Here's a cool $20 mod

joeboy

:
2010 MS3 CWP
I've been goofing around with the front end of my car for a better appearance. Installed a JDM front lip to level the front bumper with the side sills for a more aggressive look. But owning a black car, the front end was lacking some details to show of the nice lines in the grille and fog lights.

After playing around with red vinyl around the lower grille for a bit of a VW GTI look I decided to try chrome for a bit more of a factory look. I think the results turned out great and it gives the front end some detail that was missing...check it out.

I picked up some chrome door mouldings ($10/pkg - needed 2) to outline the lower grille and the fog light housing. The grille was a bit tricky so I had to cut grooves into the edge of the lattice work so the moulding fit flush (can't even notice it). The fog lights required a bit of hot air to soften the mouldings to make the tight corners but they fit like a charm. Once everything was installed I used a heat gun around the mouldings to activate the glue so things settled well.

I think it gives a great look and some nice contrasting details on a black 5. It will match my summer wheels really well too. Can't wait for it to warm up!!

Attachments

• MY51(SM).jpg
    MY51(SM).jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 579
  • FrontGrille.jpg
    FrontGrille.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 526
  • FrontGrilleProfile.jpg
    FrontGrilleProfile.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 435
  • GrilleCloseUp-1.jpg
    GrilleCloseUp-1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 379
  • ChromeFogLamp.jpg
    ChromeFogLamp.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 443
Wow... looks awesome... I'm gonna try that but it might not show up too much on a white 5....

nice work joeboy... i like the way that came out...

where'd you pick up the mouldings from... canadian tire?

Let us know how it holds up through a car wash?

Last edited:
That looks remarkably good. I see people put that stuff all over their cars, on every edge of every door and all the way around the trunk, and it looks like ass, but the way you've done it looks stock, and is a very nice touch on the front of the 5. :D

da1nonly said:
nice work joeboy... i like the way that came out...

where'd you pick up the mouldings from... canadian tire?

Let us know how it holds up through a car wash?

I picked them up at Part Source because they're thinner and less bulky than the same sized version at Canadian Tire.

Because I have some extra, I went at one of the fog lamps with the pressure washer pretty seriously and they're not going anywhere. I pryed one off to see how easy it was and I needed a plastic bicycle tire lever to get it off. Using the heat gun to set the glue inside is a big part of keeping it's adhearance. I'll see after this winter how well the chrome finish stands up.

I had my car (just washed) parked beside a Honda Odyssey this evening and I came out to see the owner staring at my car. Went I unlocked the remote, he asked if it was my car. Then he asked what a Mazda Premacy was. Apparently he was walking around it, peeking through the tint and trying to figure it out for a while. He said even at night it jumped out at him because it was like a mini minivan next to his. That was pretty cool!

thanks for the info... i'll check out part source....

you actually cut grooves into the grille to fit the moulding... would cutting the grooves into the moulding work too?

I'm really liking you're ride... any other exterior mods planned? did you see spoilers that they're trying to get a GB on the other forums... they look a little big for the mazda5 i was hoping for something closer to the spoiler you photoshopped b4...

I thought about cutting grooves into the moulding but it wouldn't hold it's shape as well and wouldn't look as seamless. I used a fresh xacto blade to make the grille cuts so they're super clean and unnoticeable even if I remove the mouldings.

I'm planning on going with a full body kit but it's just a matter of finding the right one, with the right price. I was going to move ahead with the AutoExe one because I love the bottom lip that extends along the sides but now that I know I have to purchase J-spec front and rear bumpers for compatiblity it's totally out of the question. The DAMD kit is still on my mind....wanna order one with me to save on frieght by vessel? Can be arranged for pick-up at Toronto Port. Importer is www.boom-enterprises.com. Price is $1400CDN incl freight (1 kit).

I actually like the the rear lip that extends along the sides too... that's my favourite... If your getting the DAMD kit... I wouldn't mind buying that front lip you have now (if you're selling it)... I like the DAMD kit but it might be a bit too low and the wifey won't like driving it around if its that low...

Let me know if you decide on a kit and are considereing selling the lip cuz I'm considering ordering the lip from Bayson R ... I'll see what the wifey says about the DAMD kit...

gemino said:
I like the red on black look, gonna try work on mine in a week or so.

Hey, if you go red on black...check out these rims. This would look SO bad ass!!

They're TenzoR Mach 10, 18x7.5 +42

Attachments

• TenzoR-Mach10.JPG
    TenzoR-Mach10.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 138
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 141
Back