Nutari

Contributor
:
2010 Mazdaspeed3
Tools Needed:

10mm wrench
Wire cutters
Crimp tool
mini torch or soldering iron (only for the heat shrinking.)

What comes with the XEDE:
XEDE unit
Wiring harness
7 Male spade connectors
7 Female spade connectors
3 Scotch locks (taps)
Wiring diagram/instructions

I didnt take a picture before I started because I was too excited. (Can you blame me?)

Here is what it should look like (almost) before you start.

First, remove the harness cover seen here.
001.jpg

002.jpg

Then remove the battery cover.
Disconnect the Negative (-) side and tape it out of the way. I am extra careful because I hate electricity and actually covered the terminal with tape.
003.jpg

It looks very scary at first but do NOT be intimidated. There are 8 wires coming from the XEDE unit. Our speed 3 only uses 7 of them.

004.jpg

Following the diagram supplied by BEGi, locate the wires on the harnesses. Only one wire from the Right side harness is used. The other 6 or on the left harness.

You have to keep in mind that this unit is an INTERCEPTOR style. It goes in between the sensors and the ECU. Once you can understand that, the install is a breeze. Took me about 20-30 minutes in the rain.

once you have all your wires crimped, use a soldering iron or mini torch (be careful not to hit the other wires) and hit the heat shrinking to insulate your crimps.

All the spade connectors (male and female) and the three wire taps are all supplied by BEGi as well as a bunch of zipties.

Then, plug in the harnesses to the XEDE unit, black to black, gray to gray.
start zip tying and decide where you want to stash away your XEDE unit.

I was just barely able to put back on the covers on both. If I had taken a little more time, I could have done a better job and chose to cut the wires further down.

If you take a look at the pictures, it looks almost stock. You wouldn't be able to tell unless you knew what you were looking for.
005.jpg

Now, to take on some unsuspecting STI's....

Little do they know, an extra 57 whp and 70 ft lbs or torque are waiting for them.

Last edited:
Can't WAIT for plug - n - play!!!!!

Hey thanks for the write up dude. (first) I can't wait for you to post on how it DRIVES!!!! Are you using the stock maps or going to do some custom tuning?
Looking forward to your write up on the test drive!!!!!!:)

I'm saving $$$ for one of these babys, but I'm waitin for plug-n-play.

dude Nutari....u are my HERO.....u alrite have tmic/rear engine mount upgrade....now the xede....i cant wait to see how the car drives like now.... this is the set up i want for my car.....but im too waiting for the plug and play xede....let us know asap....

flyrevs said:
Hey thanks for the write up dude. (first) I can't wait for you to post on how it DRIVES!!!! Are you using the stock maps or going to do some custom tuning?
Looking forward to your write up on the test drive!!!!!!:)

I'm saving $$$ for one of these babys, but I'm waitin for plug-n-play.

I've been driving it all day now.
Its amazing. I can floor it in second and it pulls me off the road. Well, the roads are wet so I couldnt really open it up till just a little while ago. 3rd and 4rth pull REALLY hard now and it does NOT let up. You know how ( I posted a video also) the boost only spikes to 16 then settles on like 10-13? now it holds the boost at 15-16psi all the way up. Im sure there is ALOT more but like I said, it was raining almost the entire day and I couldnt open her up fully.

I am trying to schedule the dyno for next week. The way the wiring is set up, I can just unhook the XEDE and plug the wires back together so im back to stock.

The dynos will be as follows.

Totally stock
XEDE
TMIC no XEDE
TMIC & XEDE.

I will be getting a laptop to borrow tonight and custom tuning it just a little bit to compensate for the TMIC.

Intake is here also. Going to install it tomorrow though. :)

Stay tuned...

300whp is just a tiny step away if not already here. :)

intake?? from who?

Nutari said:
I've been driving it all day now.
Its amazing. I can floor it in second and it pulls me off the road. Well, the roads are wet so I couldnt really open it up till just a little while ago. 3rd and 4rth pull REALLY hard now and it does NOT let up. You know how ( I posted a video also) the boost only spikes to 16 then settles on like 10-13? now it holds the boost at 15-16psi all the way up. Im sure there is ALOT more but like I said, it was raining almost the entire day and I couldnt open her up fully.

I am trying to schedule the dyno for next week. The way the wiring is set up, I can just unhook the XEDE and plug the wires back together so im back to stock.

The dynos will be as follows.

Totally stock
XEDE
TMIC no XEDE
TMIC & XEDE.

I will be getting a laptop to borrow tonight and custom tuning it just a little bit to compensate for the TMIC.

Intake is here also. Going to install it tomorrow though. :)

Stay tuned...

300whp is just a tiny step away if not already here. :)

sikanimator said:
Is the boost cut gone as well?
I dont know how many times I will have to repeat this.

NO BOOST CUT.

YOU (Yes you) have total control of the boost.

:)

Enjoy!

Nutari said:

NO BOOST CUT.

Enjoy!
I think I have read about 15 times of you saying "NO BOOST CUT"!!! Got to love. I am still very torn in between the xede and cobb. Everytime I see your posts I just want to go and buy!!!

benzo said:
I am still very torn in between the xede and cobb. Everytime I see your posts I just want to go and buy!!!

