4.3 quarts eh?

Wytchdctr

:
2003 Hyundai Elantra
This is for anyone that does there on oil changes. Can you get 4.3 quarts in it, let the engine sit for more than 5 minutes (after running the engine to fill the filter element/housing), and it not be over the full mark? The shop did my first change and they put it over. I just did my own and put juuuussttt shy of 4 quarts before it was at the full mark after the engine has been shut off for a few. That is how the book tells you to check it. I had the same thing happen with my elantra. Put in what the book said to, went over. Later a TSB came out saying go off the dipstick and not the book. They changed the oil pan design before bringing it over and not the books data.

Anyone else notice this or am I crazy?? (ughdance)

Also this engine is freakin slow, even hot, to drain the oil back to the pan. Maybe thats the variable valve timing system causing that? Hell the hummers I drove in Iraq would show its true/final/whatever you want to call it oil level after engine shut down before this 2.3 does. It really takes it that 5 minutes for the level to stop rising after its shut off.

the book claims 3.9 without changing the filter and 4.3 with a filter change. Im getting about 3.9 in it with a filter change. I'm going off the dipstick until I find info saying its wrong.

Wytchdctr said:
Anyone else notice this or am I crazy?? (ughdance)

Also this engine is freakin slow, even hot, to drain the oil back to the pan. Maybe thats the variable valve timing system causing that? Hell the hummers I drove in Iraq would show its true/final/whatever you want to call it oil level after engine shut down before this 2.3 does. It really takes it that 5 minutes for the level to stop rising after its shut off.

This is good though, means the oil is staying where it needs to be. Specially for short trips to the store where youll shut it off and be right back to start it again. Helps on the most critical time, on starting.

I did my first oil and filter change, went with the book, 4.3 qts, the first time, and was totally shocked to see the level about 1/2 inch above the top fill mark. I have always been told that too much oil is way worse than too little, well at least to a certain point, something about sloshing and not being able to keep the flow going or something along those lines. So, I used an old water bottle and very slowly drained out 1/4 of a quart using the drain plug. At that point it was just a hair above the top fill line. Ever since I only put in 4qts and it registers right near the top fill line. Just makes me wonder what the guys at the oil change shops are doing. I mean they don't have time to do anything but the change, they sure as hell are not double checking the level once they are done. Yet another reason to try and do it yourself if possible.

Mine does this, too. I have yet to fill it after a change without it showing up over-full the next day. I doubt I've let it sit a full 5 minutes after re-fill, that's why I say the next day it's over-full. It's maddening, but mostly because I know it's this way and I still over-filled it (again) last time!

opus said:
I did my first oil and filter change, went with the book, 4.3 qts, the first time, and was totally shocked to see the level about 1/2 inch above the top fill mark. I have always been told that too much oil is way worse than too little, well at least to a certain point, something about sloshing and not being able to keep the flow going or something along those lines. So, I used an old water bottle and very slowly drained out 1/4 of a quart using the drain plug. At that point it was just a hair above the top fill line. Ever since I only put in 4qts and it registers right near the top fill line. Just makes me wonder what the guys at the oil change shops are doing. I mean they don't have time to do anything but the change, they sure as hell are not double checking the level once they are done. Yet another reason to try and do it yourself if possible.

One of the biggest reasons to much = bad is windage. If the oil level is high enough that the crank beats it like an egg beater, you get foam instead of oil.

After changing my oil a few weeks ago, I went with my now normal 4 qts after change and everything looked fine. Then this last Saturday, while refilling my wiper fluid, I checked the oil level and it shows up and a half quart low??? Is there like some secret compartment in this thing that opens up and holds that extra .3?? I put in about .3 and all of a sudden we are back at full. I just don't get it. I pray to God this thing is not starting to burn oil at 7000 miles, but you never know.

How long had the engine been off? Mine is still right at full after a 500 mile trip on 3.9 quarts. The books says run it then give it 5 min. before checking. The oil level will keep going up for those 5min, they are not lieing, lol

The time I checked it was about 1100 miles after the oil change and the car had been sitting for about 2 days :). I brought up the issue with my service manager and he just said "new cars sometimes use oil till they are broken in" We are at 7000 miles right now, I will be watching this like a hawk from now on though.

Mine takes 4.5 quarts, but I like to keep my oil level right at the "Max" mark.

Opus, I have interesting things happen with our oil level when I'm changing as well. However, once I've completed the change and the level is what it is (low, right on, high... whatever it settles on), then it's been very stable for me, though I try to check it under the same conditions all the time (i.e. normally check it 10-20 minutes after shutdown, or normally check it first thing in the morning, or whenever). Our car has ~17,000 miles on it now, and it has never had any noticeable consumption.

Called the local mazda dealer to ask them before I break something and they blame it on low oil.

Two things, the 2.3 is really slow to drain off oil. YOU HAVE TO WAIT the 5-10min the book tells you to get a good reading.

Second, there is a galley in the head that loves to hold oil, or so the svc manager told me.

He did say go off the dipstick after a proper reading (warm engine + the wait after shut off)

From the FSM:
Engine oil capacity (approx. quantity)
Oil replacement: 3.9 L {4.1 US qt, 3.4 Imp qt}

Oil and oil filter replacement: 4.3 L {4.5 US qt, 3.8 Imp qt}

Total (dry engine): 4.6 L {4.9 US qt, 4.0 Imp qt}

7. Install the oil filler cap.
8. Start the engine and confirm that there is no oil leakage.
If there is oil leakage, repair or replace the applicable part.

9. Inspect the oil level. (See ENGINE OIL LEVEL INSPECTION [L3].)

1. Position the vehicle on level ground.
2. Warm up the engine.
3. Stop the engine and allow approx. 5 min before continuing.
4. Remove the dipstick and verify that the oil level is between the MAX and MIN marks on the dipstick.
If the oil level is below the MIN mark, add engine oil.

mine will not take more than 3.9ish WITH a filter for some reason (silly) Thats with the oil being warm during the change. Maybe mines just an oddball.

Latest posts

Back