How to install H/K LCD screen in dash

sromero2

:
07 MazdaSpeed3 GT, True Red
So here is how I installed the Harman/Kardon Drive and play in my speed3.

First you have to remove the head unit (H/U). This can be accomplished by opening the glove box and removeing the trim panel pictured below. Pop the middle out first so you can get the hooked end out from the right side. Then pop out the rest of the clips.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Unscrew the two screws on top of H/U. There is one each side. After they are removed the H/U will come out. It can be a little stubborn but it will come out.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Then remove the ashtray panel. This is so you can route the wires later. It is held in by two screws, shown in the image.

6.jpg

Now, we turn our attention to the H/U. Remove the main part of the H/U by unscrewing the six screws on the side (3 on each side).

7.jpg

Now, remove the front panel. There is clip on the left and rightside. As well as, two behind the face in the middle. All shown in the image by the arrows.

8.jpg

Then remove the metal bar that goes across the bottom of the H/U. It is held on by two screws that are visible from the rear. Shown in the smaller corner image.

9.jpg

O.k., if you got this far you are doing good. It is time to diassemble the LCD screen from the drive and play. The front face snaps on. I used my hands to pop it off but this could be done with several different gentle methods. Once it is apart the screen comes out, after you disconnect the plug on the back side.

11.jpg

Take the face from the H/U and dremel out a space for the screen. Make sure the screen is centered and flush with the bottom of the face. This is important because it has to fit in the space on H/U and clear the heater control panels. The screen will fit in almost flush. You will have to cut the support plastic in the back so the tabs on the screen will fit.

12.jpg

13.jpg

Now you have to sand down the Drive and play face plate. This so that it will sit flat on the H/U face plate. I used a bench top belt sander but you are going to want be careful or you will end up with a few scratches on the plastic. I would recommend tapeing the face up to protect it while sanding and maybe not such an aggresive sander.

14.jpg

Next glue the screen and Drive and play face plate to the H/U faceplate. I used 3M plastic and emblem adhesive (clear). Make sure everything is flush at the bottom. Once it dries you can snap it back on the H/U.

15.jpg

Route the wire for the screen has shown in the image and secure it. I used some electrical tape and the backing that was with the screen. The bar that you removed across the bottom will not go back on.

16.jpg

You now can put the H/U back together using those six screws. Then put it back in the car and route the wire down by the ashtray panel you removed. Also you are going to hook up the FM splitter (provided w/Drive and play) to main antenna and then the radio. This wire goes with the screen wire. Both run along the rightside of the shifter to the control box. This is all below the cup holders which pop right out.

18.jpg

Remove the auxillary jack and route the power, remote, and ipod wire through open hole. I did it this way to limit the amount of cutting.

19.jpg

Once this is done plug all wires into control box and zip tie all extra wire. Then tuck the box along side the E-brake.

20.jpg

Mount the remote with the included 3M tape where it is comfortable for you.

21.jpg

Ipod will sit in upper center console compartment.

22.jpg

Reassemble your car.

beautifully done. I wonder if the empty spot on the bottom of the Protege head unit can be modded in this way too? I know the head units all share the same modular approach with the bays and such so perhaps it is big enough for it.

dread said:
excellent write up, could the sanding be done by hand.
Yeah you could do it by hand it would just take awhile. Maybe try a palm sander flipped upside down. Hold it stationary and move the faceplate on it.

good write-up and a very cool idea... i am just curious, what was the final cost of this. I already have my XM mounted in my center console and was thinking about getting the mazda link for the ipod, so im just curious what the price difference between this h/k DIY project vs. the mazda ipod link

you can get the H/K kit for 80 bucks on amazon, that is the only cost I can see besides some glue and tools if you don't have them.

Great write up! You've got balls for cutting up the dash piece on a brand new car. You're end result looks perfect though.

Great write up! I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot of people attempt this on their own. (Myself included if I end up getting the MS3)

Well, if you're afraid of destroying that peice, maybe first find out if you can buy that peice on it's own so you can replace it if you need to.

jbiird317 said:
good write-up and a very cool idea... i am just curious, what was the final cost of this. I already have my XM mounted in my center console and was thinking about getting the mazda link for the ipod, so im just curious what the price difference between this h/k DIY project vs. the mazda ipod link

I paid 100 for the H/K kit from Best Buy but you could get it cheaper and 8 dollars for the glue. Thats it as long as you have the tools. So a grand total of 108.

dread said:
I am not sure I have the balls to cut that piece.

I wasn't sure at first but I couldn't deal with the clutter of having it mounted anywhere else. So not wanting to spend the money on a double DIN deck that could do it all right now I said "screw it".

that totally rocks!
since I am a super duper ultra NOOB, can you please explain how I go about removing the center panel by the shifter ? thanks.

ps: I am from the mazda3 forums, they throw stones at me there...so I have come here. lol

open the center console and just pull up the piece that is part of the drink holder starting from the edge inside of the console. Hope that makes sense

noobinacan said:
that totally rocks!
since I am a super duper ultra NOOB, can you please explain how I go about removing the center panel by the shifter ? thanks.

ps: I am from the mazda3 forums, they throw stones at me there...so I have come here. lol

Just like Dread said. Then pop the shift boot panel out and there will be two screws there to remove. There is a picture of it in the how to.

^^^ Oh, and if you have a MTX then you'll need to unscrew your shift knob before removing the panel. ;)

Back