Xede Installed on my Speed6 yesterday

jcgemt2003

:
06 speed6
After weeks of waiting I finally got my Xede enginemanagment system. The install took place down at Kens (Protege Garage) soon to be opened new shop in Libertyville,IL. Let me start by saying that never in my life have I had someone go so above and beyond to take care of me as a customer..Ken would not let me leave until he thought that I was satisfied with the install.
We started at 930am on Saturday morining hoping that everything would go off without a hitch and ran into several hurdles during the day. Eric, who did the actual wiring of the system spent countless hours under the dash of my car and did so with such poise and confidence that I must tell you that I was literally speechless. I thought that the frustration of not having the right software, the wrong wiring diagram and the wrong map would push them over the edge but the two of them handled it like true professionals...If I had took this to some other shop they would have never made the effort that Ken and Eric did to get this right.......finally after several (and I do mean several) phone calls to Stephanie at Bell and after her phone calls to Shiv we got everything workn much, much much later that night. We hooked up the lap top and 4 of us went out to see how system would work with a speed 3 base map and BAM!!! this thing was pulln like there was no one in my car! I will never let another speed shop work on my Mazda again. I will admit I was a little worried at first but after I spoke with the two of them and the other MAZDA heads that were there I felt lke I couldnt be in better hands. These guys no more about Mazdas then most people no about pumping gas. For Gods sake the parking lot looked like a Mazda dealership! Everyone that Ken and Eric new in the area who drove a Mazda was there to help out. It was a great feeling to have that much confidence in the people working on my $25,000 car. As soon as we get some dyno time Im sure that Ken will be posting some numbers. We will also be doing some tuning for day to day driving so not every map will be WOT. All in all,
I am completly and utterly satisified!(cabpatch) (cabpatch) (cabpatch) (cabpatch) (dance) (dance) (dance) (group)
DYNOS: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=103642

Last edited:
Glad to hear that everything worked out and excellent to hear the service that you received.

R

I'm glad your install went smoother than mine. Congrats. Maybe this will work out for you better than it did me.

Jason, it was a blast having you there. The best 'first customer' experience i could have hoped for. You're welcome back any time.

Once the wiring diagram and USB/serial/xede issues were worked out, the car really drove very well. it pulls very hard, even with what is basically a lightly modified mazdaspeed3 map, and harder than what it did stock. i didn't want to make too many alterations without a wideband to assist us, but i can tell from the drives that there is room to lean out the map as well as give the turbo some more work to do :D i'm happy with the XMAP software, its pretty straightforward and responsive in what it does. i'm going to check the wastegate wiring as well as the tuning parameters when we get the car back in this week to see what we can do.

wish I could have been there. Sorry i wasnt that much of a help over the phone. I now know what you guys were dealing with though. :(

Hope you like the new car.

Congrats! Cant wait to see your new 1/4 mile times...Wish I could check this car out with the Xede installed. Maybe next time? Could push me into getting one.

Last edited:
Make sure to dyno it with AFR and boost graphing capabillities. Also take a datalog of the ignition timing when you make a full pull.
Mike

XEDE on my speed yanks out some pretty good power right now...we arent able to control the boost yet we are having a wiring issue...but I intalled my wideband and I am running 11.4 AFR at WOT which is much better than the 10.1 I was running...once we ve taken care of the wastegate controll will be making a map for 18psi and one for 20psi. We plan to test the limits of the stock turbo a liitle with the an increase to 20psi because there has been such a debat as to what this tubo can actually handle. Once we ve established that it can or cant handle it I will install the ATP gtr3071 turbo....without a cutout....(if you no what I mean, tuff brake 4drhtrd) Right now with the intake, exhaust, blowoff valve and Xede Im hoping will make some good numbers on the dyno...soon as we have will post.

Sounds great Jason grats and good info on Ken's Garage also. Libertyville is'nt that far from Nashville, TN If I ever need tuning help from some Mazda Pro's.

jason and i keep playing phone tag :) however we've got some more goodies and info to try out on his car this weekend if he has the time...

We finally figured out what the prob was with the boost controll and let me tell you guys this thing is CRAZY FREAKN FAST....I swear I gotta be maken at least another 40whp. But will no for sure on Tuesday evening, we should have some dynos posted for alll of you by the evening.

I wish you guys could have heard Kens voice mail when they got the car working right.

"Oh my f@#$% god this thing pulls like a BEAST"

Did I get that right Ken?

I imagined that video with the japanese guys in the 13B powered Hatchi screaming for their lives.

the looks on jason and ken's faces when they came back from the test drive, omg, little boys in a candy shop.

Jason, your car hauled ass when I rode in it before the Xede worked right and Ken said it's crazy fast now. I'm going to have to see this sometime.

Nutari said:
I wish you guys could have heard Kens voice mail when they got the car working right.

"Oh my f@#$% god this thing pulls like a BEAST"

Did I get that right Ken?

I imagined that video with the japanese guys in the 13B powered Hatchi screaming for their lives.

it wasn't a 13b. they were screamin because it was a 20b (3 rotor 2 liter rotary) engine with a turbo the size of my head attached to it. that's why it accelerated like a spaceship going into hyperspace in starwars.

Back