Pirelli P Zero Nero 215/45zr18

d_ragon78

:
Mazdaspeed 6
What do you think is a good all season tire? I have been looking to get new set since the ones that came with my MS6 are performance summer tires. I live in Nebraska and am in real need of traction. I miss driving my car and am thinking about buying a set of Pirelli P Zero Nero 215/45ZR18. What does everyone think?

They work good on the dry and wet pavement. They are much better than the stock tires in the snow but not as good as I'd hoped. For this car you almost have to have a winter set and a summer set. If you live where there's not a lot of snow these will work fine for your winter set. When the pavement gets really cold, < 15F outside, they loose some of their grip and the car will push a little with "spirited" driving. We get snow here is SE lower Michigan but for the whole winter we probably only drive on snow for ~ 10 - 12 days or so. They are fairly quick about getting it cleared off the roads. The stock Potenzas are far better for dry traction in the summer, you'll regret driving on the PZero Neros all year. Get them for winter and keep a seperate set of dedicated tires for summer.

Those are the exact tires I have on my car. Lets just say it like this. I live in Harrisburg, PA, and that "big" snow storm on the East Coast dropped about 4-6 inches of snow and 1-3 inches of ice here. I drove through the snow without issue. I didn't try out ice skating with my car, but I don't expect them to behave any better or worse than any tire on ice, which is pretty bad.

They are low profile, so you can only get away with so much snow. Not much clearance. If that storm were any bigger, my car would have been parked and the wife's SUV would have been out. Other than that, I loved them in this recent snow. I was the only person that made it into work driving a car and not a truck or SUV.

Edit: Oh and what jdub said...two sets of rims are a must. My Pirelli's are on the stock rims and the Potenza's on after markets.

jdub260 said:
They work good on the dry and wet pavement. They are much better than the stock tires in the snow but not as good as I'd hoped. For this car you almost have to have a winter set and a summer set. If you live where there's not a lot of snow these will work fine for your winter set. When the pavement gets really cold, < 15F outside, they loose some of their grip and the car will push a little with "spirited" driving. We get snow here is SE lower Michigan but for the whole winter we probably only drive on snow for ~ 10 - 12 days or so. They are fairly quick about getting it cleared off the roads. The stock Potenzas are far better for dry traction in the summer, you'll regret driving on the PZero Neros all year. Get them for winter and keep a seperate set of dedicated tires for summer.

Excellent post.(first)

Thanks for the input. I can't currently afford a seperate set of wheels for the new tires, so it looks like I will be getting the Pirellis for all year round. Maybe a few months or so down the road I will be able to afford (and convince the wfe) to get another set of wheels. Thanks again

d_ragon78 said:
Thanks for the input. I can't currently afford a seperate set of wheels for the new tires, so it looks like I will be getting the Pirellis for all year round. Maybe a few months or so down the road I will be able to afford (and convince the wfe) to get another set of wheels. Thanks again

Exactly what I did! I couldn't afford new rims so I just bought these Pirelli's and slapped them on the stock rims. The tires are GREAT compared to the stock summer tires in the snow, no comparison what so ever. I posted a few replies in the forums about the handling of these tires and, for me, they are amazing. We just had that storm here also and I went out for a drive and WOW is all I can say. It was difficult for me to get the car to slide (with the DSC on) even when I tried. Now, if there was more then 5 inches of snow on the ground I don't think they would do as good but for me they were a great investment - $125.00 a tire.

d_ragon78 said:
What do you think is a good all season tire? I have been looking to get new set since the ones that came with my MS6 are performance summer tires. I live in Nebraska and am in real need of traction. I miss driving my car and am thinking about buying a set of Pirelli P Zero Nero 215/45ZR18. What does everyone think?

These are the stock tires on my car. I don't like them on wet pavement but that may have to do with the torque to the rear wheels. I store my car, so I can't comment on the snow aspect. Sorry if my post was useless as I have a totally different car. By the way, my tire size is 235/55ZR17.

d_ragon78 said:

And what a great tool having that extra set of tires sitting around are! I pulled mine around 2k miles. All I needed was rims then. The wife eventually had to go for it!

i don't track my car, or auto X....i had dealership put the Pirelli on before handing me the keys on the first day....i drove this thru the recent storm in toronto... i must say, it's better than i expected. I knew
the OEM potenza cannot be driven durin' winter....since this is a lease MS6, i don't wanna invest +$1000 for a set of 18" shoes

yelomp5 said:
i don't track my car, or auto X....i had dealership put the Pirelli on before handing me the keys on the first day....i drove this thru the recent storm in toronto... i must say, it's better than i expected. I knew
the OEM potenza cannot be driven durin' winter....since this is a lease MS6, i don't wanna invest +$1000 for a set of 18" shoes

Yeah, I must say dropping $500 on new tires, plus $90 to mount and balance them 2 days after I bought my car was a slight downer. My wife was "thrilled" to say the least. She was even more "excited" when I mentioned to her that I was gonna buy new rims to put the old tires on so I wouldn't ruin my winter tires. :)

have any of you who have the pirelli's noticed the tires being unbalanced when they are cold. I have them on my speed 3 and for the first couple of minutes at highway speeds the car shakes a little bit, even if I had recently driven the car.

dread said:
have any of you who have the pirelli's noticed the tires being unbalanced when they are cold. I have them on my speed 3 and for the first couple of minutes at highway speeds the car shakes a little bit, even if I had recently driven the car.

No Problems here.

dread said:

YES, I do notice that!! I just chalked it up to the rubber in the tires are not warmed up enough yet which gives a little rougher ride?? Not sure, but when it is below 20 degrees or so it does this for the first mile or two.

good to know i am not the only one. I called tirerack and they said its not normal and I should have the tires checked out.

So far two big snowstorms here on my stock Pirelli's. I would recommend NOT ever driving on them in the snow. My work is very close less than 10 miles and no highway. It was still downright dangerous.

I do notice when they are cold, they are not as sticky. Most likely because they are a summer only tire.

Anything would be better than these for the winter.

Pirellis are fine in winter

I live in Western PA and we recently had a big dump of snow. The Pirellis handled very well on ice and with several inches of snow on the ground. My wife put her Plymouth van in the ditch last Thursday night. I drove the MS6 out to pick her up and didn't have any trouble at all. When I got out of the car, the road had ice with snow on top and was slippery enough that I had trouble standing up with boots on. I will probably sell my stock tires and keep all-seasons year round. That's why I bought an all-wheel-drive, so I don't have to screw around with dedicated snows.

we j/ had a big big storm in Toronto, Canada....
first heavy snow, then freezing rain...
i'm still runnin' the Pirelli's...and no problem...

i guess maybe it's not the tire that is bad...
it's the AWD system on MS6 that is good.....
guess that is y, us the ppl w/ MS6+Pirelli has no problem....
FWD+Pirelli = no good....?

Afroman said:
So far two big snowstorms here on my stock Pirelli's. I would recommend NOT ever driving on them in the snow. My work is very close less than 10 miles and no highway. It was still downright dangerous.

I do notice when they are cold, they are not as sticky. Most likely because they are a summer only tire.

Anything would be better than these for the winter.

Well yeah, summer only tires mean just that. The compound they are made out of freezes, so they also suck when it's just cold and dry out. There is no substitue for them when it's warm out though. They aren't the tire talked about in this thread however.

Back