Aftermarket fog/driving lights?

1 PHAT 5

:
1PHAT5
Anyone go with anythingother than factory when it comes to the fog lights?

Anyone know of any fog/driing lights that look like HID, so the color output matches as close as possible to HID lights.

I was thinking a larger lamp with a halo ring would look good in the factory slots.

Can anyone photoshop some pics?

if you purchase the a housing you should be able to buy the bulbs seperate. My fogs are Cosmos Blue. Im thinking of yellow possibly too

I've been planning to install the fogs off of my '04 WRX but still haven't found the time.(pissed)

MSP5 said:
Anyone know of any fog/driing lights that look like HID, so the color output matches as close as possible to HID lights.
You're not going to fool anyone, the only thing that actually looks like HID, is HID. It isn't the color that makes HID look the way it does, it's the intensity, which you won't get from a halogen. I forget who, but there are at least one or two on this site that have a 5 with HID fogs.

On a different note, I like the look of yellow fogs... even though several "studies" have been done to show that yellow offers no bad weather visibility advantage. I've been thinking about getting some rockblocker film to do the job, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

my 4750's would look nice with HID's or the 4350 (super whites) by MTEC would look good too. It really depends on the color bulbs you get. If you're going for white HID's then the 4350's would look like more of a match, but if you're going for a really slight shade of blue or pure white then the 4750's might do you justice. I replaced all my bulbs with the 4750's and have been complimented a few times. People have actually asked if they're HID's.

Last edited:
why not get a second hid kit for your fogs from the same place you're getting your kit from? You can use the same kit but just make sure you get the right size bulb for your fogs. it should be that easy.

Update

Well, it turned out my WRX fogs were: a) too big of a housing that I'd have to fabricate some bracket and b) too heavy. Too bad, they were projectors too.
So instead, I went to plan B and here's my install from today:
Test Fitting Hella Optilux 1500
DSCN0402.jpg

Close-up of one of the driving lights:
DSCN0403.jpg

The finished product(almost looks like stock):
DSCN0404.jpg

Install was easy( for me). Just had to cut and trim the plastic, screw the bracket that came with the lights (it's very sturdy) then tap into the stock wiring.
Now the hard part,trying to figure out where those stock wires are in the dash !

Is the factory foglight install kit compatible with aftermarket lamps? That way, you could still have the foglight switch on the turn signal stalk.

starlightmica said:
Is the factory foglight install kit compatible with aftermarket lamps? That way, you could still have the foglight switch on the turn signal stalk.
No intetion to spend much for an OEM stalk. I'd rahter wire a switch.

starlightmica said:
Given the price of the Optiluxes, I can't blame you as the OEM kit costs about twice as much.
No kidding ! It only cost me $20 plus shipping. I had a similar model of Optilux on our former Odyssey and they were still working when we sold the van. Not bad for generic Hellas.

Can you show the mounting of lamp assembly? Looks like a perfect fit.

I have some regret after installed OEM fog lamps. The coverage is below the low beams. I was hoping for a wide pattern.

Either reflector is at fault or shield is too big/deep.

Could you post some pics of them one when you get them wired up? Can you also post where you bought them from and what you actaully paid? Thank you!

07MZ5SA said:
Can you show the mounting of lamp assembly? Looks like a perfect fit.

I have some regret after installed OEM fog lamps. The coverage is below the low beams. I was hoping for a wide pattern.

Either reflector is at fault or shield is too big/deep.
Sorry, no pics of the bracket. :(

Optilux

2cam16 said:
No kidding ! It only cost me $20 plus shipping. I had a similar model of Optilux on our former Odyssey and they were still working when we sold the van. Not bad for generic Hellas.

May I ask where you got them ?? Are more available ??

MSP5 said:
Could you post some pics of them one when you get them wired up? Can you also post where you bought them from and what you actaully paid? Thank you!
Will do, that's until someone can share the wiring diagram of the 5. I haven't really explored under the dash yet so hopefully soon.
I bought it from this seller on E-bay:
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

They also have an online store which I've bought from in the past:
http://www.rallylights.com/
Great group of guys and service .

Back