Speed6/ eibachs

Ask P5Freek. He has the sportlines (the larger drop) installed.

R

Eibach Pro Kits are designed for the V6. Check the part numbers.

Eibach went lazy and just decided to release the springs for the MS6 despite the MS6's extra weight and stiffer spring rates. The MS6 has springs which are significantly greater spring rates than the regular 6 (25% more up front, 37% in the rear). I would think that a proper spring set for the MS6 would take into account those spring rates, and further increase the spring rate for the drop. This is something something that Eibach did not take into consideration.

By that virute be forewarned that Eibach Pro Kits for the MS6 are just for looks, not performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raynman said:

Eibach went lazy and just decided to release the springs for the MS6 despite the MS6's extra weight and stiffer spring rates. The MS6 has springs which are significantly greater spring rates than the regular 6 (25% more up front, 37% in the rear). I would think that a proper spring set for the MS6 would take into account those spring rates, and further increase the spring rate for the drop. This is something something that Eibach did not take into consideration.

By that virute be forewarned that Eibach Pro Kits for the MS6 are just for looks, not performance.

Speed6 owners would be better off with the Mazdaspeed Springs for the wagon/hatch.

Lets Play Devils Advocate

Ok we understand that eibach didnt design new springs for the MS6 and most of us also understand that the speed is heavier than the V6, but has anyone track tested the speed with the prokit to see if there are actual negative handling effects from having them installed. Eibach has been in the business for a very long time due to that I have to give them the benefit of the doubt here. Autoexe springs are designed for the speed 6 but the drop is very conservative and it is my opinion that the Speed6 comes from factory with an extremely high ride height.

Jae

I would like to know if anyone has any technical info on the Sportline springs as compared to the Autoexe springs, the stock springs and the Pro kit. Now that would be Info.

i am running th mazdaspeed spring witch is the same spring as the eibach sportline sping and as far as im concered they handle great as for hitting bump stops etc. no the car has a stiffer ride then it did original does not hit bump stops and handels bithen but with that the ride is a little rugher very little but is not to bad it doesnt beat u up but does drop the front about 2 inchs and the rear 3 but i say again it doesnt bottom out even with 2 people in the back seat and luggage in the trunk i had absulutly no problem and would highly recomend going that route.

H&R says they're making a spring sometime. I didn't see where the Mazdaspeed spring dropped the car 2 and 3 inches though. Jamespeed6 on the 6club really likes his mazdaspeed springs and has raced it. He said it's a great daily driver/occassional track day spring.

Recap

Im sure you guys can understand my point. We need some type of technical Data to show a decrease in performance due to Eibach's "lack of enthusiams" in developing a speed specific application for our model. After speak with the R&D guy they have all but promised that the kit was tested on our car.

Jae

P.S Most People with the prokit installed have said good things about the ride and performance. Lets ask ourselves the question had eibach changed the part number on the product instead of leaving it the same as the V6, would this even be a conversation at all?

theChineyz said:
Im sure you guys can understand my point. We need some type of technical Data to show a decrease in performance due to Eibach's "lack of enthusiams" in developing a speed specific application for our model.

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewtopic.php?t=4674&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Take a stock MS6 to an autox, swap out the springs, and autox it again and I almost guarantee you it won't corner or transfer weight as well as stock because of the spring rate. What Eibach did goes against all performance suspension theory. It's made and tested for comfort and looks, not performance. You're ending up with springs that essentially have spring rates worse than stock. Based on the spring rates, the closest analogy I can think of is expecting better performance by losing a cylinder in my v6.

PS Most People with the prokit installed have said good things about the ride and performance.

Performance out of progressive springs? Hardly. Nevermind that the Eibachs sagged in the rear as evidenced by pics in the archives of the "other" forum. It was so bad that when Mazdaspeed contracted Eibach to make Mazdaspeed springs, they dictated Eibach to do the OPPOSITE of what Eibach did for the Pro Kit. Mazdaspeed told them to make a linear rate spring and increase the spring rate significantly to match the drop.

