I think I found my new summer tires!! (Falken Azenis RT-615)

jdub260

:
2007 MAZDASPEED6 Sport
A friend with a subie said these work great on the WRX's for general summer/Auto-X tires. I know I read something somewhere about someone that used them on a MS6 and said they worked great. I was just wondering if anybody else has any pearls of wisdom (reguarding these tires) that they would like to share.

falhza.ang.jpg

http://www.falkentire.com/rt615_sizes.html

I'm looking at the probable size of 225/45R18. I'm lowered with the Autoexe low down springs but from my readings I should be OK with a 225 just not a 235. I found them for ~$135 each I think I will have to make it work.

I was gonna get some Kumho Ecsta SPT's for ~$99 each but the Falken's look like they have a lot more contact patch and they are sticker.

ku_ecsta_spt_ci2_l.jpg

My goal was to get a decent tire for cheap, I know that doesn't exist, but I just plan to burn them down auto-xing this summer so I can't justify dropping $1000 on tires each summer, so the $99 Kumho's looked like they would have to do but I think I'll just have to pony up the extra ~$150 and get the Azenis, unless of coarse someone has something really bad to say about them??

The Azenis' are pretty much the standard non R-compound tire for all the auto-x classes. There may be a better tire - but none come close for the price, and in a full season you can go through a few. The new tread design (in your pic) is better on wet pavement also then the previous generation - still not great, but the old design was pretty much useless in any standing water.

these are the exact 2 tires i'm looking at also. where did you find the azenis for $135 and the kumhos for $99?

1fastMS6 said:
these are the exact 2 tires i'm looking at also. where did you find the azenis for $135 and the kumhos for $99?

I got the information for the Kumhos from tire rack ($99) and vulcan tire($100). for the 225/45R18.

The Falken information came from a friend at the time, and he lied to me. He said that vulcan tire had them for $135 in a 225/45R18. After looking at their site I see they are $159 each for that size but if I step down to a 225/40R18 then I have more options around the $125 each level. The RT-615 specifically is $127 which I think I can swing. and they are load rated 92 and speed rated W so there should not be any problems.

jdub260 said:
I got the information for the Kumhos from tire rack ($99) and vulcan tire($100). for the 225/45R18.

The Falken information came from a friend at the time, and he lied to me. He said that vulcan tire had them for $135 in a 225/45R18. After looking at their site I see they are $159 each for that size but if I step down to a 225/40R18 then I have more options around the $125 each level. The RT-615 specifically is $127 which I think I can swing. and they are load rated 92 and speed rated W so there should not be any problems.

but how much will the speedo be off if you go with 225/40/18?

and just FYI, i have the RT615's (245/40/18!) on my RX-8, excellent street/light track duty hybrid tire, highly recommended :D

About 2% off, I will be going approx 1.2mph slower than the speedo at 60mph. It may be a little more or less depending on the exact profile differences because we all know all 225/40R18 tires are not exactly the same size. BUt they are close.

jdub260 said:

check out www.tires-easy.com

they have the azenis in 235/40/r18 for $135. I know that's not the size you are looking for, but I'm sure they have your size for cheaper than the other sites. It has 99% of the time been cheaper than any other tire site I have found. I've already ordered a set of tires from them and they came quickly. so it's a legit site.

So when you guys say those Azenis are bad in the rain, just how bad are we talking? How would they compare to the Potenza RE750 or the Ecsta MX (I have tons of tires haha).

Last edited:
Overall, I think the 225/40-18 is going to be your best bet, my brother got the 45's for his Altima and they look like truck tires on there! I know when I switch out I'll be getting the 40's.

Does it rain in Michigan? Those Falkins look great for AutoX but I doubt they provide any traction in the rain. Get ready to hydroplane.

chuyler1 said:
Does it rain in Michigan? Those Falkins look great for AutoX but I doubt they provide any traction in the rain. Get ready to hydroplane.

on the contrary, they are excellent in the rain as well, even at highway (60mph+) speed!

Reviews on tirerack by people who own the tires say they aren't good compared to the competition in hydroplane resistance.. but I'm sure they aren't terrible. My Potenza RE750s have been ridiculously good in that regard.

For what it's worth, these are, with out a doubt, the BEST tires I ever had on my 1989 Ford Probe GT.

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2

Have them on 17" white wheels that =should= fit my white MSP6. If they do, they are going on and the stock wheels/tires are going in the garage.

Attachments

• BFGoodrich g-Force TA KDW-2.jpg
    BFGoodrich g-Force TA KDW-2.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 145
Well I pulled the trigger and got the Falken RT-615's today. I got them from vulcan tire for $556 shipped. I will get them in about a week or 2 they said. the size I got is 225/40R18 with a 92 load rating. They recmmend a 7.5" wheel but I'm gonna put them on the stock wheels and they should be fine. I've asked around and everybody says that it will be fine.

falhza.ang.jpg

heh, congrats on the buy, you'll enjoy it thoroughly

mine are already on the wearbars after 20k miles, time for ME to start a 'what tire to buy' thread now lol

they were the RT615's in 245/40/18 (evil)

Last edited:
Back