racked again

danpaddles

:
still shopping
I read all previously posted about roof racks, I am presently looking at a 5, as well as a Sub. Forester, or maybe an '06 MPV (or.... Kia Sedona if wife gets her way- but this one is MY car).

Factory rack looks inadequate, I need to haul two full size canoes on top, they could go as long as 18 feet, as heavy as 70 lbs. per boat. Need about 6 foot of width, at times. Also nice to toss a bike and one canoe on top at times.

Has anyone here tried to mount Yakima stuff permanently? http://www.yakima.com/ProductCategory.aspx?id=24

I thought maybe a body shop could drop the headliner, find the best spots to bolt on fake rain gutters, or maybe "tracks". Anyone tried that approach yet?

A secondary consideration is, what will happen to the handling with 150 lbs. on top? Is the 5 enough miniminivan to handle it with comfort? Sometimes when I have the heaviest boats on top, I will be on twisty mountain roads. Usually packed to the roof with gear and people.

Of course, 90 percent of the time the car will just be hauling me and 2 kids. I enjoy fun cars. Smaller the better, if it wasn't for kids, dogs, tents, boats, bikes, etc.

Opinions? Other things I may have overlooked?

Thanks!

-Dan

Back