Walked out on deal for a CX-9 GT

Hello All,

Here is the beef...

CX-9 GT W/Navi Package, 6-CD, Dimming mirror, Mudflaps, Remote Start, Wheel locks for $37.500 - $20,000 for my trade-in = 17,500....

In Galves and KBB My car was worth 22k-23k. I even have remote start on the car which is worth more.

But he wanted to add on fees to the price...

Documentation fee $295.00
Window Etching $189.00

I know Etching a big scam.. and the documentation fee seems a bit steep. My last car I purchase was $189 for the doc fee.. and my inlaws just purchased a car and the documentation fee was the same (3 years later)..

On my last car.. all cars at the dealer had etching but paying for it was an option.. You just got a certificate/registered for paying for etching.

He didn't watch to budge for the doc fee and wanted to make me pay for the etching

Please give me your opinion.. how much was your doc fees and did you guys pay for etching?

Thanks

I don't know any dealers who are using KBB, they all use Manheim auctions which is around 15 to 20% less than KBB.
For fees and etching, I have no clue but when I bought my CX-9 for 34,000 I really did not look to save a couple of hundreds. Just me.

most dealers use galves. none of them look at kbb/edmunds. if you don't want the etching, tell him. they can't force you to add an option you don't want. also, you said you walked away. did he attempt to keep you there, or was he just like **** it and let you leave?

We worked out the deal for 17,500 and 20,000 for my trade-in. Everything was set.. When they started the paperwork, they had already on the paperwork $189 for window etching and $289 for Documentation fees. When I purchase my AcuraTL the documentation fees were 189 (my inlaws just purchased a car (other brand) recently and it was the same price). When I purchase my Acura they had as an option 189 for the window etching. Alot of dealers have that done to all the cars automatically, but usually if you don't want it or pay for it, they just don't register the number or give you the certificate. They just would not take it off or budge on that.

smo0f said:
most dealers use galves. none of them look at kbb/edmunds. if you don't want the etching, tell him. they can't force you to add an option you don't want. also, you said you walked away. did he attempt to keep you there, or was he just like **** it and let you leave?

In NJ they use Galves that I have seen.. It might be different in other areas.. Galves is regional

Grotto said:
I don't know any dealers who are using KBB, they all use Manheim auctions which is around 15 to 20% less than KBB.
For fees and etching, I have no clue but when I bought my CX-9 for 34,000 I really did not look to save a couple of hundreds. Just me.

Sorry to hear you didn't take the deal. Sounded pretty fair to me. What were you trading in and how much did you owe on it? Also, you got more than 20k for it when you figure in the tax savings. I am assuming NJ is the same as ohio. You only pay sales tax on the new car less the trade in?

my dealership uses Manheim (regional here).

KBB is a national average of appraisals and doesnt really work for any one area. your car might sell for 24K somewhere else but only selling for 20k (auction wise) in your area. KBB Is a good estimation but in my experience is generally inflated slightly for most vehicles...

Doc fees vary by dealership and there is no standard. Youll see some for 150 or lower and some for 300 +. What you are paying for is someone to take care of all your paperwork. someone has to handle the paperwork to the bank, file the down payment, handle your tags and registration @ the dmv, and someone to apply for the title. As well as take care of anything else that might crop up to make sure everything is done properly. Everyone has their own idea of fair pricing on that one, but being in the office is one of the most tedious, unfun, thankless jobs in the dealership. I wouldnt want to work the office @ a dealer.

EDIT: In all honesty though, you got a decent discount on the vehicle - actually really good considering its a new vehicle (only been out since feb.) and supply, esp. on GTs w/nav etc., is limited. The window etching I wont speak for... no experience dealing with it...

Last edited:
I didn't own anything on the car.. I owned it... Galves was 22200 for the car and KBB was 21000. I would of been SOSO on paying the documentation fees even tho.. it alot more then other dealers.. I Just didn't want to pay for the window etching.. something I don't need or want...

meinp5 said:
Sorry to hear you didn't take the deal. Sounded pretty fair to me. What were you trading in and how much did you owe on it? Also, you got more than 20k for it when you figure in the tax savings. I am assuming NJ is the same as ohio. You only pay sales tax on the new car less the trade in?

Oh, I understand I have to pay for doc fees, but it's higher then most of the dealers... I was more pissed about having to pay for window etching something I didn't want... It's a scam to jack up there proffits

B1GHAM said:
my dealership uses Manheim (regional here).

KBB is a national average of appraisals and doesnt really work for any one area. your car might sell for 24K somewhere else but only selling for 20k (auction wise) in your area. KBB Is a good estimation but in my experience is generally inflated slightly for most vehicles...

Doc fees vary by dealership and there is no standard. Youll see some for 150 or lower and some for 300 +. What you are paying for is someone to take care of all your paperwork. someone has to handle the paperwork to the bank, file the down payment, handle your tags and registration @ the dmv, and someone to apply for the title. As well as take care of anything else that might crop up to make sure everything is done properly. Everyone has their own idea of fair pricing on that one, but being in the office is one of the most tedious, unfun, thankless jobs in the dealership. I wouldnt want to work the office @ a dealer.

EDIT: In all honesty though, you got a decent discount on the vehicle - actually really good considering its a new vehicle (only been out since feb.) and supply, esp. on GTs w/nav etc., is limited. The window etching I wont speak for... no experience dealing with it...

Whitesnake said:
Oh, I understand I have to pay for doc fees, but it's higher then most of the dealers... I was more pissed about having to pay for window etching something I didn't want... It's a scam to jack up there proffits

tell them if they remove window etching, or reduce the car another 190 youll take it. ball is in your court right now so offer what you think is fair.

just dont go overboard. there is a difference between fair and rediculous :p

I think it's a bit late for that now. I did mention that I will not pay for window etching, and they said sorry, that I have to pay for it .. So that's the main reason I walked out on it. I already have another one lined up, same price at another dealer, e-mailed him asking what other fees are attached to his price, so I don't waist our time.

B1GHAM said:
tell them if they remove window etching, or reduce the car another 190 youll take it. ball is in your court right now so offer what you think is fair.

So on your car, they didn't have window etching ?? or a fee for that?

B1GHAM said:

Whitesnake said:
So on your car, they didn't have window etching ?? or a fee for that?

no car Ive ever purchased/sold has had "window etching"... although my dealer doesnt operate to scam people. We also dont do nitrogen air for $60 or charge for other side items...

CX-9 GT W/Navi Package, 6-CD, Dimming mirror, Mudflaps, Remote Start, Wheel locks

does the car @ the otehr dealer have all the same equipment as this one?

if it doesnt then youre essentially paying the same for a lesser vehicle in which youd still be losing money.

call back, or better yet, walk in and tell them you will sign the paperwork NOW if they cut the 190 for window etching. Pull out your checkbook for effect :p. If they still say no then they really wont budge. Out of curiosity did they explain what/why you are paying 190? did they even tell you what you get for the 190?

The other place was quoting 37775 With added options (then the other deal)Cargo Mat, Cargo Net, Roof Rack.

B1GHAM said:
no car Ive ever purchased/sold has had "window etching"... although my dealer doesnt operate to scam people. We also dont do nitrogen air for $60 or charge for other side items...

does the car @ the otehr dealer have all the same equipment as this one?

if it doesnt then youre essentially paying the same for a lesser vehicle in which youd still be losing money.

call back, or better yet, walk in and tell them you will sign the paperwork NOW if they cut the 190 for window etching. Pull out your checkbook for effect :p. If they still say no then they really wont budge. Out of curiosity did they explain what/why you are paying 190? did they even tell you what you get for the 190?

Back