Hub or Lug -centric rims on MZ5?

Lazy Glen

:
'07 Mazda5, Steller Green, MTX, Touring
In my ongoing attempts to get my bent rims replaced or repaired, I went to Just Tires today to get 4 new rims. From what I've read here, I thought I needed to get Hub centric replacements. Winter wheels thread Just tires said they don't have any Hub centric rims. I call Mazda Service and ask the service manager what he knows. He puts the phone down and starts yelling "does anyone know if the 5 is hub or lug centric?" Lots of mumbling later he comes back on and says these are Lug centric.

He also tells me that his wheel guy saw my bent rim and can fix it for $150, anyone have any exp. with getting wheels straightened? (rounded?)

Glen

Lazy Glen said:
In my ongoing attempts to get my bent rims replaced or repaired, I went to Just Tires today to get 4 new rims. From what I've read here, I thought I needed to get Hub centric replacements. Winter wheels thread Just tires said they don't have any Hub centric rims. I call Mazda Service and ask the service manager what he knows. He puts the phone down and starts yelling "does anyone know if the 5 is hub or lug centric?" Lots of mumbling later he comes back on and says these are Lug centric.

He also tells me that his wheel guy saw my bent rim and can fix it for $150, anyone have any exp. with getting wheels straightened? (rounded?)

Glen

All stock rims are hub centric. The only time you get lug centric is when one would get the multi-fit winter steel rims. Hub centric is the way to go because the lug-centric will cause vibration especially at high speed.

canadianexpress said:
All stock rims are hub centric. The only time you get lug centric is when one would get the multi-fit winter steel rims. Hub centric is the way to go because the lug-centric will cause vibration especially at high speed.
I have non-hubcentric on the protege5, no vibrations @ 100 mph

Wife picked up the straightened rim and new tire today, $300. I'll take a look at it and put it back on tommorow.

The question is, where do you get hub centric aftermarket rims? Or do I just have to move from the 100-200 range up to the 500+ range to get hub centric. (Which is what I'm trying to avoid in the first place.)

It's kind of frusterating that info on the web is more accurate than the info from the Mazda Service rep.

Glen

There are rings that you can get that will change the hub diameter of the wheel to match the hubs on your car.
I would think any reputable wheel shop should be able to determine which ones you need.

hubcentric_rings.jpg

the_saint said:
There are rings that you can get that will change the hub diameter of the wheel to match the hubs on your car.
I would think any reputable wheel shop should be able to determine which ones you need.

hubcentric_rings.jpg

I was told by a tire dealer that the hub rings can only be mounted on the alloys and that there is no room to put it in the steelies.

canadianexpress said:
I was told by a tire dealer that the hub rings can only be mounted on the alloys and that there is no room to put it in the steelies.
I have had hub rings installed with my steelies. They are somewhat of a pain to put on, but if you just take care, it is very very very possible.

Edited for language.

Last edited:
Depending on the Mazda5 stock center bore compared to the center bore of the steelies, the hub rings might not be worth it.

In my experince, I'd not use bolt/lug centric rims.
I bought Steelies and winter tires for my 5, I believe the steel rims we ordered are meant for a Toyota Camry, apparently they share the same hub size.
They are hub centric and fit perfectly.
BTW, I got Gislaved NordFrost 5 in 205/55r16 and they work great.
frinkrimwinter.jpg

frink5winter.jpg

Last edited:
mazdazoom said:
Right, go to a wheel shop. For sure they know exactly what you need.

Nothing personal, but I do not know that this is the best advice. At the tire shop, they are going to make it work for sure, and they're going to make a sale.

They are not going to make sure that you are getting hubcentric steelies. I guarantee they will sell you generic steelies and send you out the door. They won't even mention anything about hubrings.

Try it, and let me know what happens!

Back