Mazda considering CX-5, a Hakaze-inspired crossover

Antoine

Administrator
Mazda considering CX-5, a Hakaze-inspired crossover

car_photo_215850_5.jpg

Mazda made it clear at the beginning of this auto show season that each of the three concepts it debuted would be more production ready than the last. First there was the Nagare concept that debuted at the LA Auto Show, and then came the Ryuga concept that was shown at the Detroit Auto Show. The final concept, called the Hakaze, debuted this month in Geneva, and according to a report from Auto Express is destined to inspire the design of a production CUV called the CX-5.

The naming convention used here is apt, as the new ute will combine the utility of the CX-7 with the fun-to-drive nature of the MX-5. What's more, it appears the CX-5 will be the second vehicle in Mazda's lineup after the RX-8 to sport a pair of rear-hinged "suicide" doors that provide easier access to vehicle's second row of seats.

The rendering shown on Auto Express reveals the CX-5 will share a basic shape with the Hakaze concept, but many cues will be toned down on the production version. Considering that Mazda used an interesting ripple effect on the exterior sheetmetal of all three concepts, we were surpised to see the CX-5's sheetmetal is as smooth as a baby's butt. Regardless, the CX-5 could reach showrooms as early as 2010.

-AutoBlog

2010?? Are we jumping the gun a little bit on a new forum?? (boom07)

Interesting concept and it looks pretty good.

bradicus18 said:
2010?? Are we jumping the gun a little bit on a new forum?? (boom07)

Interesting concept and it looks pretty good.

Nope...2010 is just an estimation...as for the new forum...you can never start too early. ;)

Good question...It has the RX-8 door setup...Does that mean there is a possibility of the CX-5 going rotary? I don't think it's too far-fetched...A rotary crossover...That would be cool! :D

GMalatrasi said:
Do you think the renesis has enough torque to move a heavier car?

It would if it had a 20b renisis........ think about that. That would be awsome.

Blackrose said:
It would if it had a 20b renisis........ think about that. That would be awsome.
Sorry I'm not familiar with that engine...
what is it?
is it just bigger?
does it have more rotors?

GMalatrasi said:
Sorry I'm not familiar with that engine...
what is it?
is it just bigger?
does it have more rotors?

Well im not sure there even is a 20B renesis. But the 20B wenkol was a 3 rotor motor. 2.0 litter 3 rotor.

Im sure the regualar renesis would be able to move that thing around. That CX-5 doesnt look all that big. And im sure it cant weight too much. I doubt they would put the rotary in an SUV though.

Last edited:
In a recent press release about Mazda's future intentions...They are putting a lot of R&D into producing lighter vehicles in addition to a new generation rotary (with enhanced power and fuel efficiency)...So there is a possibility...Guess we'll have to wait and see :D

Antoine said:
In a recent press release about Mazda's future intentions...They are putting a lot of R&D into producing lighter vehicles in addition to a new generation rotary (with enhanced power and fuel efficiency)...So there is a possibility...Guess we'll have to wait and see :D

Wow that would be kinda cool.

shalezoom3 said:
I am sure it will sport the engine in smaller platforms...2.0 or 2.3.

but looks interesting.

Right like I said a 2.0L 20B would do nicely in there...... lol.

Almost every "main-stream" brand has some sort of SUV or CUV in the lineup...Why? Because people want them and buy them...Mazda can't do anything if they don't make any money. :D

I'm not a big fan of either but I will tell you that Mazda has done a hell of a job with its CUV lineup...They are attractive, sporty and useful vehicles which is a lot more than I can say for the uninspired crap other brands offer...If I were in the market for a CUV/SUV...I would choose the CX-7 without hesitation...I think it's a great CUV!

As for the CX-5...Yeah...Most likely it will be a piston driven 2.0 or 2.3 but I wouldn't give up on the idea of a new gen rotary under the hood...That would be one hell of a way for Mazda to get some attention!

Back