Is it worthwhile ?

Koa

:
UK Mazda 5 Sport
My Mazda dealers are offering a lowering kit for the 5 and I am tempted because it will obviously keep the warranty fully intact.
But it only lowers by 20mm so I am not sure if it will make enough of a difference to the 5 as I am yet to get the car (pick it up tomorrow)

My last car that I lowered was by 30-35mm and it was a pain to deal with speed bumps, I'm not sure what they are called in other parts of the world,
so would 20mm in your opinion be enough to warrant the expenditure on the 5 or does it really need to drop lower as I would imagine the 5 sits quite far off the ground anyway ?

Cost wise it's a little higher than an independant garage for the lowering, 300 compared to about 200 but the warranty kept in tact is worth that extra.

speed bumps in UK probably equals speed bumps in North America.

The 5 is a bit lower than you think.. it really doesn't look too high stock, I think a 20mm lowering would be nice and subtle, but not enough to really impact the ride quality much.

Kansei said:
speed bumps in UK probably equals speed bumps in North America.

The 5 is a bit lower than you think.. it really doesn't look too high stock, I think a 20mm lowering would be nice and subtle, but not enough to really impact the ride quality much.

Translation, Yes it is worth it.

That's great, thanks a lot. I'll get it booked in to get done before the end of the week (ughdance)

Turns out that the springs the dealers will be using are the Eibach ones.
The drop is a minimum of 20mm but more likely to be 25-30mm.

I didn't realise/realize Eibach were making the springs for the 5 yet so I am well happy if it all goes ahead. I am now waiting for the dealer to call me for a date to get them on.
I had Eibachs on a previous car and they were excellent springs.

The 5 is low from the factory, I successfully found a way to scrape the bottom of the front bumper after only a month of ownership (steep exit from a parking lot). So yeah, I agree with kansei's points. Just take the bumps gently ;)

What are the laws in your country concerning aftermarket parts voiding factory warranties? Because here, adding aftermarket springs wouldn't automatically void the warranty per se. But if you started having problems with suspension components that can be proven to be a direct result of adding aftermarket springs, then it can be denied. But springs wouldn't void the entire warranty on the car.

It's exactly the same here under my experiences although some dealers do try to lay down their own law and deny you any warranty work. I can't understand why they do this because they are turning down work when all said and done because it's Mazda that foot the bill, not the dealers.
That's pretty rare to be honest though and it's never happened to me despite heavily modding some previous cars.

MD5 said:
Did you ever get this done, and do you have pics?
Not yet no. I did upload some pics somewhere that I photoshopped the lowering on and it's the exact drop so gives a good idea of how it will look in the flesh, but Mazda said they can't get the springs until March as Eibach don't have them yet.

Raspykart, I am not sure what they are yet. All I know is they are listed as "Eibach lowering kit" at the dealers and the price is around 300 fitted and no mention of any shocks or anything on the list so standard springs ATM to my knowledge.

Back