Body Side Protection

lateralg2

The beautiful fender, door, and quarter panel sheet metal on my CX-9 appears to be very vulnerable to parking-lot damage. Its size increases the likelihood of occurrence.

Is anyone aware of a source for body side protection?

sbmrinaldi said:
I assume you mean body side moldings? I dont know of anything available for the Mazda.

Correct: Body Side Moldings.

Does anyone have experience with those that are generic, and the vehicle owner cuts to fit?

Most auto parts stores (Pep Boys) have the generic stick on door edge mouldings for a few dollars. I thing I paid $7 for a pair.

You can find them...

You can find them on the net and the cost, painted, should not run more than a couple hundred bucks. However, there is no place to put them that will protect from door dings from all vehicles. If you do not want dings, then you are going to need to park as far away as possible from the store or whatever.

Here is the link for the side moldings:

http://www.sportwing.com/catalog/displaycat.pcgi?fm_catid=22&fm_subcatid=103#

I got a door ding a few hours after I bought the car yesterday. The parking spots at my daycare center aren't wide enough for cars like the CX-9... And the mothers strapping in their toddlers really have my new car sheetmetal way down on their priority list... Oh well, such is life.
I just ordered a set of these moldings, and I was surprised to note that they dropped in price since I last researched them before I got the car- they are now $100.
Perhaps they won't stop all door dings, but the ding I got was exactly in line with where I would have mounted the molding.

** UPDATE **

OK, I finally put the trim on. It was easy but you need to have the car warm, like in a garage, for the glue to stick.
I think it looks totally factory. i don't mind the extra trim line at all.

cx9_trim.jpg

bill 42,

Looks good....Is there a recommended height for the door trim to be attached or did you just decide where best to fasten?

Looks good Bill! I did the same to my 2007 CX-9 last March. Mine's also the Stormy Blue Mica. The color match was perfect. If I remember correctly, I think I measured 11 or 12 inches up from where the black trim meets the metal part of the door. I used blue masking tape to indicate the lines and to make sure I installed the trim straight and level. Once I got over the initial fear of sticking these on my "brand new car", it wasn't too bad...

Looks great. I ordered mine yesterday for my Black Cherry Mica. Hope to get them soon and will post a picture if I can figure out how to.

Happy New Year to all.

Tom

Yes, the directions state that you mount them 12 inches from the black rocker panel. The color matches perfectly.
I just realized, since these will only deflect a door of a certain height, I can mount 5 more in parallel going up the door... and maybe it will look something like a Testerossa!
(Hahaha)

body side molding

I just added the side molding yesterday. Hope the pictures turn out. Also added AWD to the rear.

Tom

Black/cherry mica

Attachments

• Mazda 005 (Medium).jpg
    Mazda 005 (Medium).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 627
  • Mazda 007 (Medium).jpg
    Mazda 007 (Medium).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 567
  • Mazda 001 (Medium).jpg
    Mazda 001 (Medium).jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 548
I just added the side molding yesterday. Hope the pictures turn out. Also added AWD to the rear.

Tom

Black/cherry mica

That looks great Tom, I was wondering what it would look like on the Black Cherry Mica (Radiant Ebony in Aus)......I will need to get a set of mouldings shipped to Australia(drinks)

Back