Lets ask ourselves the question had eibach changed the part number on the product instead of leaving it the same as the V6, would this even be a conversation at all?

I look at it this way. Thank god Eibach didn't change the part number or else it would've made the detective work behind understanding the springs they're selling to you 'Speed guys more difficult. Thankfully, the similar part numbers made the sleuthing easier so we can tell that Eibach is hoodwinking us to believe that those are performance springs.

nice ride

i bought a speed6 few weeks ago, i've been bouncing around a few ideas in my head about where i should begin my modifications, but i was coming up blank, until i saw ur ride, its the nicest ms6 i've ever seen (shocked) (omg). i would greatly appreciate it if u could offer me a few words of advice on where i should begin my modifications to my speed6(burnout)

Raynman said:
Maybe they are designed for BOTH applications. Not a really huge gap with the weights of these cars.
I find this hard to believe. Where did you get your info from?

(bs) ANY spring that lowers the cars center of gravity will help in the cornering performance. Also, stiffer spring rates also help keep the car flat in cornering. better traction means faster corners.

Raynman said:
http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewtopic.php?t=4674&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Take a stock MS6 to an autox, swap out the springs, and autox it again and I almost guarantee you it won't corner or transfer weight as well as stock because of the spring rate. What Eibach did goes against all performance suspension theory. It's made and tested for comfort and looks, not performance. You're ending up with springs that essentially have spring rates worse than stock. Based on the spring rates, the closest analogy I can think of is expecting better performance by losing a cylinder in my v6.

Performance out of progressive springs? Hardly. Nevermind that the Eibachs sagged in the rear as evidenced by pics in the archives of the "other" forum. It was so bad that when Mazdaspeed contracted Eibach to make Mazdaspeed springs, they dictated Eibach to do the OPPOSITE of what Eibach did for the Pro Kit. Mazdaspeed told them to make a linear rate spring and increase the spring rate significantly to match the drop.

I look at it this way. Thank god Eibach didn't change the part number or else it would've made the detective work behind understanding the springs they're selling to you 'Speed guys more difficult. Thankfully, the similar part numbers made the sleuthing easier so we can tell that Eibach is hoodwinking us to believe that those are performance springs.

And you substantiate these claims how? And as a degreed Mechanical Engineer ...I can tell you with all due respect...you are WAY OFF on most everything you put in this thread. Please find and post some sort of quantifible data to back up this stuff. I mean really.

For those of us (and we are out here, trust me) that don't have Mech. Eng. Degrees or AutoX experience or the desire to do so, does'nt having a weaker spring rate translate into a softer ride, while also lowering the center of gravity. It seems to me and what I would want personally out of this type of suspension upgrade, that this would be best of both worlds.. IE: lowered for looks and center of gravity without losing ride quality......

PS: no sarcasm intended for those with the education or track/car modding experience, I am still learning here remember.

And thanks for putting up with my noobness as usual....

Common sense suggests that if you have a softer spring that makes the car sit lower, your car will bottom out.

Ive Decided

Ok well I guess im all in. After speaking with Eibach and participating in a couple of threads I have decided to buy a Prokit and try and find out if there is any increase body roll or premature sagging. What the hell if they become a problem Ill switch them out after the shocks explode and switch to Rpms offering and some new Konigs. Tired of my car looking like a monster truck I just wish Rpm would have chose to develop a spring with at least an inch and a quarter drop..

I can only read through so much techno babble before I just say to hell with it and try it myself(try reading through the DSLR forums and see if you ever buy anything due to the *experts* explaining how your inferior cmos sensor will create crappier shots than their medium format hasslebads.My point being that this product may be perfect for the average user whereas not as good for the track star..My opinion is that if I wanted a true race application I go with a race spec coilover kit. Anywayz guys the information was very educational for me at the least.

Jae

Last edited:
Back