Stumble @ Idle

smmra

I was sitting in the wife's 5 yesterday and noticed a slight stumbling at idle. This being my first Mazda, I am not sure if this is a characteristic of the 2.3. Has any else experienced the same thing?

Me three...I think.

Occasionally I'll get a buck or a hick-up when the 5 is cold. Just one, then it's fine.

I seem to really notice the stumble once the engine has reached normal operating temp. It is quite annoying. The car has less than 4000 km on it. I guess I will bring it up when I get my first oil change next week.

I've never noticed a stumble on idle. In fact, just the other day I was thinking how smooth the 5 is on idle: no vibration, stumble, anything. Granted, the 5 is not my daily driver, but I've been behind the wheel probably half of its 10K miles.

the_saint said:
lol, that's cool, but we're talking about the new Mazda5

not the Prot5 :)

Whatever you do, DON'T try to fix it yourself or you'll void the warranty. Just take it to the dealer and let them phuck with it. It's probably nothing but it's better to be safe than sorry.

I've experienced my 5 stumble a few of times, during the first 2000 miles. And the engine was warm during those occasions. I thought that the engine was going to die. It hasn't happened in the last few months though.

MSP5 said:
Wassup fellow Omaha resident. Nice 5. Is that one yours? Differen H&T lights.
You missed the most obvious difference...it's RED!
lol, no it's not mine, it's just a pic from my Premacy gallery.

MSP5 said:
Oh sorry, my 5 stumbles every once in awhile and the tranny sometimes takes is sweet time upshifting.
Oh man, I hear that. I think that's my biggest gripe about the 5, right after the freezing latches and the suspension noises.

OMG!!! I just had this happen to me for the first time yesterday afternoon!!! I was stopped at a red light, and when I began to accelerate the engine seemed to stutter a bit...It was similar to a misfire, and I thought for a second the car was going to stall on me...The temps here in my area were barely in the low 30's yesterday, and were probably the coldest my 5 has seen I've purchased it...It did this again and again until we were driving about a half hour or so and then suddenly the issue disappeared...

A quick trip into the service department today revealed nothing wrong at all and the tech was unable to duplicate the issue...Oh, and the temp is about 40 degrees with rain today...I was sent home with the newfound knowledge that these cars can sometimes exhibit this behavior before the engine warms up to what the tech said was "optimum performance levels"...

I hate to sound high and mighty on this one, but with the technology we have today, I can't accept a brand new car having issues in cold temps like this...I need the car that my family depends on everyday to perform consistantly and safely...

7red7 said:
OMG!!! I just had this happen to me for the first time yesterday afternoon!!! I was stopped at a red light, and when I began to accelerate the engine seemed to stutter a bit...It was similar to a misfire, and I thought for a second the car was going to stall on me...

Wow!!! this has happened to me a few times....my 5 is a five speed and it seems to happen out for me after engaging 2nd gear and the car is cold, its like i have shifted too early and it wants to stall, but after the stutter its still able to pull out of that gear, so i am not sure whats up....i've never had this happen with any of my other cars that are stick....lately when the car is cold i have been just riding the 1st gear out a lil longer and it hasnt happened since...so who knows....well just putting in my experience....merry xmas everyone!

I hate to sound high and mighty on this one, but with the technology we have today, I can't accept a brand new car having issues in cold temps like this...I need the car that my family depends on everyday to perform consistantly and safely...[/QUOTE]

That's what i'm sayin. I've had mine actually turn off twice in the morning when accelerating from a stop. Since then i've had it stutter a few times.

Oh and mines an auto and it seemed like it stalled in between 1st and 2nd

had this happened to me too several times now. i don't idle the car for more than 30 seconds at most before leaving. it's pretty scary when you're stopped at a "T" intersection waiting to turn and the car nearly stalls during the turn with oncoming traffic heading toward you. this is starting to piss me off now. but after that, it's fine. just one stumble and that's it.

I have had the same thing happen several times on the first and second 1-2 Shifts of the morning (was 25 degree F cold am).

Also twice to me and twice for my wife, the motor stalled when pushing accelerator first time in morning when backing up (was a cold am).

However these events occurred in the first couple months of driving and have not resurfaced again.

Since we are coming into our cold season here in No Cal, I will be curious to see if they resurface again with the cold temperatures. (Yes I know that 25 degrees F isn't as cold as some of you see, but it is about the lowest we see around here) :)

Back