 01:14 AM
In a recent press release about Mazda's future intentions...They are putting a lot of R&D into producing lighter vehicles in addition to a new generation rotary (with enhanced power and fuel efficiency)...So there is a possibility...Guess we'll have to wait and see :D

Wow that would be kinda cool.

GMalatrasi
03-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Indeed

AWmustang
03-27-2007, 02:42 PM
2010?!?!?! Crap my cx-7 lease is up in 2009.

I hope they offer the CX-5 in stick.

antlind
03-27-2007, 03:06 PM
Let's hope the appetite for SUVs and CUVs is still strong come 2010.
Anthony

chuyler1
03-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Is Mazda turning into an SUV company?

spike blue
03-27-2007, 07:46 PM
seems to !!!

shalezoom3
03-27-2007, 08:17 PM
I am sure it will sport the engine in smaller platforms...2.0 or 2.3.

but looks interesting.

Blackrose
03-27-2007, 08:27 PM
I am sure it will sport the engine in smaller platforms...2.0 or 2.3.

but looks interesting.

Right like I said a 2.0L 20B would do nicely in there...... lol.

Antoine
03-28-2007, 04:12 AM
Almost every "main-stream" brand has some sort of SUV or CUV in the lineup...Why? Because people want them and buy them...Mazda can't do anything if they don't make any money. :D

I'm not a big fan of either but I will tell you that Mazda has done a hell of a job with its CUV lineup...They are attractive, sporty and useful vehicles which is a lot more than I can say for the uninspired crap other brands offer...If I were in the market for a CUV/SUV...I would choose the CX-7 without hesitation...I think it's a great CUV!

As for the CX-5...Yeah...Most likely it will be a piston driven 2.0 or 2.3 but I wouldn't give up on the idea of a new gen rotary under the hood...That would be one hell of a way for Mazda to get some attention!

jamalunas
05-16-2007, 10:35 AM
The japanese production RX-8 has a 3 rotor engine, and ive seen/heard about 13-b rotorys from rx-7's being moded into 3 rotors. from what i hear they push almost 500HP which is quite a bit. its very possible that they could make a rotory CUV.

neit_jnf
05-16-2007, 01:00 PM
The japanese production RX-8 has a 3 rotor engine, and ive seen/heard about 13-b rotorys from rx-7's being moded into 3 rotors. from what i hear they push almost 500HP which is quite a bit. its very possible that they could make a rotory CUV.

WRONG

All RX-8's regardless of country have the 13B-based Renesis.

RX-7's with 3 rotors are done with an engine swap, take 13B out put 20B in.

Converting a 13B to a 20B is possible but needs very specific parts and someone that knows how.

clos561
06-01-2007, 10:40 AM
maybe a hydrogen or hybrid setup? we are talking about 2010 right? and a while back i saw a concept hydrogen rotary turbo engine that produces as much power as a regular motor today but runs hydro....

Newf
06-07-2007, 01:59 PM
why would you ruin this by putting in a rotary? The gas, the oil....not worth it.

Antoine
06-09-2007, 02:28 AM
why would you ruin this by putting in a rotary? The gas, the oil....not worth it.

I believe Mazda is working on a new gen rotary in addition to the one running on Hydrogen so the "gas and oil" may not even be an issue anymore...:)

clos561
06-09-2007, 12:02 PM
that will nice...future cars are going to be badass and it will be cool to see how people will mods hydro cars and race em lol...

Dalton
06-18-2007, 09:34 PM

How can you consider yourself a Mazda enthusiast???(boom01)
"not worth it" (no) Rotary is worth every inch or penny (thumb)

SuperProtege5
06-24-2007, 12:38 AM
NEW IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Take a 20B wankel rotory with turbos, stuff it into the CX-5 and presto you have the new Mazdaspeed CX-5

AWmustang
06-25-2007, 08:40 AM
NEW IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Take a 20B wankel rotory with turbos, stuff it into the CX-5 and presto you have the new Mazdaspeed CX-5

That would be hot!!! I would be first in line for that!!! Better have stick!

perfecto
07-11-2007, 05:04 PM
If it is going to have a rotary, they wouldn't be touting it as CX - it would be another RX. :)

Igve2shtz
08-13-2007, 10:07 PM
If they build it, I will come. As long as its sportin a turbo MZR actuated by a 6 speed manual (or a DSG style trans) feeding all 4 wheels. Im sure by then Ill have a wife who needs a new car.

AWmustang
08-14-2007, 10:37 AM
I hope somebody at Mazda reads these forums.

Oh and it should be packed with technology, advanced key, Nav, BLUETOOTH, Aux imput for stereo.

