Dashboard popping noise " FIXED "

Apple Guy

I had a bad popping dashboard noise that got worse when it got cold. They fixed it by oiling the metal clips that hold in the window gasket. The metal clips move enough to make the noise. They fixed it on 1st try.

I gave them the PDF sheet that is floating around this site that says you need to tighten up the dashboard and or the metal brace under the w/wipers. They said nope, we know how to fix it. These clips are in the inside because I had some oil splatter on my dashboard. It has been about 1 month now and "it is fixed!!!!!"

Last edited:
Great to hear there is what sounds like a simple fix... Is this owner doable or does it require some complex interior disassembly to axcess these clips? It would be great to know how to do this in case it comes back down the road...and save dealing with the dealer now, since it is now 50F and has not been happening recently - so I'll probably get that 'could not replicate' answer from them.
Do you have any idea how many and where these clips are? Thanks

hey i have this problem as well! do you have the tsb? my dealer will do all sorts of things to avoid fixing it, and i'd like documentation to bring in for the fix.

I had a bad popping dashboard noise that got worse when it got cold. They fixed it by oiling the metal clips that hold in the window gasket. The metal clips move enough to make the noise. They fixed it on 1st try.

I gave them the PDF sheet that is floating around this site that says you need to tighten up the dashboard and or the metal brace under the w/wipers. They said nope, we know how to fix it. These clips are in the inside because I had some oil splatter on my dashboard. It has been about 1 month now and "it is fixed!!!!!"
I've had a more crackling-like sound from around my windshield for months now (at first only in cold weather, but now, whenever I hit a bump). The car's been back to the dealer several times, and they've tried everything from replacing the clips, to having a glass place re-seal the entire windshield. When it gets really bad, I lean forward to see where it's coming from, and the sound seems to be coming from somewhere around the top of the windshield. Would something as simple as oiling the clips solve my problem, too?

I gotta try this. In cold weather my windshield makes a creaking noise. Between that and the chuck-wagon groaning from the sway bar bushings I'm getting ready to trade this car in.

Could someone explain where to look for these clips? My winshield/dashboard creaks over every bump.

Last edited:
Bump-to the top.
Dealer supposedly fixed this on my 2006 via the TSB re: tightening the cowl fasteners, BUT... my popping noise is back (drivers side lower left corner of the windshield) - from rougher roads and cold weather. Any further ideas or does anyone know where to 'oil' the windshield?
Thanks.

Back