Drove and reviewed CX-9; wish windshield weren't so raked

P5w3kids

:
2003 P5
I drove the new Mazda CX-9 yesterday, unfortunately in Sport FWD trim. My initial impression wasn't especially positive. I don't care for the driving position or exterior styling, and the handling seemed very competent rather than enjoyable. The interior of the Sport also doesn't seem nearly as nice as that in the Grand Touring at the auto show, but I suppose this is to be expected.

No doubt others will have different expectations and impressions than I have. Many people were test driving the CX-9 yesterday despite the very cold temps. If the price isn't an issue, I think it'll sell well.

My full review:
Mazda CX-9 review

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review.

I think you hit the nail on the head in many aspects. The most important being that you should load it up, or go home, it really is at it's best when fully loaded. And second being, can you justify the price of a fully loaded GT versus the fully loaded competition with established reputations and high resale values. If I'm really honest with myself I'd be gambling on a CX-9 whereas I have a sure thing with the competition.

I must admit I was initially attracted to the CX-9 by the fresh cross-over approach to styling but I think, for me, it would have been better to stray more towards it's truck roots for styling.

satwar said:
I must admit I was initially attracted to the CX-9 by the fresh cross-over approach to styling but I think, for me, it would have been better to stray more towards it's truck roots for styling.

Truck roots? Isn't the awd system from the MS6?...and the chassis?

Mazda's "zoom zoom" styling has nothing to do with trucks.

I think the CX-9 is basically for the Mazda enthusiast who has a family and or desires a larger yet sporty crossover. I think the styling is very refreshing and elegant for a CUV.

Let's see what the market thinks...

I kinda like the cx9and planning on taking a good look at it to replace my 98 mpvES. Im not sure where to look for for the established competition for the reason that not all company puts out the suv or cross over that has 7 seats. Price wise i think its ok for the things you will get from the model line up. Which comapny has 7 seater? toyota has the 4runner i think. But im sure that run like a truck and you will be tossed int here especially at the third row area. Nissan?, same thing with xterra. hmmm The only thing I think closer is the pilot. But with almost thesame price and the cx9 is way better with its style cues and ergonomics compare to the pilot design. Plus the hand down engine from pilot versus the new design engine. The only thing I Can see closer to the cx9 are those european 7 seater. But then again the price is gonna be a big factor. Just my 2 cents

from my experience of driving crossovers, which is kind of limited, i can say that the saturn vue redline is pretty f'n impressive. awesome acceleration from a stop, and incredible handling equivalent if not better than that of the MSP. feels more like a sedan than it does an suv

The Saturn Redline has better handling than a Mazdaspeed Protege?

(boom01)

Antoine said:
Truck roots? Isn't the awd system from the MS6?...and the chassis?

Mazda's "zoom zoom" styling has nothing to do with trucks.

I guess what I really meant to say is that the CX-9 styling is tending towards the station wagon on stilts look for me. It certainly got my attention, but not quite like the Murano when it first came out. Not that I like the Murano that much, but the body styling was more truck like and appealing to me. Variety and choice is nice.

You may be alone in that impression.

My review of the VUE RL is near the bottom of this page:

http://www.epinions.com/content_120688578180

Hate the steering.

Seven-seat crossovers:
Saturn Outlook
GMC Acadia
Ford Freestyle, soon to be Taurus X
Chrysler Pacifica
Toyota Highlander
Hyundai Veracruz (later this year)
Honda Pilot (though more an SUV)
Suzuki XL7

smo0f said:
I would say so.

you sure you DROVE your MSP faster than 10 mph?? (boom07)

I liked it... especially driving the new tahoe and the CX9 backtoback...

lots of features, competant suspension, gives you confidence in the turns. Has enough power to satisfy most SUV buyers. plenty of room in the third row (hell I sat in the back comfortably) AWESOME Bose sound system (and thats saying alot, I hate bose). Bluetooth is a nice touch, nav is easy to use...

it also doesnt FEEL like a huge SUV. Oh and it looks better (subjective, I know) than any of the competition at this point...

Yeah, it doesnt have a track record as of yet, but as a brand - Mazda has been great. How many people here run their proteges and 626's into the ground? I havent seen a big enough brand flaw to say that this car wont stand the test of time, ford engine or not.

so you go ahead and get that fully loaded MDX for about 10-15k more, or hell buy that Chevy Tahoe fully loaded @ 61k... Ill take the CX9 @ 39k TOPS, enjoy my driving, and still have a Mazda...

spike blue said:
the cx-9 GT is like $33k not $39k

cx-9 GT starts @ 34470 (in my area) with destination charge..

the quoted 39k was for a fully loaded GT with all factory option packages (minus acessory packages) so you are right, but so was I :p

Why a CX-9?

If all I was interested in was a great driving experience would this be how I spent my 35-40K? Probably not.

But the real world intrudes, and I find myself wanting a good driving experience, along with a car big enough to hold me, my wife, my three kids, groceries and other stuff.

The CX-9 is a great compromise for me, it's much more interesting to drive than a similarly priced Minivan (around ~40 for a leather/NAV/entertainment/AWD Sienna or Odysey (no AWD)), and it's third row is much more useful than most crossover's (we tried to fit my 5"2 ten year older in the third row of the pilot and MDX, hilarity ensued).

If I wasn't concerned about the third row viability I'd probably pony up the added 6-8K for an MDX with NAV+DVD, I'd probably buy an MDX (although it wasn't as fun to drive, we loved the interior and the power).

As it is, I think the CX-9 is benefitting from good positioning. When the new Highlander and other crossovers with captains in the second rows (creating at least one good seat in the third row assuming no console) get more common we will see how it stacks up.

Meanwhile I pick up mine this weekend (attn) (Galaxy Blue/Sand Leather GT with NAV + moonroof, I don't like how they designed the factory DVD to only work without the moonroof, it feels like a dungeon in the back without the moon roof)

P5w3kids said:
I drove the new Mazda CX-9 yesterday, unfortunately in Sport FWD trim. My initial impression wasn't especially positive. I don't care for the driving position or exterior styling, and the handling seemed very competent rather than enjoyable. The interior of the Sport also doesn't seem nearly as nice as that in the Grand Touring at the auto show, but I suppose this is to be expected.

No doubt others will have different expectations and impressions than I have. Many people were test driving the CX-9 yesterday despite the very cold temps. If the price isn't an issue, I think it'll sell well.

My full review:
Mazda CX-9 review

To add my two cents. I leased a GT (liquid platinum with black int., no NAV but Bose and Moonroof) not because of the third row but because I needed something comfortable, fun to drive, with enough space to be able to use it for business and with a reasonable mileage. I have to say that after the MB ML500 I am impressed buy Mazda. Almost the same amenities and drive for half the price.
I test drove the X3 (too small and rough), the Cayenne 6 cyl (underpowered and thirsty), Audi q7 (same as the Cayenne but much nicer interior) and the Lexus Rx350 (boring). The Mazda, so far, seems like the perfect compromise.

Sounds like most people are getting the leather. I went back and forth between the two at the Chicago show. The interior trim certainly makes a difference.

Back