Detailing tips for DIY

ChadSpeed

:
Mazda 5 Touring
I used to detail professionaly, but not enough money in it, so now I do it on the side and of course all my own cars so here are a few tips from my experience.

1. Always use a 100% pure carnuba hard paste wax, not anything like the the running paste of Turtle wax, its more like a bar of soap consitency.

2. If you have a dark color use a Chamois to dry it off, if its light a soft towel will do just fine.

3. If you can find a good wash n wax soap use it, it helps maintain the wax that you have already put on the car. I use one from Malco, but I have acces to the dealer, most don't. I did like the Meguires Gold Class car shampoo for washing, but its not wash n wax.

4. If you have bugs on your car the safest way to remove them is using a bug sponge that is soft to the touch, always wet it down good first. I take a bit of my wash nwax and mix it in a spray bottle with water and after rinsing the front end off spray it on then scrub. This also works great for the wheels, just use a different bug sponge. Also if wheels permit than clean the backside as well.

5. After drying always wipe out your door jambs, it looks nice when your entire vehicle is clean and they won't get really bad dirty either.

6. Use Dupont Teflon's interior dressing if you want to protect the plastics, it is water based and smells great, and isn't overly shiney or greasey.

7. Also use Dupont Teflon's tire dressing, again water based and dosn't sling off the tires and on to teh paint. Always use a tire applicator, either a foam wax pad, or specific tire shaped foam applicator, to apply the tire dressing by spraying a few sprays on the applicator and then wipeing the tire with it. You will have to move the car to do the bottom of the sidewall but it is better than spraying directly on your tires because once dressing hits your wheels it will begin attracting lots of brake dust and you wheels will turn black from it. Nothing worse tha a clean car with brake dust all over the wheels.

Any questions or comments, post or PM me. I hope this enlightens some of you and makes you 5s look great.

Just waxed it for the first time today, and I gotta tell you that you will need access to an aircompressor and air gun to get all the water out of the cracks. That or let it sit overnight. It holds a ton of water in all its cracks and creases, took awhile to blow it all out, but looked really good when I was done, but more snow is on the way, Damn.

Well, you don't have to use a carnuba wax at all. Unless you mean to say if you use a carnuba wax make sure it's 100% pure. I use Zaino products to wax my 5.

Yea your right, its just that having years of experience, most of the products you get in stores are garbage, the waxes always, have"cleaners or brighteners" in them and if all you need to do is protect the finish a 100% Carnuba will do the job. The difference is it dosn't really change the look of your paint, thats what polish is for. I have heard great things about Zbros from other people, is it liquid or paste, or hard paste wax? I prefer hard paste because you don't end up with to much wax on the pad and get none in your panel gaps, less work same great result.

Just to add one step. CLAY!!! If you have anything other than a pristine surface, go to an automotive detailing supplier and pick up some paint cleaning clay. You will be amazed at the difference in the feel of your paints surface, and it will greatly enhance the durability of any paint protection that you apply. The theory is that the clay removes surface contaminants that other products leave on the paint. With these contaminants removed, the protectant is then applied directly to the paint, not to the contaminant. I have been using the clay from Griots Garage for about seven years now and I couldn't be happier. Even with the road salt etc... that we have here in Michigan I can usually get a full year out of a wax job with minimal loss in water beading or shine.

Also, if you ever have an "accident" where some paint or other type of hardended overspray ends up on your paints surface (ie my neighbor who sprayed urethane on some closet doors in his garage and then pulled his wife's Solara into the garage about 30 minutes later only to have it coated in a whole bunch of little urethane pin sized dots) the clay will remove these too. :)

3. If you can find a good wash n wax soap use it, it helps maintain the wax that you have already put on the car. I use one from Malco, but I have acces to the dealer, most don't. I did like the Meguires Gold Class car shampoo for washing, but its not wash n wax.

Meguiars gold class is an excellent car shampoo, just make sure you buy it directly from Meguiars in the gallon container, you pay like $10.00 for a gallon versus $8.00 for the 36oz container.

opus said:

Meguiars gold class is an excellent car shampoo, just make sure you buy it directly from Meguiars in the gallon container, you pay like $10.00 for a gallon versus $8.00 for the 36oz container.

Good point about the clay, I saw some in Advance Aotparts teh other day so its finnaly trickling down to regular consumers.

Back