Speed3 Shorten shifter travel

Rotus8

:
07 MS3
Today I modified my shifter for shorter travel. On the Speed3, the way the shifter is built the cable attachment is about as high as you can make it without interfering with the console and making a bump in the boot. So the alternative is to shorten the lever on the transmission. This is not for the faint of heart! It requires a significant, but not difficult, disassembly of the transmission. It's not really very hard but does require a few tools. It took me a couple of hours. I suggest carefully reading through the whole thing before starting to be sure you have all the tools and materials and are sure you want to do it. I take no responsibility for munched parts or disabled cars. Here goes.

First, remove the intercooler cover, 2 bolts, to improve access. Now remove the air box. To remove the air box, remove the MAF cable connector by pushing the release down and pull. Loosen the clamp on the big rubber hose on the air box lid, release the two lid catches, and remove the lid, twisting a bit to get the rubber hose to let go. Remove the filter. Remove the bottom part of the box by releasing the rubber loop on the passenger side and releasing the rubber mount on the driver's side - you pull the white plastic clip out then slide the rubber towards the back of the car. You can now remove the box by pulling hard to release two rubber mounts on the bottom. The transmission shift linkage is now revealed and looks like this.
2j48to7.jpg

Pop off the two cable ends with a couple of screwdrivers.
2dqips9.jpg

Shift the transmission through all seven gears to famailarize yourself with how it works. You can move the big weight forward and back, and lift up or push down on the main pivot. It goes up one step, and down two steps with the last one for reverse.

This is the point to stop if you are not sure of yourself. After this you start to take apart the real bits that could be difficult if you make a mistake. You have been warned.

Remove this bolt. This picture shows it after a couple of steps but it is best to do it now. This is a funny bolt with a pin sticking out that is the shifter guide.
2lwpqhl.jpg

Remove the two bolts that hold the shifter cross bell crank onto the transmission. Remove the bell crank - keep it clean, it's kind of greasy.
4hk3oqu.jpg

Remove the three remaining bolts that hold the shifter in. Pull the shifter mechanism out. You may have to tap on it a bit to break the sealant free. Also, you have to wiggle it around a bit to get it out, but it will come. It will be a bit drippy so have a rag handy to avoid slopping transmision oil around.
2hf4ec3.jpg

You should now see this (Eek!). Don't drop anything in the hole!
42wrqlt.jpg

This is the shifter mechanism.
3zksj8i.jpg

Wrap the shifter mechanism in a plastic bag with the lever sticking out so it doesn't get crap in it. Close up the end with some tape.
4dpckk3.jpg

Here's the part of the lever we are going to modify. The idea is to move the ball where the cable attaches, closer to the main pivot, making the amount of cable movement required less to make it shift. Remove the big weight with two bolts - remember where it goes so you can put it back later.
44i7d5w.jpg

Put the lever in a vise.
2zjhohh.jpg

and grind off the peened end of the pivot ball.
48odrwg.jpg

Use a hammer and punch and drive the pivot ball out of the lever.
3yg26g7.jpg

Drill a hole for the new position of the pivot ball. Use a letter size drill, size "O". The size of the hole is important so only use this size drill and be sure it is in good condition and sharp. Position the center of the hole at the edge of the mark where the original pivot base was, and just far enough away from the edge so there is no possibility of the hole breaking out. The hole should be about 1.8" away from the main pivot. This gives about a 20% reduction in throw. Center punch and carefully drill. Chamfer the top of the hole slightly.

[Edit: After living with the modification for a week, I think putting this hole closer to the middle of the lever might be a good idea. Where I put the hole, the neutral position of the shifter is a bit to the rear of center so a bit more forward won't hurt unless you have really short arms :). Putting the hole further away from the edge would be a little stronger.]
2ev94c4.jpg

Clean up the nub on the bottom of the pivot ball. Drill and tap the nub for a #10-32 screw. Drill with a #21 drill, about 3/4" deep.
3y78mt4.jpg

Insert the pivot ball into the new hole. The letter O drill will result in a slight interference fit so it will have to be pressed into the hole. It can be done in a vice if you are careful.
4c7z4f9.jpg