XEDE is a working product you can buy now.(first)
COBB is a hopeful product at some unknown future date.

I wish COBB the best and hope they crack the Mazda ECU.... soon!!!!

Oh yea I read somewhere that the XEDE reduces BOOST CUT too :):):) LOL

benzo said:
I think I have read about 15 times of you saying "NO BOOST CUT"!!! Got to love. I am still very torn in between the xede and cobb. Everytime I see your posts I just want to go and buy!!!

ok.. roads dried up a bit.

From about 15 mph in 2nd, I punch it.. wheel spin.. shift third.. catch traction for a little while, hit redline, I get wheelspin again.

I found ONE thing wrong with the XEDE.

GAS goes REALLY fast when you are flooring it everywhere. (first) (first)

Nutari said:

NO BOOST CUT.

Enjoy!

I have no idea why I typed boost cut. I have a speed 6 so I don't have that silly boost limiter in my first few gears.

I'm trying to find out about the fuel cut. I already have full control of my boost with an EBC... but fuel cut hits sometimes at mid RPM with just an extra psi over stock. It's really bad in the cold weather.

People who have added downpipes are hitting it all the damn time and 4DRHTRD is really suffering with the upgraded turbo. He's supposed to get this system installed Monday so I guess we'll see if it does indeed solve the problem.

But seriously... how about boost cut?

How about now?

i have read from other Thread saying the gas mileage improve even u drive hard....!?

Nutari said:
ok.. roads dried up a bit.

From about 15 mph in 2nd, I punch it.. wheel spin.. shift third.. catch traction for a little while, hit redline, I get wheelspin again.

I found ONE thing wrong with the XEDE.

GAS goes REALLY fast when you are flooring it everywhere. (first) (first)

udontknowjack said:
i have read from other Thread saying the gas mileage improve even u drive hard....!?
BEGi reported that they saw a 3mpg increase.

I have been flooring it everywhere because the feel of the car slamming you into your seat is highly addicting. Obviously I wont be seeing that same increase.

I'll try to drive it a little more civil and see if I do get better mileage.

thanx man.....xede xede......grrrr.....to wait or not to wait....thats the question....how much longer before you guys get the connector??
maybe a plug/play will make my decision alot easier....

Captain KRM P5 said:
yes sir i saw it today and i will run it all on monday :)

how reliable can the xede run.....in a long run....50k, 80k later....will the xede cause any negative to the engine? i heard people say the tranny/clutch will hold all the extra whp.....but how about the DSC?? can the DSC takes all the punishment??
lastly ken do u have anybody can do the install/tunning in ca bay area?
thanx guys

udontknowjack said:
how reliable can the xede run.....in a long run....50k, 80k later....will the xede cause any negative to the engine? i heard people say the tranny/clutch will hold all the extra whp.....but how about the DSC?? can the DSC takes all the punishment??
lastly ken do u have anybody can do the install/tunning in ca bay area?
thanx guys

frankly any kind of mod you do to the engine could in some way potentially damage the engine. the only way to guarantee that a modification won't harm the car or void a warranty 100% is like abstinence and pregnancy :) just don't do it. everything is engineered and designed to work within certain parameters, however its also true that the car is tuned to run very conservatively from mazda. this is to account for a variety of climate conditions, altitudes, driving styles, etc. the old phrase "jack of trades and master of none" in a sense applies to how cars are tuned from the factory.

that said, as long as your air/fuel ratios are right and your driving habits are not steve mcqueen at every red light, your car and engine will hold up fine. BEGi has always been very big on streetable and reliable power in thier work. the fact that the engine is direct injection allows for a bit more leeway than your tradition fuel injection systems - its less easy to detonate and much more precise in fuel delivery.

dread said:
you make some good points, I didn't know that mazda could tell that your ecu was flashed. Can they still tell if you unplug the battery after you flash it back? I really hope that they make the xede plug and play.

of course they can tell :) this is how they flash cars to begin with. you go in for warranty work, they scan the car to see what version you have on your ECU, the system will tell them whether or not the car needs an update. many people have gone in with thier msps when bought second hand to find out whether or not they had gotten the dreaded flash ;) factory computers have become very advanced, almost to the point of black boxes where they log a certain amount of information about things like recent driving habits. you could go in with a blown engine and if the tech analizes sensor data from the system memory and sees what he feels is evidence of vehicle abuse, they could state so and lead to your warranty being voided.

as for unplugging and re-plugging in the battery, thats not going to stop a mazda scan box from seeing what version of what software is written to the ECU last and by what kind of device. the file will still be there and the fact that it was flashed by something will also be there. if it doesn't correspond to warranty work done on your car then they might find that suspect. this is also a reason why you can't just clear a CEL and go in for an emissions test and pass this way. basic OBD2 scanners at emissions stations can see that you've tried to clear the memory on the ECU recently and that there isn't enough logged sensor data to pass the car.

i think when other systems become available the choice will come down what features and goals the consumer is looking for and willing to pay for. personal preference will play a large role. as for being plug and play, latest word is that the harnesses are familiar to a company we've contacted and that we may be able to import them from japan. i'm not guaranteeing at this point that this will be possible, so please don't take false hope in that.

Back