Anyone changed out headlights?

crazyspeed6

:
Mazdaspeed 6
Ok, I bought some new bulbs for my car. I only have the sport mazdaspeed 6, so mine didnt come with the "blue" lights. Anyways I bought some 8000K headlights and barley got the stock ones out and I can't get the new ones in for dear life. Does anybody know of an easy way to get the new ones in? I am trying to get around taking out the headlamp. my hands are just big and cant get a firm grip on anything in that tight space. Any suggestions?

a very tight space indeed. Just be careful with them, and make sure you don't touch the glass of the bulb.

Removing the airbox out of the way frees up some space for the driver's side. I'm not too familiar with the engine bay layout for the MS6 on the passenger side, though.

I will always give the same advice to anyone wanting to change out there lights in the front.
Take the bumper, and headlight housing off the car, and do the mod.

---Aloha

Little assist light in headlight housing

Kind of related... Does anyone know what bulb (preferably bright white LED) would replace the little light inside the headlight housing that is on when you have the low beams on...it looks like a flashlight bulb and it illuminates the unlit half of the headlight assembly a bit... the stock bulb is yellowish. Is this one any harder to get at to replace? Anyone do it yet?

crazyspeed6 said:
Ok, I bought some new bulbs for my car. I only have the sport mazdaspeed 6, so mine didnt come with the "blue" lights. Anyways I bought some 8000K headlights and barley got the stock ones out and I can't get the new ones in for dear life. Does anybody know of an easy way to get the new ones in? I am trying to get around taking out the headlamp. my hands are just big and cant get a firm grip on anything in that tight space. Any suggestions?

jericho941 said:
Kind of related... Does anyone know what bulb (preferably bright white LED) would replace the little light inside the headlight housing that is on when you have the low beams on...it looks like a flashlight bulb and it illuminates the unlit half of the headlight assembly a bit... the stock bulb is yellowish. Is this one any harder to get at to replace? Anyone do it yet?

That Bulb is a 194, I swapped mine out for a super white LED that matches the 6000k Bulbs I put in. The bumper will need to be taken off to do the swap on the HID bulbs unless you have extremely small hands.

crazyspeed6 said:

I tried the 8K bulbs, while they look cool they did lack in light output. I ended up swapping them out for 6K bulbs.

DPSpeed said:
That Bulb is a 194, I swapped mine out for a super white LED that matches the 6000k Bulbs I put in. The bumper will need to be taken off to do the swap on the HID bulbs unless you have extremely small hands.

I did the same thing a while back using PIAA 194 extreme white LEDs.

just a quick question......the projectors on the M6's......are they HID or just projectors? if they are HID were there ever just a projector option on the first few models.....if so what year?

i'm working on a custom project and don't need HID's but do need the projectors and the M6 lights appear to be the right size.......any help?

orangeade said:
just a quick question......the projectors on the M6's......are they HID or just projectors? if they are HID were there ever just a projector option on the first few models.....if so what year?

i'm working on a custom project and don't need HID's but do need the projectors and the M6 lights appear to be the right size.......any help?

The Speed6 uses D2S xenon bulbs. So yes... it's HID since production.

orangeade said:

There has never been an HID option for regular 6's. They are projectors. Are you doing a HID retrofit of some kind?

ChicagoKid said:
Check the regular 6 forum. You asked a question under Speed6 forum. :)

This is a 6/MS6 Apperance forum.

perfect, thanks for the info. now i can make a trip to the junk yard and just grab any set of 6 lights. i've contemplated doing something with the protege speed but more so for my ninja. also working on a custom show vehicle and want to make a custom set of headlights and signals....space is limited in both applications and it just looks like the projectors from the 6 would fit. don't need HID just the projectors for the look more than anything.

only the gt's have xenon hid's

crazyspeed6 said:

Can't help without you removing the WHOLE bumper. It is really easy if you start from the bottom. Take off the bottom plastic splash cover, couple of clips and bolts. Remove clips on plastic inner fender, there are two bolts total, attaching the bumper cover to the sheet metal close to the headlamp assembly. Pull bumper cover down at wheel wells. Remove plastic clips and swrews from ends of "front grill". Should come off easy now.

Headlamp screws are now easier to see and access, even with big hands!

from there ou can manipulate the bulbs, or unclip the whole shebang, get it warm, and pull (pry) it appart to unstick mis-socketed turn signal bulbs; happened once to me, 2 weeks without a turn signal. It drove me nuts!! Also needed for angeleyes instalation.

Don't be too scared to pull on stuff but, use a butter knife or similar to gently pry, and inch along the perimiter. 2 times around should do it.

Oh yeah, and you can check mazdas site, but I think its only the gt model that has the xenon lights; one of the reasons I dropped the extra bones for gt.

Hope it helps!

06ms6blkchrymicagtcpeintakebovcatbk
needaxlebktmicngnmntupgrd-difmntexed(wrc) brembos&kuhmos(ecstas rock!)

Last edited:
Back