Snow Tires = Horrible Hwy Mileage ??

opus

:
2006 True Silver Mazda5 Touring 5M
My highway mileage lately has dipped into the 22-23 mpg territory. It seemed to stay around 28-30 before the snow tires were put on , Bridgestone Blizzaks on factory rims, but I do so little Hwy driving, once or at most twice a month, that I don't know if that was the exact time. My city mileage has stayed constant in the 21-22mpg area. And I do not baby it, I am a little on the aggressive side when it comes to driving. The tires are inflated to 35psi, and I check them regularly. I had noticed that there seems to be some restriction on acceleration also. Please let me know if this is a common experience, or am I blaming the problem on an unlikely culprit.
Thanks,
Opus

uhh... duh?

everyone knows that putting snow tires on and driving them on a nice day means bad gas mileage and horrible road noise

TheMAN said:
uhh... duh?

everyone knows that......
Saying yeah, thats normal wouldve helped him out just fine.

Instead you consistently go out of your way to belittle people on this site and make them feel stupid over simple questions. I dont know who you think youre impressing by being a dick seems to be some kind of inferiority complex that you need to make yourself feel better by putting others down. What a bad life you must go through to have so much hate to express.

jandree22 said:
Saying yeah, thats normal wouldve helped him out just fine.

Instead you consistently go out of your way to belittle people on this site and make them feel stupid over simple questions. I dont know who you think youre impressing by being a dick seems to be some kind of inferiority complex that you need to make yourself feel better by putting others down. What a bad life you must go through to have so much hate to express.

(first)
'nuf said.....

There are several people who think his name should be changed from "TheMAN" to "TheASS". He thinks his sh!t doesn't stink since he's compiled a bunch of Protege information and posted it on the internet.

As far as the gas mileage and winter tires goes, it could also be due to some winter blend gas. I have winter tires on both of my vehicles and haven't noticed any major mileage drops.

Tom is right, that winter blend fuel yields slighly lower economy. And of coarse low temps don't help as the engine warms up. I always seem to get 10% lower mpg in winter, snows or no.
As for the rest of it, as Rodney King so eloquently put it as his city crumbled into chaos around him "Can't we all just get along?" <----(that one's for you The Man)

I wonder when the change-over is for the summer blend Id guess by the end of April?

I havent been calculating my 5s mileage lately, but I know our Solara w/ a fuel computer generally calculates avg. 29-30 mpg in the summer, but lately its been in the 23-25 area. Driving through the denser cold air cant help as far as wind resistance goes, either.

Thanks to all for the feedback:) . As far as the slam, God knows what motivates such comments, but if it makes him feel better to belittle others than he surely has things going on that I'm just glad I don't have to deal with. By the way, Jandree, you know how to lay the smack down in an eloquent and unarguable manner!!!

Let's stay on topic ok.

In addition to tires, other reasons for poorer mileage in the winter include the cold weather itself, and traffic being heavier when it snows and so on.

ok from a canadian another reason is that there are more polar bears on the road and you have to either speed up or slow down to avoid this animals.

If it was a moose then you should really have your summer tires on eh.

Thanks for playin

Zoom5Zoom said:
ok from a canadian another reason is that there are more polar bears on the road and you have to either speed up or slow down to avoid this animals.

Thanks for playin

Yeah, I was driving in the Banff area a few years back. I was driving from Banff to Jasper and was told to avoid Highway 1 as there was construction and traffic could backup. Now, I am from south of Detroit, so traffic backing up is an everyday occurance, but if I can avoid it on vacation, I do. Well, we missed the alternate route, and ended up on HWY1 anyway. The backups were more Moose oriented, and by backup they meant that you saw a car every 5 minutes as opposed to every 10 minutes :). Canada, love the country, hate the taxes, but love the country.

Zoom5Zoom said:

Thanks for playin

Thank you for bringing some levity to the situation...LOL.

R(canada)

Back