And please please please, give us a switch for the all wheel drive so that we can select normal, sport and winter settings.

cruzdreamer
08-25-2007, 05:42 PM
Same wheels as the CX 7...I am liking it and maybe it's my next after the CX 7 since I have 4 more years on it!

Flash5
08-31-2007, 03:00 PM
Looks pretty sweet, if done right could be huge with the younger crowd.

livelyjay
09-10-2007, 01:14 PM
If they throw the hybrid power plant from the Ford Escape in there, I will buy one before it hits the show room floor.

AtenzaNY62
11-12-2007, 03:05 AM
the honda elements have the same doors dont they? another suv by mazda... eh why dont they make another 2 seater that has a rotary in it

AWmustang
11-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Because 2 seater's with rotaries don't keep a company in business. Look at Porsche... even they had to start making an SUV. They have a 4 door sedan coming out and they will have a smaller SUV soon as well.

Car companies cannot live on sports cars alone.

crashkelly
11-13-2007, 10:26 AM
porsche's 4 door looks like shit though...i dont know why they tried to keep the 2 door body style for that. they should have just attempted something new instead of making a stretched out coupe. Their 4 door almost looks like a bmw z4...which also looks oddly phallic...

Crazee D
01-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Good question...It has the RX-8 door setup...Does that mean there is a possibility of the CX-5 going rotary? I don't think it's too far-fetched...A rotary crossover...That would be cool! :D

If it is going to have a rotary, they wouldn't be touting it as CX - it would be another RX. :)

That what i was thinkin, the RX-5 or CRX-5

WRONG
All RX-8's regardless of country have the 13B-based Renesis.
RX-7's with 3 rotors are done with an engine swap, take 13B out put 20B in.
Converting a 13B to a 20B is possible but needs very specific parts and someone that knows how.

Ya beat me to it. No 3 rotor Renesis fun.
I bet there are a few loco locals in PR that know how!
U forgot to mention my favorite, the dual 13b's mated for the 4 rotor!

MazdaMatt
04-10-2008, 04:06 PM
new photoshop from japanese magazine.

mazdadude
04-10-2008, 07:34 PM
new photoshop from japanese magazine.

That is one cute shoe!

AWmustang
04-11-2008, 09:13 AM
ooo... I like that.

Mazda, if you are listening, stick shift with AWD in the US.

zuku26
04-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Mazda used the Rotory in the REPU truck, so it wouldn't be a first in light trucks, this is basically a light SUV. GO MAZDA!!

zoomzoomnavarro
07-04-2008, 05:08 PM
they are working with the mazda 5 in japan with the hydrogen rotary! that would be so amazing if they did it with the cx-5. but would it ever make it to the US?? and yes a stick CUV would be great!

AWmustang
07-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Nevermind.

qddave
07-15-2008, 10:39 AM
The sales manager at the dealership I go to confirmed that there is an upcoming Tribute replacement...he called it a compact crossover. He didn't have a name but we talked about it and figured it would likely be called a CX-5. No other details than that sorry.

AtenzaNY62
10-12-2008, 07:36 PM
stop making crossovers wtf...

AWmustang
10-13-2008, 08:44 AM
stop making crossovers wtf...

no one's forcing you to buy one.

MazdaMatt
10-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Mr. Muir,CEO of Mazda Motor Europe confirms cx-5 scheduled for production

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Mazda-Concepts/235412/

Antoine
10-26-2008, 08:25 AM
(cool) Looking forward to see what the production version looks like and what sort of powertrain choices there will be...Will we see some sort of hyrbid or Hydrogen option??? :D

MazdaMatt
10-27-2008, 01:37 PM
(cool) Looking forward to see what the production version looks like and what sort of powertrain choices there will be...Will we see some sort of hyrbid or Hydrogen option??? :D

IMHO-----> NO WAY (loser)

big crisis issues......oil it's going down......in my opinion we'll see a conventional car (but with the tecnologies of next 3..DI, SISS ect.....)

Antoine
10-28-2008, 05:01 AM
Down the line was my point...Obviously not in the immediate future (unless Mazda pulls a fast one on us)...Especially if the CX-5 is due in showrooms as soon as 2009 or 2010!

I'm just "fast forwarding" a bit because I'd like to see Mazda offer some sort of hybrid/alternative powertrain in the near future. I think it would be really cool if Mazda offered the CX-5 as a light & sporty mini-crossover with hybrid/alternative power...Maybe they will but most likely NOT in the near future.

It seems Mazda's main strategy for the immediate future is to make the most of existing engine technology, weight savings and gasoline power with regards to its "piston" powered models...While focusing on hybrid/alternative power for the rotary engine. At some point...They will need to offer more than just "conventional" gas engines in their "bread & butter" models like the 2, 3 and 6.