Put some loctite on a #10-32 1/2" long screw with a washer and screw it into the back of the ball mount to be sure it never comes out.
48qu3gm.jpg

Put the big weight back on the end of the shifter lever. Remove the plastic bag from the shifter mechanism. Clean up the surfaces on the bottom of the shifter cap and the mating transmission surface. Smear on a thin layer of high temperature silicone.
2rxv72r.jpg

Jocky the shifter back into the transmission. It will require a bit of jiggling and fiddling, but it will go in. Put in the three bolts you removed last with some loctite. Verify that you can shift the transmission by moving the lever like you did before taking it apart. You should be able to shift to all seven positions of the pattern. If it won't, take out the bolts and try again. (When I did it, it went right in and there didn't seem to be any way to get it wrong, but I am sure it is possible.)
3zhrt4k.jpg

Put the bell crank back and install the last two bolts with loctite.
4bjnwnc.jpg

Attach the cables by pushing them onto their respective balls.

Put the guide pin bolt back in; use some thread sealant on it because it threads into the oily part of the transmission. You don't have to make it super tight, it isn't holding anything but just has to stay there.

Reassemble the air box and intercooler cover and you are done.

By the way, if you hate the way it feels, it is reversable. Take it all apart, push the pivot ball out after removing the screw and press it back into the original hole and replace the screw.

[Edit: If you like the way it feels after driving it for a few weeks, you could pull it out and weld the pivot ball to the lever. This will alleviate any fear that it will come apart.]

Last edited:
dread said:
Nice write up and you have some balls for attempting this but I don't see how this shortens throws
Since the cable attachment point is closer to the shifter pivot, it takes less cable movement for the same swing of the lever. Less cable movement translates to less shifter movement.

dread said:
Nice write up and you have some balls for attempting this but I don't see how this shortens throws

I agree, he does have balls trying this w/a new car, but it is a very nice write-up.
Rotus, you trying to take the beansoldiers place?? (rlaugh)

dread,
I see exactly how it shortens the throw. By moving the cable ball mount closer to the internal linkage it's moving, you are reducing the travel it has to make. Think of the lever's movement as a circle. The tighter you make a circle, the faster around the circumference it can go. You are also reducing the mechanical advantage @ the shift lever, but w/one comes the other. It's the nature of physics.
Short throw shifters do exactly the same thing only from the other end.

My big concern here is how close the new hole is to the edge of the lever. It looks like some overzealous shifting could cause it to crack and/or break? If not right away, @ least over time. Also, how many ppl have number/letter drill bits in their tool boxes?
None the less, nice write up and well thought out. My congrats, Rotus!!

bbrich57 said:
My big concern here is how close the new hole is to the edge of the lever. It looks like some overzealous shifting could cause it to crack and/or break? If not right away, @ least over time.
I thought about the strength part and the lever is quite beefy, about 1/4" thick steel. The ball mount has a large integrated washer, plus the washer and screw on the back helps distribute the force over a large area of the lefer. Moving the hole closer to the middle of the lever doesn't change the strength significantly, but moves the shifter handle further back which seemed to me not what I wanted. Time will tell.

Well, one might do a little home case hardening, if one has an oxy/Acetylene torch. WhaddoUthink? Would that help or make it worse?

it doesn't look much closer to me that is why i don't see why it shortens throws. I agree that it is very close to the edge of the metal and would be concerned.

dread said:
it doesn't look much closer to me that is why i don't see why it shortens throws. I agree that it is very close to the edge of the metal and would be concerned.
Well, it is a bit more than 20% closer, which makes the throw 20% shorter. I must say driving it, it makes all the difference. With trans mount and solid shifter bushings, the shifts are nice and positive, just too long. Now it feels right to me. Dropping the knob down an inch or so would make it really short, but I suspect it would be too stiff. It's largely a matter of taste. I am going to drive it this way for a while before changing anything more.

I don't think there will be a strength problem, but I will keep an eye on it and if it looks like it's moving or loosening up, a couple of tack welds will solve it. Makes it harder to undo though. When I get used to it if I decide it is really right, I'll probably weld it up anyway, just to make sure there are no problems.

