FOG light MOD for the Speed6

ChicagoKid

:
06 Speed6 & 06 FX35
FOG light MOD for the Speed6 - PICS

Drew from Mazda6 club wrote this and it works for the 06 U.S. Speed6 too.
I just did it tonight and it was a cake to do. MAKE SURE you follow his direction to a 'T'.

THE MOD...
This modification disconnects the control of the fog light relay from the headlight relay's switch, and instead connects it to the relay that controls the taillights, parking lights, side markers, and license plate lights. This way, the auto-off feature will still work, and you won't get caught leaving the fog lights on. The fog lights will now be controllable when only the parking lights are on. YEAH!!!!

Ok, now here's my handy-dandy picture. I only took one after I finished the job, but I circled and color-coded everything of interest, so it should be sufficient.

Here are the steps involved:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. This time it's for real!

2. Disconnect the 2 nuts I've circled in cyan, and remove the 2 terminals from their studs.

3. Detach the wiring harness on the left from the fuse panel. I circled in yellow where it's attached. It can be jiggled free from there. Don't bother disconnecting the connector...that won't help. It's the wires underneath this harness that are holding the panel in the box.

4. Loosen the 4 clips circled in green and lift the fuse panel free of the box. I also had to cut some tape near where I've indicated in orange (edit: I marked the orange area to the left of where I should have...the tape is where the bundle of wires comes in just beneath the main fuse between those two terminals you removed) in order to lift it completely. Once you take these steps, there will still be a whole bunch of wires holding the fuse panel down, but it should now be free enough to do what we need.

5. You need to locate the wire that energizes the fog light relay coil. This is the terminal indicated as white on the fog light relay, which is indicated as red in my picture (Seed6 is ON THE LOWER RIGHT). Locate this wire underneath the fuse panel. It was a solid pale green color in my car (also on a 2006 U.S. Speed6).

6. Once you locate the proper wire, follow it as far from the relay as you can, and cut it. You need to keep enough length to complete the modification. The wire should eventually lead back into the panel to another relay, but I couldn't trace it that far...it was stuck in a bundle with piece of tape, but I still had enough length. Tape the free end closed, because it will still be energized whenever your headlights are on and high-beams are off.

7. Route this wire over to the top of the panel to the taillight relay indicated in blue. The 'white' terminal is where it needs to go. You can see the wire in my picture if you look closely. I just stripped the end and stuffed it in the appropriate socket before re-inserting the relay.

8. Reassemble everything in the reverse order...you're done. Now test the modification.

One more thing...don't go thinking you can just run a wire between these two relays in order to avoid disconnecting the panel. If you don't cut the existing wire, you will create a short whenever you turn on the high-beams.

Don't go cutting wires if you're unsure about something.

The only difference is that our Fog Relay is not where the regular 6's have theirs. Ours is on the lower right, next to the two terminals he circled in cyan. When you open the fuse box, you'll see the diagram where our fog relay is. The procedures are the same...

Attachments

• fuse_box.jpg
    fuse_box.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 8,012
  • PIAA fog light mod.JPG
    PIAA fog light mod.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 675
Last edited:
nice writeup.. been meanin to this but im afraid of burnin out the fogs quicker..
as a habit ive been running parking lights as my drl..

is there a mod for the fog lights where you can just turn them on and off, reguardless which option the regular lights are on.... either parking lights or headlights?? I think that would be so much better. That way if you want them on, u can just turn them on! and vise versa

Nice....

I did this a long time ago in my P5 and had been looking for a way to do this on the Speed 6.

I'll have to give it a try.

Latest posts

Back