Adding heated mirrors to a Mazda 5

Partsguy

:
Mazda 5
Just wondering if anyone has done this? Can you list the part numbers, cost, time involved and level of difficulty.

We just our first snowfall of the year yesterday and heated mirrors would have been nice in the mornings.

Regards,

John

Heated Mirrors

I thought they all came with heater side mirrors that worked with the rear-defogger switch.........Now I'm confused....
Anthony

I wouldn't mind heated mirrors too.

None of the 2006 US spec Mazda5s (Sport or Touring) had them as an option.
IDK about 07s, any of the Canadian models, or any overseas models though.

Heated Mirrors

the_saint said:
I wouldn't mind heated mirrors too.

None of the 2006 US spec Mazda5s (Sport or Touring) had them as an option.
IDK about 07s, any of the Canadian models, or any overseas models though.

The Canadian GT models (aka US Touring) came with this option in '06.

I've had the mirrors apart (on a US Touring) and there isn't any wiring at all for the mirror heaters. Even my Ford Focus had the connectors tucked in there so it was just a question of popping on upgraded mirrors and putting in the fuse link. Not on the 5, you'll have to wire it directly to the defrost circuit, kindof a pain, I decided against doing it myself, too much work.

Ok here is my GS Canadian version reply.... its a risk but I will try.

I have a dude who can change the mirror for couple of bux and the heated mirror replacement (with the element in it) is about 35 bux if I recall.

I will do the drivers side and I bet the two contacts are there to connect the elements to the rear defrost circuit.

I was the first to add the cruise switch to the GS canadian 5 and was successful in that endever.

More to follow.

PS if anyone has seen a written off Mazda 5 just smash the mirror to find out if the contacts are there....

Zoom5Zoom said:
Ok here is my GS Canadian version reply.... its a risk but I will try.

I have a dude who can change the mirror for couple of bux and the heated mirror replacement (with the element in it) is about 35 bux if I recall.

I will do the drivers side and I bet the two contacts are there to connect the elements to the rear defrost circuit.

I was the first to add the cruise switch to the GS canadian 5 and was successful in that endever.

More to follow.

PS if anyone has seen a written off Mazda 5 just smash the mirror to find out if the contacts are there....

GO Zoom5Zoom...... Let us know how to do it.

Ok had a one on one with the mirror guy and it as easy as pie to change the Mazda mirror.

The new mirror comes with its own housing so it is just like lego... ensure the mirror is warm and simply pull it off from one side carfully.

There should be two purple wires to connect the new mirror too... these two wires (connection of the wires are not polarizied so fill your boots). I have yet to rip into a GS mirror yet but like my other mods I assume the wire is there waiting (I will find out when I bring the car in the garage to see if the wires are there...if not behind the tweeter beszel the power mirror connector should have 5 wires on the pass through connector....if so then two are for the heated mirror)

Now the new mirror when connected should just pop back on .... don't force too much on glass as it can break (but like I said ensure you do this in a warm garage).

More to follow and pics when I get my car in the garage later today I hope...

PS here are the part numbers of the side glass mirrors with the internal element

RIGHT SIDE CC45-691G1 $34.25 CDN
LEFT SIDE CC45-69-1G7 $34.25 CDN

Last edited:
Zoom5Zoom said:
Ok had a one on one with the mirror guy and it as easy as pie to change the Mazda mirror.

The new mirror comes with its own housing so it is just like lego... ensure the mirror is warm and simply pull it off from one side carfully.

There should be two purple wires to connect the new mirror too... these two wires (connection of the wires are not polarizied so fill your boots). I have yet to rip into a GS mirror yet but like my other mods I assume the wire is there waiting (I will find out when I bring the car in the garage to see if the wires are there...if not behind the tweeter beszel the power mirror connector should have 5 wires on the pass through connector....if so then two are for the heated mirror)

Now the new mirror when connected should just pop back on .... don't force too much on glass as it can break (but like I said ensure you do this in a warm garage).

More to follow and pics when I get my car in the garage later today I hope...

PS here are the part numbers of the side glass mirrors with the internal element

RIGHT SIDE CC45-691G1 $34.25 CDN
LEFT SIDE CC45-69-1G7 $34.25 CDN
Damn....

Did my investigation on a GS and pulled the mirror off and found there are not extra wires for that but I did find out that both the GT and GS have up to the "through" connector at the mirror there are 5 wires (2 of which have to be for the heated mirror).

Now I have to see if I can order a harness (which I assume comes with the mirror motor or add two wires to the exsisting connector).

I will not give up on this one.....

Zoom5Zoom said:
Damn....

Did my investigation on a GS and pulled the mirror off and found there are not extra wires for that but I did find out that both the GT and GS have up to the "through" connector at the mirror there are 5 wires (2 of which have to be for the heated mirror).

Now I have to see if I can order a harness (which I assume comes with the mirror motor or add two wires to the exsisting connector).

I will not give up on this one.....

Hell

Checked with parts and the wire assembly which takes the new heated mirror comes with a MIRROR Assembly like the whole housing..... well got to find out how to attach the new wires .... this leads to another question..

I hope the two wires for the mirror on the 5 GS are indeed powered when the rear defrost comes on and it doen't go through any other relay

Zoom5Zoom said:
Hell

Checked with parts and the wire assembly which takes the new heated mirror comes with a MIRROR Assembly like the whole housing..... well got to find out how to attach the new wires .... this leads to another question..

I hope the two wires for the mirror on the 5 GS are indeed powered when the rear defrost comes on and it doen't go through any other relay

Ok here is latest

Option A: Replace the whole assembly (includes glass element mirror) for $195 CDN each

Option B: Order a replacement heated glass mirror and hope it comes with female connectors which connect to the feed throu connector

I am going with Option B

yeah, I want to correct my earlier post(bow). although the defrost harnass isn't there (like it was on my Focus), sure enough on the interior side of the door there are two wires in the connector for the defroster and to my amazement the mirror defrost fuse is in place in the fuse panel.
I figured I must have missed something before if all you Canucks(thinkbeer had it.(wink)

the_saint said:
So....has it been established that all NA Mazda5s are wired for heated mirrors?
I will say yes until I hook up the new mirror glass I will then tell ya
but although wired the external wire to the glass is not always present..

Zoom5Zoom said:
I will say yes until I hook up the new mirror glass I will then tell ya
but although wired the external wire to the glass is not always present..

OK received mirror with element and it did not have wires or connector pins to connector feed through connector for the mirror...

Will think of drilling through holes into the connector and splicing?

Back