Another Ipod question? The OEM accessory

sbmrinaldi

:
07 CX9 Grand Touring FWD
for the Ipod is around $160. I ran across the item on a search for CX-9 accessories. It appears to be just a simple cable with the 30 pin connector that goes into the bottom of the Ipod to also charge it.

My question is "does the $160 cable do anything other than just allow the Ipod to charge?" Does it allow you to view the songs on the info screen or use the steering wheel buttoms to control skipping songs, etc. I bought a simple $6.99 cable (shipping included) for a 3ft gold plated 3/8" stereo cable on Ebay that arrived yesterday. It works like a charm. I would like to know what the OEM cable offers?

It depends on what else you have. From what I hear, if you have the nav and Sirius you will need a switch to use the AUX input in the center console. Unfortunately, it is just a 3.5mm phono jack, not the iPod 30 pin. In order to fully utilize the iPod functionality of the iPod module you will have to forego the Sirius and then you will be able to connect to 30 pin on your iPod to a iPod jack in the center console and have control of your iPod from the steering wheel. Unfortunately, the data won't be displayed on the nav screen.. I don't know why and it really gets me heated! I have been looking for an aftermarket switch that will allow me to keep my nav and Sirius and still have full iPod integration. I don't know what i can do about the data on the nav screen. Usually Crutchfield is good about that but the car is too new for them to have it listed entirely. for now i will have the dealer install the OEM switch and utilize the AUX input with ground loop isolation (you'll get a whining noise if you power the iPod from the 12 volt and have it plugged into AUX).

Thoughts?

Craig

I installed the Harman/Kardon Drive+Play (with Crutchfield ground loop isolator) and really like it.

I have a CX-9 AWD GT with Navigation, moonroof/bose. Had the dealer put in the integration module and switching box (i DON'T have sirius) and the iPod charges but doesn't play.

Today at the dealer, they spent a little while trying to figure out why it's not working and came back with the conclusion that it is not possible to use the integrated iPod with the Navigation system whether you have the switching box or not. They said the switching box is ONLY to allow you to use the AUX with Sirius Sat Radio.

Would have been neat to know before i had them install it... anyone else get that setup to work?

That really sucks!
"...it is not possible to use the integrated iPod with the Navigation system whether you have the switching box or not"

What a bummer!!

They're wrong. Talk to another dealer. From all documentation as well as some posts that I'm sure I've seen on this (or the other major mazda forum), the switchbox can be used to enable both Aux port and Satellite radio; or both the iPod integration kit and Satellite radio.

We have it up and running successfully with both Aux port and Sirius, as well as the factory navigation.

We have it up and running successfully with both Aux port and Sirius, as well as the factory navigation.

So you have the CX-9 AWD GT with Bose/Moonroof, touchscreen Navigation, cd changer, Sirius, AND the iPod integration module (and switching box, but that's assumed with sirius)? And they all work correctly? When i told the dealer I had read about others with the navigation + iPod integration module working, they said "no, they're wrong"

On my iPod the Mazda logo shows up and it charges, but i can't switch the cd changer to "EX" as the manual says to do.

No, you're right, my post wasn't clear. I do not have the iPod accessory (and may be corrupting this thread).

My point was that the switchbox will work to enable both Sirius and the iPod accessory, *or* Sirius and the Aux port, on all CX-9's, even those with navigation. We have a CX-9 AWD GT with Bose/Moonroof, Sirius, Navi, CD changer and Aux port all working as expected.

I have an '07 GT AWD with Bose/Moonroof, GT Assist (NAV), no Sirius and I can't get the "Aux" jack to work. If I hit the Media button the screen changes to "Aux", but no sound. Any ideas? Thanks

aciurczak is right.
With the switch box you can have:
Navigation - Sirius & Aux
Navigation - Ipod & Aux

Wait, we're not saying the same thing (but perhaps both of us are correct).

#1 - Sirius + Aux port (confirmed, this is my setup)
#2 - Sirius + iPod adapter (what the dealership led me to believe was possible; you lose either the Aux or the iPod adapter, can't have both)
#3 - iPod + Aux (didn't realize that this was an option, I thought the switchbox was used exclusively to allow Sirius + something else)

(Navi is a non-issue for all 3 configs, it will work no matter what)

hmm, does anyone here have the GT with the navigation AND the iPod integration module working? i have read it is supposed to work in various forums, but nothing from anyone that actually has it.

My CX-9:
GT AWD
Navigation
Bose/cd changer
switching box
ipod integration module
AUX

anyone have this all working and usable (with or without sirius)?

oh - and if anyone has that same setup as i do (but the iPod works) can you post what dealer you got it installed at so i can call them and have them talk to my dealer?

Last edited:
sirius + ipod adapter together at last

well after a long adventure, trying to make sirius and ipod intergration work i found that the dealers are right.
sirius + aux
ipod + aux
can't have both sirius and ipod..........
That was till i modified the switch box to work with both. I have a method of modifing the switch box and allowing you to have both sirius and ipod module..
I even went back to the mazda dealer and showed the parts department manager how it wroked they couldn't believe their eyes and ears... well i now offer the mod for a small fee. You can also contact Dwayne At Wayne Mazda in Wayne, NJ he has seen the mod in action and was so impressed he is sending me all his customers that want it done. So yes you can have the best of both worlds..............................

well after a long adventure, trying to make sirius and ipod intergration work i found that the dealers are right.
So yes you can have the best of both worlds..............................

but you don't have navigation, correct? (we spoke via PM last week)

DOESN'T MATTER THE AUDIO CHANNELS ARE LOCKED FROM FACTORY AND THE AUX IS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS IN THE SECONDARY SLOT BECAUSE WHEN MAZDA BUILT THE SWITCH BOX THEY DIDN'T PUT A SWITCH TO MOVE AUDIO FROM A TO B. i HAVE ALTERED THAT AND IT WILL WORK WITH THE HELP OF TWO EXTERNAL SWITCHES

I installed the Harman/Kardon Drive+Play (with Crutchfield ground loop isolator) and really like it.

Which version? Is this the version which can display the album art as well?

* Note to gojoe1971, would you be able to mod the iPod integration unit or possibly the Navigation video feed to redirect the Drive+Play output to the Navigation screen? That would really be sweet!

Which version? Is this the version which can display the album art as well?

I got the original version, not the new one. It is hardwired, which wasn't a problem for me. I just pulled some panels and routed the wires. The new one uses Bluetooth to communicate between the components. Not sure how that will work with the CX-9's integrated Bluetooth.

Back