In anycase...I'm excited about the future of automobile technology and Mazda's continued involvement in the field. I'm really happy that they are still supporting and developing the rotary engine...(2thumbs)

MazdaMatt
10-28-2008, 07:43 AM
yes...i agree...i was only joking a little bit....(bump)

but IMHO for H2 (for customer worlwide) the road it's veeeeeery long....

one of my question about the future models of Mazda it's the announced h2 car with 400 km of range, scheduled before 2012 (correct?)..

not easy to reach....

my fingers are crossed for a gasoline rotary hybrid car for customers......it's pointed on my agenda....;)

TheDirtyGoatee
12-30-2008, 01:46 PM
I like it.

GeorgeMichael
12-20-2009, 03:47 PM
I am sure the regular renises would be able to move that thing around. That CX-5 does not look all that big. And I am sure it cant weight too much. I doubt they would put the rotary in an SUV though.

Neo_omega
01-26-2010, 02:12 PM
interesting how big is it? about the size of Mazda3?

MazdaMatt
01-26-2010, 05:13 PM
hey ...see this video....this is Ikuo Maeda, Chief Designer at Mazda

watch it in fullscreen if you can...pay a lot of attention to right side of Maeda's face...see after that " green wall", there is a metallic grey model of a kind of small crossover/SUV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu_ejGDGVYY&feature=player_embedded

minute: 0:28 0:52 2:14 (+ others)

cx-5 maybe? just a case?...i don't think so

PMinAU
03-21-2010, 07:11 AM
Hi

New here. I don't have a Mazda yet, but I would love to have one, especially a small crossover, given Mazda's outstanding reputation. I have tried to summarize the current situation in relation to the mysterious missing CX-5 in a blog entry at this address (http://www.users.on.net/~pbm/PMMCarBlogs/Peter_McMutry_Car_Blogs_Home/Entries/2010/3/20_Where_the_Hakaze__Mazda_CX-5_gone_AWOL.html). Does anyone here have further information? I noted the Youtube suggestion above, and it's intriguing, MazdaMatt.
Peter

MazdaMatt
03-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Hi

New here. I don't have a Mazda yet, but I would love to have one, especially a small crossover, given Mazda's outstanding reputation. I have tried to summarize the current situation in relation to the mysterious missing CX-5 in a blog entry at this address (http://www.users.on.net/%7Epbm/PMMCarBlogs/Peter_McMutry_Car_Blogs_Home/Entries/2010/3/20_Where_the_Hakaze__Mazda_CX-5_gone_AWOL.html). Does anyone here have further information? I noted the Youtube suggestion above, and it's intriguing, MazdaMatt.
Peter

Hi, Peter...the car (cx-5 or sometimes called cx-3) was confirmed several times in the last year , free citations from executives: Mazda Europe CEO: "a special crossover version of Mazda 3", Mazda Motor CEO a few months ago was talking about "a SUV below CX-7" and so on....

the economics are bad, tough....and in Mazda, they have delayed the plans on this car.

my 2 cents...We'll see a production version in 2011...and with Next Gen SKY Engines under the hood, Maeda's video is a confirmation IMHO

PMinAU
03-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Hi, Peter...the car (cx-5 or sometimes called cx-3) was confirmed several times in the last year , free citations from executives: Mazda Europe CEO: "a special crossover version of Mazda 3",

Aha, Mazda CX-3! Thanks MazdaMatt ;) that's another lead to follow.
Peter

Antoine
03-23-2010, 01:00 AM
Hi, Peter...the car (cx-5 or sometimes called cx-3) was confirmed several times in the last year , free citations from executives: Mazda Europe CEO: "a special crossover version of Mazda 3", Mazda Motor CEO a few months ago was talking about "a SUV below CX-7" and so on....

the economics are bad, tough....and in Mazda, they have delayed the plans on this car.

my 2 cents...We'll see a production version in 2011...and with Next Gen SKY Engines under the hood, Maeda's video is a confirmation IMHO

Great to see new info on a possible CX-3 or CX-5...It would be a natural extension of Mazda's "Zoom Zoom" style...A fun, sporty yet durable/practical compact style suv that's not only fun to use but fun to drive! (drive)

Offer it at an affordable price with cool options and a SKY series engine and you're golden, Mazda! (first)

Thanks for the info, MazdaMatt! (thumb)

PMinAU
05-22-2010, 05:47 AM
Looks like it's all over. No Mazda to be built in this category :(

Read this article (http://www.users.on.net/~pbm/PMMCarBlogs/Peter_McMutry_Car_Blogs_Home/Entries/2010/5/22__Mazda_CX-5_or_CX-3_now_dumped.html)

MazdaMatt
05-24-2010, 03:18 PM
possible that are "artifact statement" for doing a "smoke wall" over the car in final development and not disturb the well-selling Cx-7 in 2010.

in 2011 Yamanouchi have declared OFFICIALLY that SKY engines will be launched.......... in wich car?

