19" Tires

gen1pro

:
06 Mazdaspeed 6
Well I found some rims and now I'm looking for tires. I remember reading in these threads about load ratings and someone saying that they need to be at 92. I can't seem to find this thread and I did do a search.

I was looking at the BF Goodrich g-force and the Yokahoma Prada Spec tires
215/35R- 19 85Y and 225/35R- 19 88Y for the BF Goodrich. Does anyone have any experience with these two brands of tires?

Just out of curiosity...why would you put 19's on ? You know it will make you car slower dont you...

1killercls said:
Just out of curiosity...why would you put 19's on ? You know it will make you car slower dont you...

I'm not the type of person that races around town...I like a little more show than go if you know what I mean. I know I'll still be happy with the car, after all I was driving a MSP before (big difference).

My 19's weighed less than the 18's and offered me way more traction. Down side is the wheels were MSRP of $800 each or something crazy.

4DRHTRD said:
My 19's weighed less than the 18's and offered me way more traction. Down side is the wheels were MSRP of $800 each or something crazy.

What tires did you use on your 19's?

4DRHTRD said:
Even if they weight less you are still putting the rotating mass further from the center point, this will most likely make them heavier. Check ou the thread on wheel weight and performance. There is a lot of good info in there.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96891

Well since the OD is the same and I'm cutting down on the heaviest part due to sidewall being smaller I think I did fine as compared to stock.
I'm using General UXP's which were well rated and like $98 each for 245/35-19's.

If more of the total weight is at the OD of the wheel it will be harder for the brakes to slow thus making it harder for the car to start. Even if the total weight is less overall.

So let's look at this:
OD of both tires is the SAME
rotating mass from the tire is reduced due to less sidewall, therefore the overall mass at the outside 4" is reduced in comparison and the wheel weighs less.
Tell you what, build a model and compare the two and run a simulation and see the difference. I would bet less than discernable or even none.

4DRHTRD said:
So let's look at this:
OD of both tires is the SAME
rotating mass from the tire is reduced due to less sidewall, therefore the overall mass at the outside 4" is reduced in comparison and the wheel weighs less.
Tell you what, build a model and compare the two and run a simulation and see the difference. I would bet less than discernable or even none.

Wrong. Read the posts on this page...they are spot on.

1killercls said:
Wrong. Read the posts on this page...they are spot on.
Reading the posts on that page, it speaks about reducing the outside diameter, however I am speaking of keeping the same OD as stock and reducing the overall weight in comparison to the stock wheel/tire package.

I only care about the overall look anyhow. If I want to set some records eventually I'll be doing it on drag radials on 17's (only size available) vs my 19's. However the statements you guys are making in comparison of stock 18's vs a good set of same size OD 19's with less unsprung weight is incorrect. Again, I say that you must prove your statement to make it valid. Don't blindly follow previous statements and just say ANY 19" wheel is worse than ANY 18 wheel.

I didn't want people to go all crazy about 19's VS. 18's, I simply wanted the opinion for two types of tires if anyone was using them.

gen1pro said:
I didn't want people to go all crazy about 19's VS. 18's, I simply wanted the opinion for two types of tires if anyone was using them.

You bring up a good point. If anybody really wants to continue this "18 vs. 19" argument we should do it in another thread and let this one get back to what it was started for.

I have experience with the Yokohama brand and the tires were great! WAY better than the bad Toyos that came with my other car.

Also, putting 215s on 19s is probably a bad idea...your car will look like its sitting on biky wheels. For 19s, use 235s or 245s.

That being said. I think yall suck!

4DRHTRD said:
Reading the posts on that page, it speaks about reducing the outside diameter, however I am speaking of keeping the same OD as stock and reducing the overall weight in comparison to the stock wheel/tire package.

I only care about the overall look anyhow. If I want to set some records eventually I'll be doing it on drag radials on 17's (only size available) vs my 19's. However the statements you guys are making in comparison of stock 18's vs a good set of same size OD 19's with less unsprung weight is incorrect. Again, I say that you must prove your statement to make it valid. Don't blindly follow previous statements and just say ANY 19" wheel is worse than ANY 18 wheel.

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96891

4DRHTRD said:

I hear you on the looks 4DRHTRD caluse most of us aren't racing around all the time to make the difference in performance significatnt. This months edition of Sport Compact Car has some good info on this concept. When you keep the OD the same, but have larger rims you are replacing the weight of the rubber with the weight of the metal in the rim and doing so at a distance from the centre of the rim. Since a given weight has an effect that increases exponentially as the distance from the centre of the rim increases linearly you have to have a rim material that weighs less than the rubber it replaces which is a difficult proposition. Then when you add in the idea of rotational inertia larger rims are even less favourable.

Given all this I wonder why Mitsubishi elected to go with larger rims on the new Evo given that it is the performance marque for compact sedans.

R

Back