Block Heater

smmra

Does anyone know how difficult it would be to install a block heater? Where on the engine does the element fit into? I am not sure how much Mazda would want for the part (without install) - or would it better to have them install it? It has been so damn cold lately that the remote starter has a hard time in the mornings.

Have the dealer do the install so that you don't screw up anything warranty-related. I got miune installed by the dealer and it's certainly a saving grace given how cold it's been lately.

Most block heaters install in place of a freeze plug in the block. Easy to install but a PITA to get to I would imagine.

Best bet really is the dealer just for any warranty concerns later. Otherwise, I think most dealer are full of retards. However, they ARE good at changing parts.

antlind said:
Have the dealer do the install so that you don't screw up anything warranty-related. I got miune installed by the dealer and it's certainly a saving grace given how cold it's been lately.

How much did the parts and labour cost?

Thanks

a block heater for most mazda cars usually goes for around 40-50$,its not an expensive part,and figure about an hour of labor to put it in...they probably have a flat rate price for the job,like part and labor included in one amount,but dont get screwed,it dosent take more than an hour to install,even when they are difficult to put in...

hope this help....

just as an example,i bought one for my protege,41.99$,installed it myself,took me about half an hour.....

Last edited:
canadianexpress said:
How much did the parts and labour cost?

Thanks
I got mine installed as part of the purchase package. The Block heater and the sunroof deflector were thrown in my the dealer when I bought the car.
I imagine the average cost to install would be $150 (CDN) max.

It's best to put it on a timer, block heaters can draw a serious amount of juice. Have it timed to come on 2 hours b4 you normally leave in the morning.

Back