FOG LIGHT to HID CONVERSION WALK THROUGH

Rican219

:
MazdaSpeed 6
These are the steps that I used to install my HID kit. There may be some things that I assumed the reader would know how to do.

Difficulty = 4
Tools = Phillips Head Screw Driver, Wire Splices, Wire Snips, Tie wraps, Electrical tape, double sided tape, 6 Pack of beer
Cost = Around $150 Total
O Factor = 5 (Completing this Depending on color chosen) will make your fogs match better with HID headlights.

100_1007.jpg

HID 8K KIT

100_1015.jpg

100_1013.jpg

Driver and Passenger side access points.

Driversideaccess2.jpg

I started on the driver side. Remove the screws and pull the panel back out of the way.

100_1020.jpg

There you should see that back of the fog light.

foctoryplug.jpg

There you will see a tab. Push it in and pull, to unplug the factory bulb. Drink some Beer

100_1022.jpg

With the factory Bulb unplugged twist the bulb to the right and you will feel it unlock. Then pull the bulb out.

100_1025.jpg

As you will see it is an H11 Bulb.

100_1026.jpg

Now remove the H11 Bulb from the HID kit and put it in place of the factory bulb and twist to lock in place. Be careful not to touch it against anything.

100_1034.jpg

After it is in place and locked move over to the passenger side Drink More Beer

100_1033.jpg

Passenger side will be done the same However it is tighter space thanks to the horn and the washer fluid reservoir. What I did was bend the bracket for the horn enough to where I could get my hand in there to work. Unplug the wire from the factory bulb the same way and twist and remove the factory bulb.

100_1032.jpg

Then carefully install the HID bulb. It will be tight spaced but it can be done try not to touch anything. Twist to lock on place.

100_1031.jpg

While in the tight space go ahead and plug in the wires to the Ballast and the HID bulb. I let the ballast rest inside of the bumper. You can use double sided tape to hold it in place if you would like

100_1037.jpg

Also plug the wires in to the Ballast on the drivers side HID bulb and let it rest in the bumper.

100_1036.jpg

NOW Not sure about the kit you may have but Mine required me to run a power cable to the battery and ground a cable also. Then I had on cable that was meant to plug into the factory fog light power plug. Now these did not match so I had to cut the factory plug on the car and the kit and splice those together and used some tape to keep any water out.

Also there was a wire from the HID kit that needs to be run to the passenger side HID bulb. I just ran it underneath the front bumper neatly and out of site unless you are under the car of course.

100_1028.jpg

I put Tape over the Passenger side Factory Fog Light bulb plug to keep water out. There was no use for this plug with this kit.

100_1035.jpg

I zip tied all of the cables to make them look neat and put everything back together.

Finish off the Beer and enjoy your hard work.

Before the install
100_1017.jpg

100_1016.jpg

100_1019.jpg

After the install
100_1061.jpg

100_1060.jpg

100_1063.jpg

And that is it for the install. If you have any questions please let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

SIDE NOTE: It is a lot easier if you pull the front Bumper off. If you know how to do that then this whole walkthrough would be easier to complete. I pulled my bumper off to change the factory HID bulbs for headlamps after my fog light install and realized then how easy it would have been if I would have done that.

GOOD LUCK !!

Attachments

• 100_1102.JPG
    100_1102.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 942
  • 100_1075.JPG
    100_1075.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 807
Last edited:
I just got a kit as well - did you have to bend the silver cover type thing in the fog light housing? It seems that the lights are a bit too long and they cannot be put all the way in due to the metal piece in there.

Dooby said:
I just got a kit as well - did you have to bend the silver cover type thing in the fog light housing? It seems that the lights are a bit too long and they cannot be put all the way in due to the metal piece in there.

Um that is wierd because I did not have that issue mine went straight in with perfect clearance. You sure it's to long because I would think they are all a standard size?

So do you have to have 2 ballasts? One for the fogs and one for the headlights or just one? I have never had Xenons before so I am a newbie.

That was an awesome How to.

I was going to have someone do this for me. However, I think I will now give it a shot.

Thanks!

-- Jeff

I am still confused if you have to duplicate the setup for the headlights for the foglights or if you can hook them up to the ballast you already have?

Talbot said:
I am still confused if you have to duplicate the setup for the headlights for the foglights or if you can hook them up to the ballast you already have?

No the Stock Light on the Mazdaspeed 6 are already HID's.
So if you are wanting the fogs to be HID's and Headlights that are not already then you are talking about 2 sets of Ballasts.

HID vs. Xennon, aren't the main lights on the M6S Xenon? If not what's the difference?

Alright thanks Rican.

Templar said:
HID vs. Xennon, aren't the main lights on the M6S Xenon? If not what's the difference?

There is no difference, HID stands for High Intensity Discharge and Xenon is the gas that ignites the filament in a HID bulb.

What tempeture/color of bulbs did you use ?
the headlights ?
foglights?
high beams ?
the little bulbs ?
thanks Bartosz

Back