So were you in the shower one day and think this up? Looks like a good idea, I wonder why mazda wouldnt just do that from the get go?

Does it feel notchier than before? coming from a p5 and having a SS on it, I got over how notchy it could be at times, and have put up with the stock shifter on the 3 for a year now just so I dont have to deal with that feeling.. ..

I agree that even w/my TWM SS and solid bushings the shift feels too long.
What we need is a progessive shifter... WRC style. Now THAT would be cool, IMO.
Ninj, this guys is a racer (see his Lotus7) and I suspect is used to thinking in these terms... cheaper, better mods, a little at a time.

WetsuitxNinja said:
So were you in the shower one day and think this up? Looks like a good idea, I wonder why mazda wouldnt just do that from the get go?

Does it feel notchier than before? coming from a p5 and having a SS on it, I got over how notchy it could be at times, and have put up with the stock shifter on the 3 for a year now just so I dont have to deal with that feeling.. ..
It is a bit notchy, but it's supposed to feel like a sport's car - at least mine is. Ever driven a Ferrari? This is pure butter by comparison.

Anyway, after living with it for a week, I really like it. I think it would be OK to move that hole closer to the middle of the lever as the stick position in neutral is a bit to the rear of center. If anyone else wants to try this I suggest doing that if you are worried about the strength issue.

You are a brave..brave man,two thumbs up for the man with the big balls.(thumb) (thumb)

Great write up...

I Modified the opposite end of the shifter linkage...
While I was modifying mine, I thought about doing it the way you did, but I figured my way would be easier :)

Yours is ultimately better though. By moving the linkage on the shifter itself, it does touch the shifter boot. Not enough to cause concern for me..

Either way.... great write up...

Oh, and mine is a just 3 sport... not a speed3 :(

Attachments

• shifter1.jpg
    shifter1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 832
  • shift2.jpg
    shift2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 852
djltoronto said:
Yours is ultimately better though. By moving the linkage on the shifter itself, it does touch the shifter boot. Not enough to cause concern for me..

Oh, and mine is a just 3 sport... not a speed3 :(
Thanks for the compliment. I read your post carefully before starting mine, thinking I might do something similar. It looks like a good job. On the speed3, the cable attachment on the shifter is already higher than the one on the 3 sport so raising it much at all is not really an option. It is already pretty close to the bend in the stick and the boot. You can easily feel the cable through the boot. There are also some additional pieces having to do with the reverse lockout mechanism that makes this kind of mod difficult.

I suspect that is why TWM hasn't come out with a speed3 shifter yet. I'll be interested to see how they solve this.

I don't own a speed either, but +1 to TWM.
Very clever, Rotus. I like... especially when drilling the new hole closer the the middle.
IYO, could the feel be made less notchy by adding additional weight to the end... more counter-ballast?

bbrich57 said:
I don't own a speed either, but +1 to TWM.
Very clever, Rotus. I like... especially when drilling the new hole closer the the middle.
IYO, could the feel be made less notchy by adding additional weight to the end... more counter-ballast?
I have been considering playing with the weight. First I thought I might remove it and see what it feels like. The inerta slows down the shift but helps smooth through the rough spots. It is an easy thing to play with - pull the air box out and there it is. Adding weight temporarily with duct tape & tie wraps is good enough for experimentation.

Is the tranny shift likage on the 5-speed similar to the 6? Just curious.

Hmmm this seems to be a great mod. I need my shifts a bit stiffer and shorter.

Just not sure what my dad is going to say when I start pulling things out of the tranny, start drilling and replacing things!!! He doesn't agree to mod's on brand new cars!! (I bought this car from my hard earned money, maybe thats why hes worried?!)

Anyone here wanna talk to my dad?!!!!

Rotus8 said:
Is the tranny shift likage on the 5-speed similar to the 6? Just curious.

I'm not sure I can answer that intelligently w/o tearing out my airbox, but I think it is similar. Not sure about the weight though.
Removing it will probably make the shifts more difficult and notchy, as you indicate.
I think overcoming a little more inertia would be easier and the lesser of two evils.
You seem to know as well as I do... every thing you do has alternate effects, some good and some not so good.

Back