Comparison of Sport and Grand Touring interiors

P5w3kids

:
2003 P5
When I first sat in the new Mazda CX-9, I was impressed by the upscale ambiance of the interior. Then I test drove one, and it didnt measure up to my expectations.

I later realized that the trim level had made a big difference. The Grand Touring simply feels much nicer inside than the Sport. Which perhaps it should, given the higher price, but still.

When at the Chicago auto show for the press days I went back and forth between the two and snapped some photos. The write-up in my blog:

http://www.truedelta.com/blog/?p=43

I'll apologize for the title in advance.

What do other people think about the differences between the trim levels?

<What do other people think about the differences between the trim levels?>

We drove a CX-9 GT yesterday and loved everything about the car including brakes, power, space, handling and the interior. It was the Sand Leather. I thought the interior was very well thought out and ergonomically everything fit and was within easy reach. The center console and armrest were high, which we liked. The seating position fit me perfectly (6'-250#) and my wife was able to adjust a comfortable position for her. The memory seats are awesome. Fit and finish was excellent! We absolutely love this car and ordered a Galaxy Gray with Sand Leather, towing package and rear cargo cover. We didn't want a sunroof or rear entertainment system. I'm going to swap out the radio/CD for a Pioneer AVIC-z2 Nav/audio system when they become available in April. No negatives about this car in our eyes!

I felt the sport interior was very basic and not real impressed for a $30k car. I then had a chance to sit in the GT and really liked the vehicle. To me it made a world of difference and I am now in the market for a GT.

What do you think of the Touring version?...

Does anyone know about the quality and durability of Mazda?.. I've been a fan of honda's for a while.. I used to have 3 fords.. but it can't compare to a honda.

Thanks

One of the reasons why I don't want the GT is because of the headlights. I had an ACuraCL with HID.. Someone riped it off my car!!!... just like the nissans at one time.. There will be a market for the HID's.. people will rip them out and put it on there Touring and Sports LOL

I have not had a chance to see the interior of the Touring model, but it should be comparible to the GT. I think the leather is the same, it just is the accents that change (I think).

Whitesnake said:
One of the reasons why I don't want the GT is because of the headlights. I had an ACuraCL with HID.. Someone riped it off my car!!!... just like the nissans at one time.. There will be a market for the HID's.. people will rip them out and put it on there Touring and Sports LOL

I did see the 'LOL' but just wanted to go into this anyways.

While this may not be much consolation (since you experienced it personally), automakers have learned from those thefts and it's nowhere near the nice modular HID swap these days as it was with the early Acura's and Nissan's.

So theft of OEM HID is no longer a concern.

Good to know on the HID theft. The price of the part is probably also coming down with volume, which will reduce demand for stolen parts.

On the Touring interior, does it have the wood? As I say in my piece, the fake wood really helps this interior.

Back