-Not into new 5 (engines are almost actual MZR)

-Mx-5 ND?

-what else?

i'm expecting NEW cars in 2011 NAIAS and/or 2011 Geneve Salon.

MazdaMatt
05-26-2010, 02:56 PM
this month japanese magazine "MAg -X" confirm cx-5 with sky engine

july 2010 number, page 16.

AWmustang
05-27-2010, 09:09 AM
this month japanese magazine "MAg -X" confirm cx-5 with sky engine

july 2010 number, page 16.

Does it say which markets they are planning to sell it in?

MazdaMatt
05-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Does it say which markets they are planning to sell it in?

CEO of Mazda said officially (@2010 NY Auto Show): "we'll launch SKY gasoline engines in 2011 worldwide"

in my opinion Cx-5 and/or mx-5 ND are the best candidate for that line of engines.

we'll see...

mtnbob
08-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Not sure how these guys know so much more than anyone else, but they seem pretty sure
www.reedmantollmazda.com/2011-mazda-cx5.htm
(BTW, I'm in Texas, they're in Philly, so no commercial)
Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.
I have read, though, that they're not coming out until "late 2011" - too bad, since their main competition will get a year jump on them - bad planning, Mazda. And I was wanting to buy a car this year, don't know if I can hold off another 12-14 months. I wish automakers wouldn't even tell us about new stuff until is only 6 months or so till they're on the lot.

AWmustang
08-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Not sure how these guys know so much more than anyone else, but they seem pretty sure
www.reedmantollmazda.com/2011-mazda-cx5.htm
(BTW, I'm in Texas, they're in Philly, so no commercial)
Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.
I have read, though, that they're not coming out until "late 2011" - too bad, since their main competition will get a year jump on them - bad planning, Mazda. And I was wanting to buy a car this year, don't know if I can hold off another 12-14 months. I wish automakers wouldn't even tell us about new stuff until is only 6 months or so till they're on the lot.

A great article which I hope is true, however it is quite old. It talks about "next year" when Ford rolls out the fiesta and its arriving in dealers right now. Also, it makes clear mention of Ford's strong tie to Mazda, however Ford sold the majority of its stake in Mazda at the beginning of 2009. I'm not saying this info is wrong, just old.

mtnbob
08-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Yeah, just grasping at straws, I guess, but desperate for any info since Mazda isn't giving us any. Like I said, why say "Hey, we're going to build this great car! Oh, wait it's not coming for a long time and we're not going to say anything else."

MazdaMatt
08-28-2010, 02:36 AM
wait for some news in September before Paris Motor Show. a concept (maybe near to production, not only a study) is expected.

we'll see.

cruzdreamer
11-19-2010, 11:21 AM
The economy is slowly improving and car sales are actually doing ok...I have a uncle who owns a Ford dealership and my brother has been selling for 20 years now. It still tough but not bad. I think Mazda will build it. Nissan has the Juke which I am considering next but just wish it was a little bigger...soo...if Mazda does the CX 5 I think it will be a serious contender. But who knows...anything can happen! Let's hope they build it....I wat a yellow one!!! ;]

PMinAU
02-11-2011, 09:35 PM
The Minagi concept is the cx-5 or cx-3, it seems: http://tinyurl.com/4gsh4f4 (http://tinyurl.com/4gsh4f4)

jeffmsp
02-15-2011, 05:40 PM
http://www.users.on.net/~pbm/PMMCarBlogs/Peter_McMutry_Car_Blogs_Home/Entries/2011/1/22_Mazda_CX-5_Minagi_Crossover_files/shapeimage_6.png

sexy mx3 precidia gets raped by big nissan murano = one ugly kid (see above)

jeffmsp
02-15-2011, 05:47 PM
http://www.ctselite.ca/jeffpics/mx3.jpg

2 mins in MSpaint and I give you the all new 2012 Mazda MX-3 Hybrid AKA CR-Z crusher

PMinAU
05-17-2011, 06:26 AM
OK, now we have seen the concept from most angles and looked inside (in fact everywhere but in the boot, which makes one wonder whether this is another small crossover with a too-small boot, like the Tiguan and Ford Kuga). The concept has been well-received by the motoring media, and here's (http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1058676_mazda-minagi-concept-2011-new-york-auto-show-live-photos) one sample. Of course, it ended up looking nothing like the sketch released some months earlier as a teaser pre-Geneva motor show. See my analysis of this trend of releasing go-fast sketches here (http://www.users.on.net/~pbm/PMMCarBlogs/Peter_McMutry_Car_Blogs_Home/Entries/2011/1/22_Mazda_CX-5_Minagi_Crossover.html).